Islander cuddy cabin leak

1216bandit

Petty Officer 1st Class
A friend has a 1991 19' islander with a leaky cuddy cabin. He went on board the other day and the ceiling was hanging down so that has to be replaced. The leak is severe enough that the bulk head just forward of the helm is showing some rot. We are thinking the caulking has let go some place, and are wondering what to use to remove the old caulking, also what do you suggest to use to re-caulk? The 3m sealers would seem to be a good choice but how the heck do you smooth it out as it sticks to everything? Popsicle stick dipped in some kind of thinners?

Thanx for any suggestions.....Dan

cj8mule

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Islander cuddy cabin leak

Hey Dan. There's so many places that cuddy could leak. After the ceiling gets ripped out, have em crawl inside while you hose the cuddy down. The 3m sealers do work well and are messy, but laquer thinner will cut it. Good luck!

airshot

Rear Admiral

I am curious as I have a 22' Islander and I do not see anywhere they would leak other than the gasket around the front windows. My seams appear to be some type of rubber gasket rather than caulk. Yep I agree with the other poster...get inside and hose it down.

elkhunter338

Master Chief Petty Officer

it's not the best looking stuff in the world but vulkum caulking sticks and seals very well. It takes days to cure but it's good sealer. If you want a nice looking bead you are about stuck with silicone house caulking, get some sun resistant good stuff, I just bought some GE 3hr cure sun resistant stuff to seal my camper seams and around the window. I used the vulkum caulk on the roof seams.