1972 15' Nova rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

MNhunter1

Ensign
Did you use the roll and tip paint method?

Just the roll, skipped the tip. It's a really thick vinyl paint with a satin finish, so I wasn't too concerned with tipping it. Did see some variation between the two different foam rollers I used however.

Golfer50

Seaman Apprentice
Nice job. I think it came out great, and look forward to seeing the finished product.

MNhunter1

Ensign
With the character of the +40 year old hull and the fact that welding repairs have more than likely compromised the integrity of the factor seam sealant/smeg, I decided to add a little extra 5200 insurance. With the promising results of my recent bathroom tub re-caulk off the honey do list, I used the same approach to tackle the exterior hull seams. The tape job was a tedious and time consuming task, but the end results were worth it. Ran a bead of 5200 along the seams with a cheap plastic syringe and smoothed it out with a gloved finger before pulling up the tape. I had debated doing this before paint, but went with after due to the uncertainty of the paint adhesion to the 5200. I may still top it with some paint after it cures, but will wait to see how much it actually stands out once the boat is reassembled and all the trim and hardware is added.

MNhunter1

Ensign
Placed an order for another quart of paint today as what is left of my original gallon will be hard pressed to complete the bow cap that still has yet to be painted. I will also be using the paint on the interior of the hull that is visible under the bow cap and forward of the side boards. All in all, $100 in paint to complete the job, as well as some foam rollers, a couple brushes, MT, JB, a pile of orbital sanding pads, and multiple jugs of aircraft stripper. Only took me a little over a year to get this far, but things are moving forward 😎

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Paints looking good MN, it can't hurt to add some extra leak insurance. :thumb:

MNhunter1

Ensign
Well, aside from watching paint cure, it's been a pretty uneventful week on the restoration. Did manage to break loose the lower cylinder cap of the HF air riveter and get it all prepped for action.

More importantly, I just signed my life away on a new home construction...w/ 1040 sq/ft of attached and heated hanger space, not to mention the attic trusses above for a little more storage 😎. My wife doesn't quite understand the whole need for such a large heated garage and storage space, but that's okay👌. She can do what she wants with the rest of the place 😄

Watermann

Didn't scroll up enough to see your vacation pics, looks like the kiddos enjoy water... they're gonna love a boating vacation. :D

Congrats on the new hangar, oops I mean home ;)

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Congratulations!!! You'll be all set for MBS...with that much sq footage...multiple projects on parallel! :thumb:

MNhunter1

Ensign
Trying to get all the 5200 work done and the Gluvit down before packing her away to get the house sold. Movin' forward...

Still have the splashwell drains and bow eyes to install...

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
You would never know that the transom was hacked! Very nice recovery! :thumb:

Good luck on the house sale! I packed my SS way 13 months ago for the same reason and we're STILL dealing with the sale....hopefully closing on current & new homes this week.

Tnstratofam

Commander
I just wanted to add that the transom looks very clean, and the paint color choice is adding to the cean look. Very professional looking work. Keep it up and you'll be back on the water very soon.

Watermann

Looking great MN! I think you have an addiction to 5200 :lol:

MNhunter1

Ensign
Well...had to pack up the Nova and put her to bed for the next few months. Foundation is currently being constructed on the new hanger/house and our current home is hopefully going on the market tomorrow morning. I did manage to get all the paint, gluvit, and 5200 work completed before packing her away, including the inside bow of the hull. All goes well, I'll have her back in mid-December and start the foam and floor install in the comforts of the new heated hanger :D

Status
Not open for further replies.