Marine Tex for aluminum corrosion

theoldwizard1

Petty Officer 1st Class
So I have been reading several threads on restoring old Starcraft boats and I must say, this crowd is AMAZING.

One thing that I wonder about is, the use of Marine Tex to filling in the "missing" aluminum lost to corrosion ? Anyone have any "long term" feedback on how well this works, both structurally and for preventing future leaks ?

Last edited:

barato2

Commander
Re: Marine Tex for aluminum corrosion

hard to give you a single answer, since it depends on where said missing aluminum is. me, i'd be leery of trying to use any glop or Goop to fill a spot where aluminum is missing, just as a general principle.

if no one here has any input, you might try re-posting the Q in a non-brand-specific subforum so it reaches more people?

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant

Pictures would help. I've used Marine Tex to repair pin holes on my aluminum transom - worked great - holding strong going into third year.

theoldwizard1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here is one thread where the author used a fair amount of Marine Tex to fill in voids left by corrosion, all below the waterline

My First StarCraft; 1975 18' SuperSport Post #687

2014-01-18%2010.29.12_zpsxpn3hzky.jpg

Admittedly, structural areas are patched with aluminum and rivets.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

in non structural areas it is fine for sealing a small leak, other wise it is cosmetic....it adds zero structural support...it is either a slight sealer or a cosmetic filler....to make a paint job look good.....

bob

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

Here is one thread where the author used a fair amount of Marine Tex to fill in voids left by corrosion, all below the waterline

My First StarCraft; 1975 18' SuperSport Post #687

2014-01-18%2010.29.12_zpsxpn3hzky.jpg

Admittedly, structural areas are patched with aluminum and rivets.

If you read / understand my entire thread, I 1st surveyed all of the pitting to assess depth of the corrosion. Very deep pitting but not completely through the hull material (< 25% remaining material), i cleaned, filled with MT & capped with an internal patch.

for corrosion that wore completely through (bow & around my knee brace), I filled the corrosion with MT, used masking tape on the outside to prevent the MT from seeping out) and will be applying external patches.

Most of the my pitting is < 50% through the hull skin. In this is case, I'm adding MT to prevent corrosive material(s) from collecting there in the future.

Before applying MT, clean / neutralize the corrosion. I used West Systems 860...and a dremel for the really deep "white stuff" that couldn't be removed with Nyalox or SS wire-brush.