1975 Starcraft 16' SS

jdupree

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just inherited this boat from my dad. He was going to send it to an auction because he didn't use it anymore. I love the way the little boat rides so I took it off his hands. He has replaced the deck and put in new carpet and that is as far as he got. The motor runs great and most recently has had a new head gasket, water pump, and carbs rebuilt.

It will need a transom. It has considerable flex back there. Unless I am missing something, this seems like a fairly straight forward job to replace the wood in the transom? Any tips, suggestions, advice would be greatly appreciated before I begin.

Also, need to upload some pictures but need directions.

Last edited:

Tnstratofam

Commander
:welcome: Welcome to the tinsanity! To post pics open a free photobucket account, and copy the images you upload there directly to your post's here on the forum.

As for the transom you can check out my transom replacement the link is in my sig. Lots of great projects going on here. Lots of great advice as well. Good luck, and post some pics when you can...

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
The dreaded double post. And no way to remove the link.

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Welcome to the Tin Drydock, JD. I like your plan to save Dad's tinny. :smile: All the Starcraft restos are here, take a peek at some of the SS threads. http://forums.iboats.com/forum/owne...ft-rebuilds-and-restorations-they-re-all-here

Like Tn, said use Photobucket to store your pics and copy the IMG code for a pic and paste that into your posts. There are other ways, but for now with the forum software change (which is improving daily), PB seems to work the best.

GA_Boater

Welcome to the Tin Drydock, JD. I like your plan to save Dad's tinny. :smile: All the Starcraft restos are here, take a peek at some of the SS threads. http://forums.iboats.com/forum/owne...ft-rebuilds-and-restorations-they-re-all-here

Like Tn said, use Photobucket to store your pics and copy the IMG code for a pic and paste that into your posts. There are other ways, but for now with the forum software change (which is improving daily), PB seems to work the best.

Looking for your pics and have some fun!. :D

jdupree

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for the welcome guys! Got digging around the transom area and made a great discovery that the transom is fine. The metal bracket that bolts to the transom was loose. The six nuts that secure it to the transom were loose and one was actually missing. This had caused the splashwell to seperate from the transom. I fixed the bracket with lock washers and replaced the screws that secure the splashwell and now she is tight as a tick!

Now I can concentrate on other improvements! Here are some pictures. She needs some work cosmetically, but is sound otherwise.

jdupree

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for the welcome guys! Got digging around the transom area and made a great discovery that the transom is fine. The metal bracket that bolts to the transom was loose. The six nuts that secure it to the transom were loose and one was actually missing. This had caused the splashwell to seperate from the transom. I fixed the bracket with lock washers and replaced the screws that secure the splashwell and now she is tight as a tick!

Now I can concentrate on other improvements! Here are some pictures. She needs some work cosmetically, but is sound otherwise. The splashwell needs some paint badly. I was thinking about painting it. Any suggestions of a good paint for that?

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Great looking SS you have there! Cool to restore a family heirloom too. :thumb:

So this is the first time your SS has been rehab'd? Nice to have that CMC TnT on there.

Guess the only advice I can give right now is to replace the 39 year old plywood transom, you won't be sorry. I'm sure it's wanting to de-laminate and If nothing else piece of mind that it's done and not coming apart after a few years of steady use. Bet you'll find galvanic corrosion between the skin and the wood too that is eating away at the AL.

jdupree

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Great looking SS you have there! Cool to restore a family heirloom too. :thumb:

So this is the first time your SS has been rehab'd? Nice to have that CMC TnT on there.

Guess the only advice I can give right now is to replace the 39 year old plywood transom, you won't be sorry. I'm sure it's wanting to de-laminate and If nothing else piece of mind that it's done and not coming apart after a few years of steady use. Bet you'll find galvanic corrosion between the skin and the wood too that is eating away at the AL.

Thanks for the advice. At a minimum, I do plan to pull the motor off and replace the wood mount on the outside. That won't take long and it will give me a good look at what is under there. I do know this boat has spent it's entire life in fresh water so that's a plus right there!

jbcurt00

Staff member
Consider NO motor plate, or a non-wooden plate, 1/8-1/4" aluminum perhaps.

Watermann

Thanks for the advice. At a minimum, I do plan to pull the motor off and replace the wood mount on the outside. That won't take long and it will give me a good look at what is under there. I do know this boat has spent it's entire life in fresh water so that's a plus right there!

Yeah my Sea Nymph was 100% fresh water and it had a bunch of white corrosion between the wood and the AL that left lots of pits I had to wheel, scrub, clean, fill, sand and prime to kill it. The wood was good too but of 1978 vintage with no rot but was starting to delaminate. What I didn't like to see was how porous and flakey looking the outer layer had become due to only having one thin coat of paint applied by the factory and no sealer.

jdupree

Petty Officer 2nd Class
How hard is it to remove the splash well? Do I just need to remove all the screws underneath that attach to transom? My dad already replaced the deck so that won't need to come out. Going to put in a new transom and if I could remove the splash well it will give me much better access. I am planning to paint the splash well as well if it comes out fairly easy. Thanks in advance!

MNhunter1

Ensign
How hard is it to remove the splash well? Do I just need to remove all the screws underneath that attach to transom? My dad already replaced the deck so that won't need to come out. Going to put in a new transom and if I could remove the splash well it will give me much better access. I am planning to paint the splash well as well if it comes out fairly easy. Thanks in advance!

You'll need to remove all the screws underneath and drill out the rivets attaching it to the gunnels. Hardest part is just getting to the numerous screws and rivets, not difficult, just somewhat tedious. I'd absolutely recommend removal if installing new transom and planning to paint, but it can be done without removal.

InMotion

Commander
+1 to what all have said.... it's not what you can see that is likely to be bad --- up under the rear gunwale caps there is likely to be rot --- even if the transom otherwise looks fine.

J.

Watermann

You'll also need to drive out the drain tubes, fold over the inside flange and punch them out.

jdupree

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks guys. It looks like some have replaced the transom without removing the splash well? Anyway, I have looked through some of the threads and if anyone could point me to a good transom replacement thread I would appreciate it. Thanks!

jdupree

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok, between the weather and being sick just now got around to pulling the transom. Transom was very solid and dry in the center, but the two pieces at the top corners were toast and that allowed water intrusion near the corners. Under the transom plate on the exterior is in great shape. No pitting at all.

I took out the splash well to give me easier access plus I will be painting the splash well. Here are some pics: