16' Starcraft SS (79) Rebuild

DrWiffel

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm going to have to do it the old fashion way... brush. :faint2:. No sprayer here. NBD just means that I'll have to take some time to get it done.

DrWiffel

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Might sound dumb, but at the risk of humiliation I'm going to ask anyways, can you use a cooking roller and just use you're own weight?:D

jbcurt00

Staff member
Might sound dumb, but at the risk of humiliation I'm going to ask anyways, can you use a cooking roller and just use you're own weight?:D

I think the J roller is @ $20 at HD/Lowes, use one from the kitchen at your own peril...... Many would be worried about brain damage after the frying pan to the skull from the Admiral......

I don't know how much pressure is required, but a J roller has a much smaller contact surface then a kitchen rolling pin does.....

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I think the skillet is only used because the Admirals roller has contact cement on the handles. Otherwise the rolling pin is too handy when she finds out. LOL

I don't know if a commercial roller is available at rental stores. May be?

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

use whatever you want...it's your skull...

...in order to get the full effect, use the admiral's measuring cups for applying the cement :lol:

The project is coming along great DrW!

DrWiffel

Petty Officer 2nd Class
haha... good point. Pregnant, pissed, with a frying pan... no thanks. I'll do some strolling around the internet and HD to see what kind of deals I can find. Maybe HD has one that I can use for $5 a day or something. It doesn't really seem like something that I will be using a lot of. Hate to buy one just to have it sit around forever.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I remember the guy who used his wife's hand mixer to mix epoxy. I say remember because I don't think I've seen him around since. mmmmmm

jbcurt00

Staff member
I remember the guy who used his wife's hand mixer to mix epoxy. I say remember because I don't think I've seen him around since. mmmmmm

Caught fire if I remember correctly the mixer you're talking about.............

J roller:
gundlach-j200b.jpg

DrWiffel

Petty Officer 2nd Class

:behindsofa: Nothing to see here people, nothing to see :bolt:

I'll take a look at what both cost and figure it out. I didn't think about having to roll at all, so at least I know that before I get started.

DrWiffel

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Got some more work done on the floor, nothing worth posting pictures. Just added some more rivets to the floor and some nuts to the transom. I should have the floor completed the next time I work on it.

I gave it some thought last night, looking at the Contact Cement label warning on the explosive vapors, and I?m thinking I might just have to ask HD to order in the type Dozer is recommending. The garage I?m working in is heated with a bullet heater, and I?m kind of worried that the heater might ignite the fumes, and that with the garage door open, it might get too cold in there for the Contact Cement to work.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Get the garage warmed up good, turn off ignition source and apply the glue while wearing a respirator.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Get the garage warmed up good, turn off ignition source and apply the glue while wearing a respirator.

And look up the MSDS and Tech sheet for the glue. See what it's off gas time is, or dry time. Once it's mostly off gassed and dry enough to lay the vinyl, IMO, you'd be safe turning the heat back on. If your garage is attached, you may be sunk anyway..... Mine is extremely sensitive to stuff I use in the garage even w/ the door up, working just inside the roll up door, w/ a fan blowing out........

cj8mule

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Hey Doc... if I remember right, the cement in the picture I posted is the water base stuff. I got it from the HD. I honestly don't remember the fumes being bad with that stuff. Also, IMHO you will want that j-roller.

DrWiffel

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I think that might just have just that. Stick a fan around the boat, heat the garage to a really warm temp, open the doors, and have at it. I suspect that it will be a week or 2 out yet

DrWiffel

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Was able to get some work done on the floor this weekend. Installed the vinyl on Saturday. I heated the garage for a good 6 hours before opening all the doors and windows, moved the heater outside to blow some heat in and keep the air moving. Rented a heavy roller from HD for $15 to help press it down. I did get pretty dizzy after working in there for about an hour and had to wrap it up.

Pic is the text fit with out the contact cement. Didn't want to spend any more time in there then I had because of all the fumes. I'll get some more later.

So something I realized this weekend was that I neglected to cut a board for the back of the transom that fastens to the outside. How important is that board? I was thinking of doing some looking for a large cutting board that I can shape and fasten to the back, but if it's more of a cosmetic thing, I just might save it for a later time.

On the plus note. We gave birth to a healthy 9lb-3oz boy on the 2nd. Now i need to figure out how to fasten some floatations to the car seat
becky.gif

jbcurt00

Staff member
Are you asking about a piece of wood on the OUTSIDE of the transom?

It's cosmetic and prevents damage to the aluminum transom skin.

Might add minimal support/strength to the transom, some swap to a nice piece of aluminum, at least 1 has swapped to the cutting board material, Starboard is a brand name of a similar material. You can buy it online and via ebay.

Some leave it off.

No matter what you add, if you add thickness to the transom, make sure your motor clamps will fit over the now wider transom, and you have the correct length thru bolts.