1972 15' Nova rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbcurt00

Staff member
If it runs & shifts, YES, esp w/ a spare motor, controls & etc.....

Might sell the extra controls & etc, keep the spare motor, and in a running 65hp OB for $250+/-....

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Powershift and wires coming out of the spare lower, mmmmm. Electric shift motor. I don't know for sure, but that seems to raise a lot of eyebrows.

MNhunter1

Ensign
"The motor that I have had not been rebuilt...it has good compression on all three cylinders. ..the one the other drive came off of had a cylinder go bad. ..when I opened it up the crank was bad too! That lower unit had just been rebuilt. So what you are getting is a 65 hp Motor complete plus an extra lower unit that has been rebuilt and cables. ..."

This is from a response to an email I sent to the seller.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Personally I would let him sell it in spring and make his fortune off someone else but that's just me. Late 70's is as far back as I would go for a Johnnyrude to avoid the dreaded electric shift lowers. There's a reason they stopped making them and it wasn't because they were awesome.

GA_Boater

Other than the lack of parts and expense if you do find parts, is the motor a long or short shaft? And you have to take the sellers word about the spare being a good work working unit. Has the seller said if the motor can be started on the stand?

MNhunter1

Ensign
I decided to pass. I have a nice mid 80's 35hp Mercury with tilt/trim for the Nova which should work just fine for the 550lb hull. I'll have plenty of time to find a nice 70hp Johnson or Rude for the SS before it's ready for a motor. Thanks for all the feedback!

MNhunter1

Ensign
While the Nova is all tucked in awaiting the spring, thought I'd throw out some fillers to keep the story line alive.

Hunting season came and went...with three weeks of evenings to hunt leading into the rut, my wife started giving me a hard time about leaving her home with the boys all day by Tuesday of week 1! Granted I had squeezed in a few sits on opening weekend and with some passing cold fronts, but my plan didn't exactly proceed as I would have hoped for. I laid down a decent 8 point 2 days later after having passed on three better bucks since the season began. My boys are 2 and 3, so I've been fortunate enough to get out as much as I do and made the compromise to spend time with the family. They're only little once, and will be sitting in a tree with me before I know it. Hit a little high and stuck an arrow in the spine, and had to send a 2nd through the vitals. Probably the smallest buck I've ever arrowed with my bow, but it's mine, and the venison is in the freezer. One deer limit this year in the area I hunt in MN, so that concluded my season.

I was fortunate enough to spend the opening weekend of the firearms season in northern MN with some of my good friends and was able to wrap my hands around a spectacular set of horns. The buck was shot by the 17 year old son of one of my good hunting partners, and was his second deer ever. I've spent many hours in a tree where this buck called home and never saw anything quite his caliber.

Now it's on to ice fishing and spring turkeys!!

MNhunter1

Ensign
And, back to the boat... Took advantage of the scratch and dent store and picked up 10 pedestal seat floor bases to distribute between the Nova and SS, as well as 4 of the Springfield Skipper injection molded seats and cushions from a different vendor. Not sure what the difference is between these, the Wise brand, and the Tempress all-weathers, but the price was right and it's the style I've been after. I have a bunch of odds and ends from other seats and pedestal components I managed to collect along the way, so I should pretty well have my seating taken care of for both platforms when the time is here. Still waiting on delivery, so no pictures as of yet.

MNhunter1

Ensign
Shopping for bilge pumps too... Looking at going with a Rule 500 manual and a Rule 800 manual on a float swtich. Two is one sort of thing. Assuming I'd need separate discharges for each, but what would be the best way to rig these up? I figured I'd use the 500 for routine/as needed/captain control type of basis, and have the 800 on a float as emergency reserve/overnight dock security duty. Good plan?

GA_Boater

Nice rack, MN.

On the bilge pumps, the set up you ran by is what I have. A smaller one is wired to the dash and is completely manual - On And off. The second larger pump is wired directly to the battery with the float switch. And yeah, two discharges.

Weep'n Willy

Master Chief Petty Officer
Nice high speed beef ya got there and the second buck is certainly a stud. Congrats to the both of you guys on some fine hunting. I am sure you are enjoying some great eating. My grandson and I were both successful on the opener of gun season and we have enjoyed some tenderloin medallions, had some for breakfast one morning then some for dinner on another.

Watermann

Oh yeah nice buck there for sure MNH, us meat eaters need to stick together. If God meant us to be vegetarians then he would have made it more fun to shoot vegetables!

I like the idea of 2 bilge pumps although my boats only have one in then and they don't ever get used except when I test them before each trip out.

astor

2018's Starmada Splash Of The Year.
I like the 2 pump idea, I was thinking of using the two bilge pump as well,but hadn't considered having one as automatic float switch control only.

MNhunter1

Ensign
Looks like I'll be coming home from work to multiple large boxes filled with new boat seats, cushions, and pedestal bases. Wish I had the number of my UPS driver to direct them to the side of the house rather than the front step where the admiral is sure to see them:) Hopefully the new HB798ci HD SI that I just picked up on black friday pricing will fly under the radar when it arrives. We're buying our own Christmas presents this year, right hun? :D

Watermann

I sure hope MNh gets to keep his internet privileges... :D

MNhunter1

Ensign
So far so good:)

Boxes arrived safely and all hands accounted for. Her biggest concern was where the big boxes were going to reside all winter. It's amazing how strollers, bikes, trikes, wagons, and other kid clutter can fill up a garage for the winter.

No worries dear, I'll make room;)

Last edited:

MNhunter1

Ensign
Received the decals I had made from Dave Shabestari last week...turned out perfect, very reasonable pricing, and a great guy to deal with. Had a couple sets made as I'm still undecided on color or solid black. Didn't get a picture snapped of the actual decals (they were packaged so nicely that I just closed them back up and set them aside until they're ready to affix to the hull), but here's a proof of the artwork.

I'm leaning toward the Duralux Marine Aluminum Boat Paint , actually somewhat committed as I already have a gallon of the paint. It's a primer and paint in one that is specifically intended for use on bare aluminum.

Only comes in an olive drab green color. I'll be going grey on the interior. Still undecided on whether to go black with all the trim or leave them in the stock aluminum finish. Leaning toward the stock finish for a durability standpoint, i.e. no paint or powdercoat to chip/scratch. However, I do really like the looks of this combination...

Status
Not open for further replies.