Do I need to remove the original paint to apply bottom paint

rommel

Recruit
I have searched but I am confused on whether I need to remove the original Starcraft paint from my 1985 Holiday. The paint that is there now appears in excellent condition. I bought the boat from the original buyer of the boat. He trailered it and only used it for 1 week/year and stored it indoors the rest of the time. Here are some pictures of what is there. I have read conflicting instructions between stripping the hull to bare, etching primer, epoxy base and then bottom paint or can I wet sand/rough up the existing hull and bottom paint over it since there is already a barrier. What if I decide to use Epaint, does that change the procedure since it does not contain any copper?

Attachments

• NCM_8455.jpg
    NCM_8455.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 2
  • NCM_8456.jpg
    NCM_8456.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 2

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Do I need to remove the original paint to apply bottom paint

Is the Holiday going to be moored in salt water. Will it be trailered and out of the water every day? If she's only in fresh water or not moored in salt, bottom paint isn't needed. If you use her in salt, wash her off well, that's all that's needed.

rommel

Recruit

Sorry, forgot to add that piece of info. She will be docked at a salt water marina now til september. I know that I have to bottom paint, I was just trying to figure out how to.

cpdchap

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think the reason you see a lot of us stripping it to bare is we are not just repainting we are completely restoring........that being said, remember that when you repaint no matter how great the paint you use, it is only as good as what you are attaching it to, in other words if the original paint is still in great shape , no blisters, or flaking then you are probably fine to scuff and repaint. But if the original paint is failing then no matter what you cover it with it will fail. That's why a lot of guys don't want to take the chance with trusting something they are not completely sure of hence the starting from scratch and stripping it completely. In the pictures the original paint looks great! Most of us were not that lucky.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I was thinking the paint looks great if she is moored. Actually just plain great for any type of use.

You might start a thread in the general forums. Not too many of us SC guys boat or moor in salt water and I don't want to lead you down the wrong path. Aluminum boats need special care in the briny.

dozerII

Admiral

Welcome to the Starmada, post up some pics of the whole boat. By the looks of that paint a good polish with Girodat's One Step would be all it needs. Barato2 may come along, he is up to date on what needs to be done to moor an aluminum boat in the salt. You will have to add some anodes and some special bonding to stop electrolysis from eating your boat up.