1964 Starcraft Holiday 18ft

Marvelous5891

Seaman
WM. Ya, mines got nothing on your SS. That thing is looking beautiful too. I hope mine turns out half as nice. I know I can do the painting without and issue. I used to do collision repair and was a painter for a couple of automotive shops as well as a semi dealership. It's the vinyl and interior work. This my first resto of this depth and caliber. I redid an old rundown 14' RBI at about 5 years ago and it turned out pretty good. I used the oil based paint but wasn't too happy with it. I'm leaning towards a base coat clear coat system on this one.

This was what I started with

And this was the finished product.

The hatch is my hold up on the decision of wether to open up the bow or not. I don't see a lot of function in it for me but from what I've heard on here, they are somewhat rare

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Hey that's some super nice work on the little tinny :thumb:

It's all up to you and what you want to use the boat for. Yeah the windshields didn't open on those early Hollys so they went with the islander and chief hatches they had laying about. :lol: Completely a bad idea as SC found and put the split WS on pretty quickly making the hatch bow holly somewhat rare.

Marvelous5891

Seaman
So I finally got a couple of days off. I made some progress. The other night I was able to get out in the shop for a little bit and I was able to pull up all but the stearin section of floor

Today I was able to spend a little more time working on the project. I got the last of the trim off and cleaned up the foam. Most of the wiring pulled. I also removed the inner and outer rub rails as well as the wooden supports.

And I was able to remove this little bugger without breaking it

I'm hoping to go back out after supper and do a little more work tonight. Then I'll have to continue on Monday since I have to work tomorrow 😞 Things left on the tear down list include removing the motor, splash well, transom, dash, and remaining piece of flooring. Then it's bath time for the old tinny

Marvelous5891

Seaman
Another positive note, the floor sections came out decently solid so I have great patterns for the new floor 👍

Watermann

You got lots of tough work accomplished today, lookin good!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
I'm leaning towards a base coat clear coat system on this one.

Your previous resto was gorgeous. I would not clear coat a boat. Boat's are going to need touch ups from time to time and a layer of clear is going to make that difficult.

oldhaven

Chief Petty Officer
I found the tear out phase with rotten wet decks under mildewed carpet, lots of dirty, heavy mouse chewed foam, and the corrosion I found under it and on the inner transom to be the low point of my project. Once I got the dirt and black out and all was bare aluminum my outlook improved considerably.

No-AH

Petty Officer 1st Class
It's good to have work days in the mix of all....for obvious reasons and to replenish the boat fund:D
Great progress mate!

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Good job on getting that nose cap off! I've read some horror stories on here. :thumb:

Marvelous5891

Seaman
Thanks everyone.
EZ, that's a good point to consider. I had t thought of that.
Old haven, I've been enjoying the whole process so far. It can get a little frustrating at times but these old boats are 1000 times better than doing rust repair on an old car.
No ah, a guy can never have enough extra funds
BWR, thanks, I've read some horror stories as well on here and was a little apprehensive about tackling it but it went pretty good, must've had a lucky horse shoe hiding in my shop, knock on wood

Marvelous5891

Seaman
So I made some more progress tonight. I figured I would sneak out for a little bit after dinner. I got the motor removed. I was also able to pull the splash well. Gave my forearm one heck of a work out on that task. The stern of this boat is built like a Sherman tank. The bottom of the splash well had around 40 screws securing it to the transom, and they were all standard screws to boot. As well as three knee braces. I hope the guys that built these boats back in the day made a decent wage.

Watermann

Yeesh what a mess, reminds me of something I once worked on :lol:

I do like the older models with 3 knee braces, don't see them broken very often like the singles.

Marvelous5891

Seaman
WM, it was a process but everything structural is in great shape. I was a little worried about my motor being a 115 when the tag says 100hp max but I think it should be fine. Plus I'm going to run a prop geared more towards power than speed so it can yank me up on one ski, I'm not as slim as I was back in the day 😂

Redneck, I was thinking the same thing today when I was working on it. Three tanks would give you plenty of cruising time

Marvelous5891

Seaman
So the progress for the day was great. I got the transom, rear floor section, and dash out this evening. Also vacuumed out the all the garbage.

Got this guy off in one piece. It's in decent shape except for where the motor sat. I think it's reusable.

And you can't beat the view and fresh air when it's almost 50 degrees out with the sun shining 👍

Watermann

Nice progress on the tear down, it's nice to have a blank slate. :thumb:

I haven't until now noticed how much they changed the hull designs over the years, it looks like your 18' Holly has pretty much a round bottom without the normal dead rise I'm used to seeing. The lap sides don't end there either, they go all the way across the bottom too.

887EC721-5BEF-4D2A-879D-03E496ED4A60_zpsmzs6jsxo.jpg

Marvelous5891

Seaman
Nice progress on the tear down, it's nice to have a blank slate. :thumb:

I haven't until now noticed how much they changed the hull designs over the years, it looks like your 18' Holly has pretty much a round bottom without the normal dead rise I'm used to seeing. The lap sides don't end there either, they go all the way across the bottom too.

887EC721-5BEF-4D2A-879D-03E496ED4A60_zpsmzs6jsxo.jpg

Yup, from what I could tell on a brochure I found, I can't remember if it was on here or just searching for old brochures, they changed the hull design to carry the v shape all the way back in 65. 😞 It's one year too old. But that's ok. The round bottom is where my apprehension lies with the 115hp motor. But I'm looking at opening the bow to do a SS conversion so to say. I'm thinking I might have to make two stringers and ditch the single stringer in the center to give the hull the structure it needs at the consoles since the dash was a big part of the structure up there. Otherwise I might have to go with 3/4" decking. As for the consoles, I will have to fab those up from scratch. But I'm gonna move them back from where the dash originally was to make the bow space nor usable. Then go with pedestal seats at the consoles and then a bench at the stern with a live well underneath.

Watermann

Sounds like an ambitious plan, very doable though. On the center stringer, I'd leave it there and add 2 on either side.

Marvelous5891

Seaman
Sounds like an ambitious plan, very doable though. On the center stringer, I'd leave it there and add 2 on either side.
It's gonna be a project but I think the end result will be nice, and have a lot more useable space. That's a good idea on the stringers. Thanks for the input

Marvelous5891

Seaman
Hello all. Sorry about my absence. Been pretty hectic around here between 60-70 hour work weeks and some other life events, I haven't had a lot of time to work on the old holiday. I'm at a point where I'm ready to map out the cut line on the bow. On a side note I picked a parts/ project boat for $50😐 No trailer or motor but it's in decent shape.

1984 sylvan sport 16'. My thoughts were to use the consoles and windshield but the consoles are a few inches shorter and the beam of the boat is about 6" narrower😞 But it's in decent shape so it can be a lawn ornament until I finish the holiday. I am leaning toward using the front deck supports that are riveted to the hull though, or at least using them as a template swing as I don't have any in my holiday