1993 Starcraft Starcaster 16 ds

monkey box

Seaman Apprentice
[/URL [URL=http://s1278.photobucket.com/user/monkeybox1010/media/SU1BRzAzNjYuanBn_zps11a77f11.jpg.hG]http://i1278.photobucket.com/albumsymonkeybox1010SU1BRzAzNjYuIMG][/URL [URL=http://s1278.photober/monkSU1BRzAzODAuanBn_zps31841dcf.jpg.html]
Well here is my 1993 starcraft starcaster 16 ds. I am redoing all the wood and going to tuff coat non skid the entire boat. It comes with a 2 part epoxy primer. I am considering using epoxy, us composites, and cloth to seal my plywood before I prime. What oz cloth should I use on the top? It will be covered with non skid, but I do a lot of camping out of this boat and I want to ensure it is soliwhen loading and unloading generators and camping supplies. I have had it for about six months. I first removed the console because I have a tiller and I loved the added room. I have also built a small temporary deck in back to sit and fish from. More pics and questions to come

monkey box

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1993 Starcraft Starcaster 16 ds

Sorry about the formatting. Its hard from a cell phone and iboats is blocked on my work computer.

barato2

Commander

no apologies needed.....the guy who posts pix before he gives us one word of text is A-OK here. welcome to the horde! we don't see many jon boats here, but that looks like a killer Lake O rig.

for my tiller-steer boat, i got one of the u-jointed and telescoping tiller extensions, which pretty much gets rid of "tiller shoulder" and lets me sit further forward in boat....highly recommended mod for any tiller boat.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Hey monkey, nice rig you scored there! Yah, like Bruce mentioned, you have a unique rig to these parts. Pretty cool!:D

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

welcome to the tin brotherhood monkey! :welcome:

can't wait to see it's guts!! :madgrin:

jbcurt00

Staff member

Welcome to the party.......... Tin-sanity is the theme :eek:

monkey box

Seaman Apprentice

Well FLW is slaying them in my back yard so ill give them a break for a couple weeks and start on demo. A 34.15 lb bag on day one and another 30 or so expected today. Big fish yesterday at 10.6. Typical Lake O. Temps in the mid 80's all week and they are expected to continue. Epoxy and cloth arrived today, and picked up plywood last week. The the guts will be revield this weekend.

monkey box

Seaman Apprentice

Foam looks good and dry. Working on cleaning the metal now.

jbcurt00

Staff member

That foam is very often extremely deceiving, hiding quite a bit of water & funk down at the hull. And unfortunately, 1 side may be dry & the other very wet, or the front cavities dry, the rear wet.

Tough call w/out pulling it or at least cutting some teeth in the end of a 1.5" pvc pipe & drilling it down thru the foam to the hull, in several places in each cavity

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

She looks like a sturdy boat, MB. For sure do a foam core sample. The wood was too far gone not to have let water seep into the foam.

She is gonna be a good fishing boat for you.

barato2

Commander

i'm blown away at the bracing in that thing. agree with the others, you're prolly going to want to replace the foam. % of people who have been able to go with their original under-deck foam has been pretty small.

monkey box

Seaman Apprentice

Good ideas on the core samples. Most of it was rock hard. The left rear section has some wet spots that will be taken out. I have 3/4 plywood and i thought it would be enough to do both bow sections but i am about 4 inches short. Now i am thinking of going to 1/2 on the top bow to save weight and continue with 3/4 on the sub deck. It will be epoxied and glassed with 1 layer of 6oz. cloth, so i think it should be plenty strong enough with what i have. any other suggestions?

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

Impressive Structure! :madgrin:
IMAG0859_zps6a6b7f24.jpg

barato2

Commander

given how much support it has and how short any unsupported streches will be, you'll be fine with 1/2' on the bow deck, even if you didn't glass it. on flotation, you might be able to get away with less than some of us, given that you can stand on the bottom in much of Lk O...:D

monkey box

Seaman Apprentice

[/URL [URL=http://s1278.photobucket.com/user/monkeybox1010/media/Mobile%20Uploads/VIDEO0154_0000066963_zpsc39f4eb8.jpg.html]

Here's a few action shots before the tear down. I worked on the boat all weekend. Mainly getting wood cut and cleaning metal. I did get two coats of epoxy on the bigger deck piece. I learned to check the weather when using epoxy. I had one sides second coat take two days to cure. 100% hummidity on Sunday.I also got the rod box,livewell, and storage lids cleaned,scuffed, washed with vinegar, and some zc primer from Napa. Now to metal use the primer from tuff coat. And a first layer of non skid.

barato2

Commander

baeutiful, esp that 2d foto! makes me miss FL. can you say "tannic acid"?

and you not only have a painter's helper for the boat, you have a project to bond with the kid on and feed him with healthy passions to help him resist some o them less healthy passions he'll run across later...tin boat resto costs less than crack cocaine, altho not always by much....put that little sucker to work, shoot lots of pics and post em, then show him the posts.....he'll end up with as much pride in the boat as you do, esp when you take some of his buddies fishing so he can brag....