Starcraft Mariner 1976 21'

JimbC

Chief Petty Officer
Ok guy's a lot has changed and been going on in my life since last post. I bought new house, moved had to redo house, and still not done. But anyway have pulled the 21' mnr out from the back and cleaned it up. been looking around to see what it would cost to have someone build a all aluminum transom. The one guy I've talked with will do it but it was way more than I want to pay,$400.00 to build the frame out of aluminum tubing and skin one side and hand it off to me. either I need to buy a welding machine or find someone cheaper. I think I could do it for about 1/4 or so using wood. I really wanted to do it in aluminum,but.
Oh well so this coming thursday I go under the knife for a abdominal hernia (you can see it in Video,don't laugh) Also have 5 bulging disk in my back and need to probally have surgery to fix them,so now I won't be able to do anything with the boat for at least 6 weeks. I still have the other motor that came with the boat, but a few weeks ago I found a replacement on craigslist for a good deal, same motor 1979 Mercury 115 HP compression 135 to 140 all 6 cyl's Here is a small video of it running . I need to rebuild the carbs and possibly the fuel pump as it wont hold the prime from the tank, but runs and cranks great on the muffs. I'll post more when I get a chance going out of town for work this week.
http://vid61.photobucket.com/albums...Of Power Inline 6/77 Mercury 115/Zi6_0281.mp4

Last edited:

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander
Howdy, welcome back.

You could always get a press brake and rivet gun. I'm on the fence about aluminum welding.Eventually they crack.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Welcome back, also not a big fan of welding aluminum. Epoxy encased ACX/Arauco plywood would be far & away my 1st choice. 2nd would be the same plywood & spar/paint.

Good luck w/ pending surgeries. DO what they tell you to. I've had 2 repaired and need a 3rd repair. All in about the same location.

You must have relocated the video in your PB acct. Merc running video link doesn't work.

JimbC

Chief Petty Officer
Errrr yea not sure what i did there is the video now. Thanks guy's

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Video worked, that Merc runs like a champ! :thumb:

Yeah after my hernia surgery last year I wouldn't even dare crack a smile at a guy who has to get one repaired.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Second worst pain I ever suffered was after an appendectomy. I was in a hospital with all the sick people and one of them gave me the flu. The first cough/sneeze was a loo-loo, let me tell ya. After that I tried to double up before it hit, but I wasn't moving very fast. Be careful, Jim.

On the transom - A thought. With the wood transom there may be some shock cushioning. It's still a solid unit, but with all metal it's also totally rigid. And I'm too cheap to spend 4 times + for a transom that will outlive me when a ply transom will outlive me too.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
You are in no condition to be working on that boat, Sell it to me !

JimbC

Chief Petty Officer
Video worked, that Merc runs like a champ! :thumb:

Yeah after my hernia surgery last year I wouldn't even dare crack a smile at a guy who has to get one repaired.
Ouchhhhhhhhhhh! you got that right.

roscoe I did think about selling it a while back but then changed my mind. Who knows once I start working on it. Then again this boat doesn't need much just the decking and transom.

Last edited: