Adding a cuddy cabin to 16' open Starcraft?

Dimsdale

Cadet
I really like the star chief type cuddy cabin but finding one in good shape is proving tough. Also 18-20+ feet is bigger than I really need and requires a bigger motor than I want to fuel. There are lots of 16' open boats, with 40-50 horse outboards available. I'm only one guy and don't need a bigger boat. I like to fish and camp and just want a small (economical) cuddy cabin boat that I can sleep in, use a portapotty, and heat up a can of beans.

I'm thinking protected waters, wisconsin lakes and rivers, not Lake Superior. Putting along, I won't be in any hurry to get anyplace.

So my idea is to buy a 16 foot Starcraft, or one of their clones, and build my own cabin. It would almost be like putting a pickup topper on the boat. I'm thinking light. Maybe fiberglass over foam. Move the console back far enough to fit a sleeping bag in the cabin. Cooking/coffee counter, portapotty. Bimini over the cockpit. Pretty much building a smaller star chief cabin.

So does this sound feasible? Or should I just find a star chief and start rebuilding? Or shop around for a glassic cuddy that would also need rebuilding? Has anyone already done this and can direct me to a build thread.

barato2

Commander
Re: Adding a cuddy cabin to 16' open Starcraft?

me, i'd try to find a Starchief.....if you're camping aboard, you'll be glad for the extra room. OTOH, this guy Travels with Miss Cindy. Adventures with a 16' Microcat cruiser.
traveled all down the west coast of Central America in a 16' cat

if you do build a cabin, make it from aluminum. otherwise boat will be a mite top heavy. you might even be able to start with an old camper shell...??

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Or should I just find a star chief and start rebuilding?

Yup ^^^^^!

Yah, save yourself the giant headache and grab an 18' Star Chief/Chieftain/Islander. I think you'll see it'll be perfect (not too big) for what you are after. And, being in WI area, just be patient, one should pop up soon for ya now that the ice age is coming to a close.

Welcome to iboats!:joyous:

Dimsdale

Cadet

The more threads I read, the more I want a starchief. I'm just not sure I want to do the rebuild. It would be a fun project but I'd spend the summer building instead of boating. Now I need two boats, one to work on and one to use in the meantime.

I do have a tent on my little alumacraft but that's really cramped and damp. I'm thinking 16 foot would get cramped pretty quickly too. But I'm cheap.

How much does it cost to run the starchief or islander for a day? Will it be suitable for Lake Superior? Can I pull it with a tacoma?

There's one on craigslist, outboard model, poor condition. $2000. I doubt the 40hp 70's motor runs. That price seems a bit high or is that what I should expect to pay for a project?

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member

$2k is way overpriced, by nearly $1500, IMO. $500+/- non running, underpowered vintage 40hp, probably needs a full gut, on a trailer that may or may not safely tow it home. Pix, get some pix from the seller, and then post 'em.. Jas Islander is a bigger boat, but he dragged it home for less. Needed driveline, full interior gut & a better trailer, so similar to what the Starchief you described.

W/out pix maybe it's 'worth' even less, ultimately it's more about what a buyer will pay, no matter what a seller 'wants'.............

Dimsdale

Cadet

$2k is way overpriced, by nearly $1500, IMO. $500+/- non running, underpowered vintage 40hp, probably needs a full gut, on a trailer that may or may not safely tow it home. Pix, get some pix from the seller, and then post 'em.. Jas Islander is a bigger boat, but he dragged it home for less. Needed driveline, full interior gut & a better trailer, so similar to what the Starchief you described.

W/out pix maybe it's 'worth' even less, ultimately it's more about what a buyer will pay, no matter what a seller 'wants'.............

Thanks. That was my opinion too. Bad motor, bad trailer, broken windshields, full rebuild. Not as good as jas' islander that he paid $500 for. I wasn't sure if he just got a great deal and I should expect to pay more. Here's the link...

1967 STARCRAFT BOAT

jbcurt00

Staff member

00j0j_1HAxLHhvZqu_600x450.jpg

This boat ^^^
even on a better trailer:
00606_bgdCMqVQrjl_600x450.jpg

1967 STARCRAFT BOAT $1975 BRAINERD

Project boat, Collectors boat, Classic boat, Cuddy cabin

1967 Starcraft 18' Starchief, both windshilds are cracked on the starboard side, entire boat needs a good cleaning and some fixing, hull is sound with no major dents, cracks or leak and the transom still looks good. A battery is not included.

Crestliner 18' bunk style boat trailer, CBW3000, single axle, tongue jack, 14" wheels and tires, Atwood hydraulic brakes needs master and slave cylinders rebuilt, lighting wires need to be replaced, and the wheel bearings checked and greased, also the bunks need new carpeting.

1970 Evinrude Lark 40 HP electric shift, with 2 fuel tanks, The motor turns over but I haven't tried to get it running, a factory service manual is included.

Titles and licenses all up to date
He's flat out of his mind. $1975..... :facepalm:

W/out inspecting the trailer, and boat, I'm not sure that offering $500 isn't still too high.....

But if you like the Starchief, go take a look for yourself. Just be prepared for a bad reaction when you offer $300 & refuse to go higher then $400+/-.

It's a lot of work, but it can be done, done well, inexpensively over time, and end up w/ a GREAT boat. Time & effort versus spending more up front. Know that a $2K boat will often need lots of work too. Even $5K+ boats do sometimes.

You can not read too many tin boat threads or look at too many used boats before you decide to buy 1 (or 3+)

Dimsdale

Cadet

Here's what I had in mind. Build this cabin on top of a starcraft hull. Maybe use aluminum instead of plywood. Would it sink?

e2edcba2d1fb533c10b8985bcbc08630.jpg

190ef885aa8896f9d80661d3809ce67b.jpg

jbcurt00

Staff member

Where are you, roughly?

I suspect you could build something like that wood version you posted, SeaStomper did on a fiberglass ft boat. Search for his Orion build in the resto threads, or search his user name. But I'm not sure I'd be as adventurous as he is taking it 12+mi offshore.

I still think you'd be WAY ahead to find an 18ft Starchief, Chieftian (they made that in an 18ft, right?)

Or maybe an 18ft Holiday, less ideal, but you might add a hardtop only and get canvas/vinyl side curtains, or add a bimini top & side curtains which you can fold up & down for camping.

Last edited:

Dimsdale

Cadet

Where are you, roughly?

I suspect you could build something like that wood version you posted, SeaStomper did on a fiberglass ft boat. Search for his Orion build in the resto threads, or search his user name. But I'm not sure I'd be as adventurous as he is taking it 12+mi offshore.

I still think you'd be WAY ahead to find an 18ft Starchief, Chieftian (they made that in an 18ft, right?)

Or maybe an 18ft Holiday, less ideal, but you might add a hardtop only and get canvas/vinyl side curtains, or add a bimini top & side curtains which you can fold up & down for camping.

That boat is awesome!

I'd just be putting around in wisconsin lakes. The Chippewa flowage, mississippi, maybe apostle islands. I won't be taking a 16' boat on the ocean or open Lake Superior. On nice days. If it's storming I'll be holed up in a bay reading in my cabin. My kids are grown, wife don't like boating, I'm mostly retired and like to spend time on the water. I could even work with a laptop and charger.

I considered building a small wooden boat but putting a cabin on an existing hull sounds a lot less work. And starcraft has hulls that are similar to those homebuilt designs. I considered a fiberglass tri hull, but damn those are ugly. And would require some cutting. I don't like the idea of cutting into the deck of a fiberglass boat. All those built in benches and consoles look too structural. A starcraft looks like I can build what I want on top only moving the console.

I've been using a 14' alumacraft with a tent, but that is not rainproof enough to sleep on board and on shore camping isn't always available. So I prefer a hard cover on the water.

An 18' starchief would be great if I can find one. there's a lot more 16' boats available for cheap though. And I can probably use a 40 horse instead of 80 horse engine. Did I mention "cheap?" I'll be watching for an 18 foot starcraft if I can get something affordable and usable. If I can still use it while rebuilding I'd be pleased.

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member

Did I hear 'cheap'?

Well here ya go:
Boat For Sale

It is a big project, but if it's the boat you're looking for.....

Trailer & all parts & pieces of the aluminum hull seem to be in fairly decent shape. A repower is needed, as I don't think I'd spend much timeor money trying to resurrect the Chrysler OB.

The helm console & steering isn't present, but can be made fairly easily, and the remote for the OB would have to be changed to fit a replacement motor.

Nice guy, I've talked to him, helped him repost the pix in his new ad. Original ad was posted in Sept/Oct w/ little interest.
For the right buyer, he might accept an even lower offer.

I'd be interested, as this is the largest rig I could currently tow, but my boat yard is full & closed to new traffic......

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

grrr...if the timing was right, i'd be on the road. That's a deal...and he already did 1/2 the sanding :D

00V0V_2C7eCiFwWcv_600x450.jpg

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Yup, there's yur cabin boat right there, super deal too!

SigSaurP229

Commander

Owning a 16' and an 18'SS There is no way I'd try to build a cabin on the 16'

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

Hi Dimsdale. I once had a 16'-9" Winner Eliminator closed bow runabout. It had a full enclosure with camper stern curtain. It was adequate for my wife and I to do a lot exploring. It was great when we were young, but now at retirement age, it would not be doable for us. I think duck-walking under a hardtop on a 16' boat will disappoint you. You could try it with full canvas cover that's removable, but either design on a 16' boat will stress a "mostly retired" person after a few days of rain. Go big enough for comfort or stay home. - Grandad

barato2

Commander

dimsdale---

honestly, i think you'd spend way more time designing and building cabin from scratch on boat not originally designed for one than you would restoring a Starchief. if i were just restoring my Holiday to stock instead of trying to convert to a center console (far simpler conversion than making a cabin boat from open skiff, IMHO), it would have been splashed last year. you're right in the middle of the Old Starcraft Graveyard so there should be choices out there. the 18 won't use significantly more fuel than a comparable 16 with comparable powertrain (ie, I/O vs OB). with the 120/140hp Murkcruiser, they're seriously frugal with fuel. and yes, my 4 cyl Taco tows my I/O Starchief just fine, even up and down the canyons in NM with some downshifting, so you'll be fine on the flatland.

Dimsdale

Cadet

Yeah, I'm convinced that the Starchief is the way to go. A 16 footer isn't more economical enough to give up the room and it already has everything I want. Now just have to wait on my tax return. :)