1970's 12' Starcraft Sea Scamp

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Hey fellas, check out the new rig I hauled home!
IMG_0136.jpg

IMG_0137.jpg

IMG_0138.jpg

IMG_0139.jpg

IMG_0140.jpg

IMG_0141.jpg

jbcurt00

Staff member
Nice looking mini-SC. I have that 4hp motor, mine needs a carb rebuild though.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Hey I noticed that Scamp in your sig line this morning before your thread got started. She looks to be in great shape, most of those little tinnys are beat to a pulp. Your going to be looking for a trailer too before long, those little buggers can be awkward back breakers when loading/unloading alone.

Weep'n Willy

Master Chief Petty Officer
Very nice. She looks in great condition. ( I don't think you will really need to run the motor though in your backyard pond. :) )

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Congrats on the new addition Jas!!!! Boat & motor appear to be in excellent condish!!! :thumb:

Pool-upgrade as well?? :D

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander
What about the 14' mirrocraft? Scamps are cool, sweet little car topper you got there.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Whew - We won't have to witness cutting 10 feet out of the Islander. :eek: She's suffered enough! :lol:

Your new Sea Scamp looks in really good shape. Water ready, I take it?

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Hey thanks fellas! I landed her for almost nothing. I sold a couple of old boat pieces I had here in the garage from scrapped out hulls and added in a hundred bux of my own cash, super deal!

We are headed out on vacation for the 2nd and 4th weeks of July and while I have 3 nice alum boats here on the property, (as you know) none are ready for action. This little Scamp won't pull a tube but it'll get the boys and I out fishing in the morning eh:thumb:

JB - Man do I love that little 4 horse, almost nothing to it mechanically and super light. When I got it the starting mechanism was loose so it wouldn't pull start. Took me longer to find my socket set than to get that fixed. Then, got her started, ran very rough - noticed a hairline crack in the fuel filter housing. $3.50 part swapped out within minutes, now she runs perfect! Looks to be in excellent condition too...
IMG_0132.jpg

IMG_0135.jpg

IMG_0133.jpg

Water - Yah, overall she is in really nice shape. There are a ton of holes in the gunwales from stuff being bolted on but besides that, she's great! I even have all the important parts - bow cap, stern caps/handles... I even have two ultra rare intact Starcraft emblems on there, nice! Yah, I hear ya on the trailer, it's a little bit of an inconvenience. The kiddos are still a little bit small to be helpful with carrying n' stuff. But, since Jen got her pop up camper and I'll need to be towing that, this will fit the bill nicely. It only takes me about 5 minutes to flip it up there by myself...
IMG_0153.jpg

Plus, no trailer means, no rust, no tires, no springs, no bearings, no wiring, no lights, no coupler, no chains, no crank, no bunks, no paint to rework......no trailer to rebuild, yessssssssssss!

Willy - yah man, she's ready for the water now! Imagine that, unbolt all the junk off the boat, tinker with the motor, maybe 30 minutes all told, water ready boat!

BF - Yah that pool was what kept me busy last summer, and a chunk of this summer (for the deck). All recycled (cheap) stuff you see there. The 15' x 30' pool was a clist grab for a couple hundred bux. All the decking was my big stack of bleacher boards that I won on auction for like $35. It's been a huge project that has taken a ton of time but I now have (sorta) an in-ground pool at bottom feeder pricing, yah baby! The kids love it too, they are in there all day, I can't get them out! I still have all the landscaping to do this summer yet.

BD - Yah, the MirroCraft was traded for a snow machine (rocket with skis). Then I traded the snow machine for a quad. Then I sold the quad for more than double what I paid for the Mirro Craft originally. Course I did all that knowing full well that another 16 footer would be back on the property:becky:

GA - Yah buddy, ready for action! I see this being a project down the road. Should be quick and easy eh! I think it'll be fun to have the boys work on that with me.

Chief - You wanna know whats funny, I was thinking I could do just that. When I make my way up to Isle Royal for a big trip with the boys, I could motor across the big lake pulling this little Scamp. With the rocky shoreline that would be a really nice way to come ashore for camp, sweet!

Weep'n Willy

Master Chief Petty Officer
Man that motor is nice and clean, beautiful. Isle Royale, yea that's the place to go. When I lived in the Keweenaw I tried to make trip over there every year. Shorter to leave from Copper Harbor as it was only 40 miles across instead of 60 out of the north entry of Houghton. The scenery is great and the fishing is fantastic. Would love to go back over there , maybe in a couple years.

InMotion

Commander
Nice rig man!!! Love the simplicity of it all.... boat, camper and 1 vehicle! Gotta love it!

Jim

GA_Boater

Hey Jas - Could you put the Scamp on top of the camper? Less height to lift. Or feed the crew more Wheaties. :smile:

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Willy - Yah man, I've done some canoeing up on the Island, awesome place, true wilderness and I can't wait to go back:joyous:

IM - Yup, I hear that, simple, simple, simple, love it:thumb:

GA - Yah, that's an option too though I'd have to buy a rack system for the camper. Plus I'd have to haul the camper to the launch or wherever to get it in the water yah know. It would be nice to not lift it so high but it's all good.:fish2:

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Scamper Camper...................?????????

Oh boy:rolleyes::drunk:

Must be getting pretty pretty hot down there in the southland, I do believe you need a tall ice tea to cool off or something eh:eagerness:

(Kidding man, that was pretty good:witless:)

GA_Boater

Your missing your chance to be a "Scamper Camper Skipper" :lol:
It's good to see you posting again, Jas. I missed your nocturnal updates and musings. :smile: :thumb:

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
HOLY MOLY! GA was promoted to MODERATOR and I was demoted to CADET!!!
:jaw:

Actually, this could work in my favor, acting like a punk while he has to be Mr. Responsible is good stuff!:evil::eyebrows::heh:

Congrats broham!!!!:encouragement:

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
So yesterday was the maiden voyage of the Sea Scamp. For whatever reason I couldn't get the little Johnson started. I had it running perfect the other day, starting on the first pull, smooth..... Now, I dunno??? Best I can tell is that I might have flooded it. I'll have to put it in a barrel and check it out here.

So, we went with a more primitive method of propulsion. Here's Ryan and Ethan getting their first crack at rowing...

That little boat sure isn't anything fancy but I do love hangin with the boys, good times:thumb:

Happy 4th everybody:becky:

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Jas - Check the paperwork again, maybe you picked up a Viking and not a Sea Scamp. ha,ha. I don't think you guys got up to trolling speed but they were having fun and that's what counts! Yeah buddy!