1972 15' Nova rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

dozerII

Admiral
$70 for the Baltic vs $46 for Arauco ACX in a 3/4" 4x8 sheet...is there $24 worth of difference?

You pretty much have to look at the two to see the difference, I purchased some 3/4 Arauca and had it lean against the wall for two weeks and I couldn't get the warps out of it, the Baltic doesn't do that. I would not use the Baltic for flooring too expensive but dash's and bracing no question.
Also I used pool noodles in the past but would not use them ever again sheet foam is far better.

jbcurt00

Staff member
As far as the existing replacement foam, EPS, goes, its very similar (exactly the same?) to what SC used originally, and styro cooolers. If you're confident it's in good shape, and was well done, you could leave it, and be diligent w/ the care, maintenance and storage of the boat. You'll start to notice styro beads in the bilge when there's a problem w/ the EPS.

If you pull the deck and reuse it after re-doing the foam, I suspect you could hit some of the previous rivet holes you'd be drilling the rivets out of. Not knowing how well the below decks was packed w/ EPS and how diligent the PO was in keeping the stringers and structure aligned when he installed the deck, I don't know if you'd be able to hit 50%, 75% or 95% of those previous rivet holes. Once you pull the deck and start replacing the EPS w/ XPS, some of that stuff might move around a bit. And for re-riveting work, it doesn't take much change for mis-alignment to occur.

For sure I'd reserve pool noodles for at anchor swimming and ABOVE deck added foam filling of nooks and crannies, but not for use below decks.

BTW: I use sections of pool noodle along the top of my windshield, tarp support structure and boat cleats while the boats are under cover, so although 100qty is a BUNCH, you might find other uses for them.... Got a spare 18V or 24V cordless drill and NEED a trolling motor?
DSC00486.JPG

MNhunter1

Ensign
Had to take advantage of some off season sales...2 sets of 48" Bert's Tracks, a pair of Bert's rocket launchers, 4 Scotty Powerlocks, 4 Scotty rocket launchers, 4 Scotty extensions, and 4 Bert's adapter plates. Not sure what I'm going to do with them all, but at least I've got options :D

cj8mule

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Those look nice and lots of rod configuration options

64osby

Admiral
I'm confused, (so what's new).:facepalm:

Also includes an additional working lower unit...this one was rebuilt but only used a short time due to engine failure.

Does the engine run? Or is he just selling lots of parts. :confused:

MNhunter1

Ensign
Complete engine with spare lower unit, two sets of controls, and steering components. The hydro or electric shift is a big red flag though:(

MNhunter1

Ensign
Would there be much appreciable difference between my 35hp Merc and a 45hp Merc Classic 50 of the same year?

Both 1987 models

MNhunter1

Ensign
More info... The '87 35hp Merc I have for the Nova is very clean and was a great score. I just tend to feel that I may want a little more hp when all is said and done. I've got a few different angles that I'm working right now. Just trying to decide which way to go.

A) a guy is selling a very clean '87 45hp Merc Classic Fifty without controls, asking 700. Should be a direct swap with the controls for my current 35hp. Both have tilt and electric start. Would sell the 35hp without controls. 3 hour round trip.

B) there's a 1979 55hp Johnson attached to a nice looking 14' Holiday, believe to be an early 80s model, looks pretty original, few rivets on the bottom that look to have been band-aid fixed with JBweld, but otherwise pretty damn nice shape. No tilt on the motor though and was hoping to not be tempted with a 3rd rebuild. Asking 1800, but think he'd probably take 1200 or less. Could throw my 35 on for a complete package resale. Would still want to add a tilt unit, probably an aftermarket. 4 miles away.

C) '89 Johnson 60hp, professional rebuilt, asking 1400 without controls. 4hr round trip.

D) finish the Nova, run the 35hp I have on hand, and decide if I need more. Not looking to ski or win any races, just get on plane with a few adults on board.

64osby

Admiral
Max hp of 65 would mean use a 50 hp or more for best performance.

D gets you on the water. Test it out to see how it performs. If you don't like it then find a motor. Not as much pressure to purchase because you are on the water.

B doesn't sound too bad if it flips reasonably, after market TnT can get pricey.

