Identifying Starcraft

I have been lurking on this site and others for several weeks now. I am trying to identify my new to me Starcraft and it's not going so well. I think it's a jupiter v. It's 16'-0" long and 74"wide. Has one support from the floor to the transom. Originally had a gas tank installed in the bow with a filler on the bow. Has the 20" tall wrap around windshield with built in vent.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
It looks like you are trying to post some photos, hunter. We've found out Photobucket or another pic hosting site is best for showing pics here. In PB, just click on the IMG code and paste the link in the body of the post. You get larger pics that way, too.

And forgive me, I left my manners in the bilge. :welcome: to the Land of TinNauts.

The built in fuel tank and that front chrome rail are what keep throwing me for a loop. I have absolutely no info about this boat.

This boat is definitely going to need to be restored. The PO had tried to do a cheap restoration on the boat. He was getting a divorce and sold it as you see it for $200. Other than some poor patching and cheap materials (osb board and indoor/outdoor carpet) the boat is in good shape with almost no damage. I have torn all the easy stuff off so far and pushed the boat off the trailer. I want to get the trailer fixed up and ready to go before I get too crazy on the boat. No point in putting new paint on carpetless bunks.

I plan to keep the paint colors as is. I am going to gluvit the interior after all the welding is done. The PO had made an beautiful teak dash that I think is going to look sharp on the boat. I may even put some teak accents in other areas. The starboard side will have a bench with rod storage under while the port side will have pedestal seating. Instead of sliding doors in the back I have a fold up table idea that I want to tackle. I will post more info on that i get to that point. The fuel will all be in the bow since that's where it was originally installed and thats where the filler and vent are. I dont plan to restore this to original, I am going to put on LED lights, modern steering, more modern vents, etc.

I have a 50 hp outboard and a 15 hp kicker waiting to go on. I am not sure what these were originally rated for as far as hp but I figure if I keep it under 90 i am safe.

Last edited:

Weep'n Willy

Master Chief Petty Officer
Pretty nice looking rig and the price was pretty good at that. Good luck with her

GA_Boater

Hey - hunter, the exterior doesn't look bad at all. The bow rail and bow mounted tank are PO add-ons. Judging by the gull wing hull, she's a 1965 or newer. For the 200 bucks did you get any paperwork? And max HP for a Jup is 85.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Very nice find! :thumb:

A great price, paints not to bad, windshield looks good, hull not corroded or dented up. I think you got a steal on that one!

Wonder why the PO went to all the trouble of bending up and screwing down a railing when theres really no way to get up on that little bow cover. I guess he liked the looks of it.

Looking forward to seeing her back in action and in the water.

hayko1971

Starmada Splash of the Year 2015
Sweet little boat you got yourself there, I really like it!

Thanks for the info GA-Boater! No paperwork of any kind with the boat or the trailer. I thought the rail would be an add-on, in the brochures you can see them on some of the other models but not the Jupiter. Also found some other boats online with a factory mounted fuel tank. (this one shows it clearly http://boatinmotion.wordpress.com/)

The pictures hide the paint problems. Underneath it is peeling like sunburn. At least it shouldn't take . There are two patches that I am going to replace, one in the bow where I am guessing the bow stop went through. The hole was covered by a piece of galvanized steel plate. In the back is another patch that has been on there for years. I will replace both of these with a piece of aluminum welded to the hull both inside and outside. I am also going to fill any holes I can find and don't need while the tig is out. Then new primer and paint. Fix everything up right and she'll be around for another 50 years.

GA_Boater

Your link is to our very own InMotion and his Jupiter. :D He just finished another SC and is in the process of passing it to a new owner. I think there is a topic on it in the last few days here in the SC forum.
I said OP installed tank and I should have said "or dealer". Back then few boat packages were sold by the manufacturers. A bare boat came to a dealer and a motor and trailer were selected by the buyer and the dealer put it all together. InMotion's was like that when the original buyer choose OMC power. Most likely it's the same with yours. Not really important and the tank up front often helps in the boat balance.
What is important is the paperwork. I don't know where you live, but some places are a bear to get an undocumented boat and trailer registered. Before dropping too much money in her, check that out. We have too many sad stories. Just wanted to make you aware of the pitfalls.

Last edited:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
The patched hole in the bow I've seen that repair many times, it's from the PO getting the boat ****-eyed on the trailer and being bull headed enough to keep winching until they rip the bow eye right out. So they patch the hole and move the eye up. I have a boat with the same repair.

InMotion huh...i was bummed his thread didnt go any further on that site. Good to hear there is more.
Well I guess I did get a bill of sale, otherwise I would be screwed. The registration numbers on the boat are still on the starboard side so I can register the boat with that and the bill of sale. The trailer is more of a pain. I thought I could use the bill of sale and the serial number on the trailer but that's not the case. So now I have to take it in to get inspected and will be registering it as a homemade trailer. By the time its finished it might as well be a new trailer. New tongue, new winch, new fenders, new hubs, new bunks, new rollers, new wiring, new lights, and new paint.
Watermann-I thought the same thing for a few minutes, but the original bow eye hook is still on there and the hole is punched inwards. Looks like someone used the boat without a front bow stop. When the boat went forward whatever was being used in place of the bow stop put a hole through the bow.

Anybody know if anyone on here has added a fuel tank to the front? Also anyone strengthened the bow for walking on and added a walkthrough windshield? It would sure make beaching a lot easier.

Well its been busy last few weeks. I am pretty sure I have sold my old boat (12' alumacraft on this site). That will be a nice chunk of money to help fund the starcraft build.

I also found a '91 TI trailer on craigslist. $190 and two hours later it was sitting in my driveway. Some new bunks and a set of Optronics Glolight led lights was all it needed. I turned around and sold the old trailer for $120. I cant complain.

Between the new trailer, cutting hay, and working overtime I havent made much progress on the boat. I got the transom out and have almost finished pulling off all the little accessories. Next up is welding on the PO's two attempts at patching and any holes. Once thats done its prepping for paint and paint!

20140718_201511_zps3f0b0479.jpg

There is a little corrosion but it doesnt seem like its eaten away much metal.
20140718_201429_zpsa37d34e7.jpg

I built a quick template of the fuel tank I want to order to see how it fits. Its good enough that I think I will go ahead wiht selling the big aluminum tank that came with the boat.
20140718_212210_zpsc0bb27f1.jpg

Last edited:

InMotion

Commander
Hey HFC.... just a note about putting the tank in the bow... the Jup's will wallow a fair bit if you put too large of a tank up there. I had a 24 gallon and usually ran it 3/4 full. As a result, when I went over 25 mph, the boat always porpused... it was if the motor wanted to get the front end up, couldn't hold it and then the bow would fall back down. The cycle repeated. I had to run the 90 Johnson fully trimmed down aways in order to keep it from porposing. Now that I have the tank out, I can run the new motor I have fully trimmed up no problem at all.

Just a little FYI for ya there!

Looking good though!

Take care,

Jim