Anchor rode tie off point

theoldwizard1

Petty Officer 1st Class
There is a anchor nice storage locker in the bow of my Starcraft under the bow seating area. However, there is no convenient place to tie off the rode. I know that when anchoring, i should use the bow trailer eye or one of the cleats on the gunwale , but I would still like a secure place (under the seat ?) to tie off the end so I don't carelessly loose the anchor chain and rode overboard !

Ideas ?

Last edited:

barato2

Commander
Re: Anchor rode tie off point

stainless eyebolt? and, FYI, if you're anchoring, use the bow eye unless you've reinforced the attachment for the bow cleat....Starcraft in their Infinite Cheepness put it on with four #10 sheet metal screws:rolleyes:.....convert to machine screws and nuts, pref with some backer plate, if you're going to tie off there

fishrdan

Admiral

^^^ Eyebolt would work well.

I put a padeye inside my anchor locker, to attach the end of the anchor line,,, so it doesn't go swimming with the fishes. It's not strong enough to hold the boat, but good enough to keep the line from falling into the water.

354-081276_0.jpg

theoldwizard1

Petty Officer 1st Class

... FYI, if you're anchoring, use the bow eye unless you've reinforced the attachment for the bow cleat....Starcraft in their Infinite Cheepness put it on with four #10 sheet metal screws:rolleyes:.....convert to machine screws and nuts, pref with some backer plate, if you're going to tie off there
Another task to add to the list !

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Interesting.
On both of my Mariners, the cleats are secured with machine screws and nuts.

And, how in the heck would you be able to reach the bow eye to secure an anchor?
Especially with a bow rail?

barato2

Commander

i think you do the Tarantula Crawl...??:eek:

Roscoe, they may well have fixed the issue. but both my mid-60s 18' hulls just had #10 screws. given safety implications, not to mention the cost of anchors, worth unscrewing then just far enough to see which you have, methinks.

theoldwizard1

Petty Officer 1st Class

And, how in the heck would you be able to reach the bow eye to secure an anchor?
Especially with a bow rail?

The boat has an open bow, but it is still a pain to try and reach around and under the bow and hook to the eye. Forget trying to uses a proper screw pin shackle.