C sounds too expensive, right size motor. Warranty???

A Mercs have less parts support and are typically harder to work on.

MNhunter1

Ensign
I now have both a 1987 35hp Mercury and a 1987 45hp Mercury "Classic Fifty" sitting in my garage. The "Classic Fifty" will find a home on the Nova, and the 35hp will help fund a nice 70hp Johnson or 'Rude for the 16SS...unless a nice flat bottom comes along that I can't resist in the meantime. The 35hp is just so clean I'll have a hard time letting her go.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
We initially had a 67 Evinrude 40 on our new 15' 70 Nova . Motor came off our very heavy large Fiberglass boat Nova performed better than the glass one
but the motor lacked any reserve when more than 2 with luggage and weekend supplies.Finally in 87 we got a new Erude 50 An amazing improvement both in
performanmce and economy.
Had a bench seat across the back that was useless.When I renovated I cut the seat in half and tucked it longitudinally behind the
front swivel bucket seats.Painted her black and did silver and black sparkle naugahide upholstery.
Paid $1200 for the boat in 1970 They allowed on paper $1200 toward our new 18' Starcraft pontoon. circa 1996.

MNhunter1

Ensign
The 87' Classic Fifty would be a prop rated 45hp, which should be pretty similar to a powerhead rated 50hp back in the day. I think it should be more than sufficient for the 550 pound spec platform for what I intend to use it for. Might need some prop adjustment to dial it in, but it'll be a huge improvement over the '68 33hp manual tilt, pull start, short shaft Johnson that was on there when I picked it up. If I need anything more, I'll find a nice 3cyl 60hp Johnson or Rude to replace it.

I'm going with 4 pedestal injection molded seats with plug-in bases, so that should shave a little weight off the original specs. Also stayed with a 1/2" floor and will run a 6 gallon tank to keep the weight down.

I have a whole file of pictures from any Nova that I've come across on the web, but I'm always looking for more information. I think I have a pretty good idea of the original platform, just trying to build it back to best meet my needs.

MNhunter1

Ensign
Thanks WM! Yeah, I picked up 10 of the Springfield Plug-in bases to use between the Nova and the SS. I have 5 with the Hi-Lo plug I plan to use for the rear seats and SS bow casting deck. The 2-3/8 seat mounts are the locking variety and should be driver rated when used in combination with the 2-3/8 plug-in pedestals. The Hi-lo pedestals I just plan to use for fishing, and can also remove them all together to drop the seats to the floor for the kids when underway. The standard 2-3/8 plug-in pedestals should also work with the bases equipped with the hi-lo inserts to give me some additional options. I believe when the hi-lo seat mounts are plugged directly into the base with no pedestal, they are good to go for >5mph. I'm debating a small rear casting deck/platform with those hi-lo bases positioned so the rear seats would not sit directly on the floor

I have four of the Springfield Skipper injection molded seats, 2 with the 2-3/8 mounts and 2 with the Hi-Lo mounts. Also have a pile of other used pedestals, mounts, and bases that I can scrounge from and plan to sell once I get the final seating configuration down.

Picked up all my new bases from the Springfield Scratch and Dent Store: http://www.springfieldmarinescratchanddent.com/plug-in-series/

Cascade Depot was the best price I found on the seats: http://www.cascadedepot.com/skipper-fold-down-chair-with-cushions-gray-charcoal/

MNhunter1

Ensign
Defender just started their spring warehouse clearance sale this afternoon. Nautolex is on sale at $17.09/yard (72" width). I just ordered 13 yards for the Nova and SS. Shipping was right around $30 for the 13 yards. Not too shabby if you're looking for Nautolex.

MNhunter1

Ensign
In with the new, out with the old... Got the new dash and bow supports all ripped out of a sheet of 3/4 ACX ply. Still need to seal it up with some spar, but nice to have it done.

We're looking to put our house on the market in the next few weeks, so unfortunately, the Nova will stay packed up in its winter storage until the house is no longer being shown. At least I've got a few odds and ends to make a little progress in the meantime. Upside is the new place will have a minimum 3 stall garage, with one stall dedicated to some Starcraft tin therapy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.