Help with cockpit cover frame on '87 18' SS

olympic

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi. I purchased a 1987 18' Starcraft SS a couple of weeks ago. I'll get some pics up soon for all to see.

This boat only came with a cockpit style canvas (although with the zippers on the back of it I think it used to have even more canvas). Anyhow, this is the low profile canvas that snaps to the windshield and it only about 4' long, if even that. The tag on the canvas shows "Taylor Made" so at least I know the company that did it originally.

The issue here is that I don't have the full frame even for just this cockpit cover. The last owner didn't use it, and all he had was the cockpit canvas to include the main aluminum bar across the top, but only one of the side curved pieces. (see attached pics...not great ones but maybe they help illustrate what I have and what is missing).

I'm curious if it's possible to get that curved piece for the other side. If so, ideas for where I can source that? Thought I'd try contacting Taylor, however wasn't sure if there is a place where I can source this myself.

On the side support bar on the one side I have, there is a plastic piece around it that slides up and down the pole that has an eyelet or something attached to it that is broken off. What is supposed to connect to that? If my question isn't clear let me know and I can try to shoot a better pic (pics below).

I like the idea of having some small amount of protection from the elements and sun as needed. Another option would be to go with one of the bimini covers such as the ones I see at safe guard covers dot com. I plan to fish out of this boat so not sure about the bimini. I already have this cockpit canvas so figured if I clean it up and get the missing parts inexpensively maybe I can make that work for now.

Does anyone have a pic of a 1987 or similar year with cockpit canvas on so I can see what it looks like?

Here's a pic of the underside of the canvas showing curved pole only on the right (yes it needs a good cleaning). photo.jpg

Here's a pic of the one side pole I have and notice the plastic piece (not the end mount but the other) and whatever is attached to it where the screw goes through it is broken off. What is this broken piece supposed to connect to? photo(1).jpg

Here's another pic of the side with the curved pole. photo(2).jpg

Pic of the side missing a pole. photo(3).jpg

And a pic of the top side of the canvas. photo(4).jpg

Thanks!

dozerII

Admiral
Re: Help with cockpit cover frame on '87 18' SS

Hey Olympic welcome to the madness, better post those quick to keep the mob at bay!! Best place to check would be a local upholstery or canvas shop chances of finding the pieces anywhere else are pretty slim. I have a complete top off of the Naked Lady which is an 87 16 SS but it would cost a fortune to shop to you.

olympic

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey Olympic welcome to the madness, better post those quick to keep the mob at bay!! Best place to check would be a local upholstery or canvas shop chances of finding the pieces anywhere else are pretty slim. I have a complete top off of the Naked Lady which is an 87 16 SS but it would cost a fortune to shop to you.
Thanks for the reply. Will try to get some pics today to keep the mob at bay.

Too bad you are not closer as your canvas and frame would probably work. On your cockpit cover, is there just the one side support bar with a corresponding strap that pulls it back and clips to an eyelet on the gunwale?

What does that plastic/nylon piece that slides up and down the bar connect to? Is that used in conjunction with a back portion of the canvas I don't have such as a camper extension or full canvas (which I don't have) or is it supposed to connect to something that is integral to the cockpit cover?

I have two straps in the middle part of the canvas, are those also designed to be used with a back canvas piece?

Do you have any pics of your cockpit cover in place? thanks

jbcurt00

Staff member

I'm not sure, but that kind of looks like the back half of a full convertible canvas set, not the front. Often it's not used, so it's usually in much better shape then the front.

The last runabout I was on had a very similar looking piece of canvas for the back half, which also doesn't have a full set of poles, since it's only the back half.

Convertible canvas:
BiminiTops4Pic1.jpg

and attaches to the windshield.

Rather then a bimini, which doesn't attach to the windshield:
SafeGuard-Bimini-Dana-Point.jpg

The straps could be the straps that tie either style top down to the gunwale, or could be to attach this top to the other sections of the top. Some tops have a strap sewn in as a stiffener fore & aft along the canvas top, like ribbing or a 'stop/keeper' for fold out stiffener rib poles, like in this bimini:
bim1.jpg
The 1 black strap in the center of the back.
:

SigSaurP229

Commander

I'm with Glenn (Dozer II) on this one the best place to go will be a local upholstery shop.

olympic

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'll check with a local upholstery/canvas shop then. What I have is the front. I put it on to be sure and took a pic of how it looks. It's not very tall. I also have a pic showing the broken piece which looks like it would support perhaps another support pole but I don't see with the canvas where another pole would go so am not sure what was connected. Any ideas? Thanks
cockpit-canvas.JPGbroken-piece.jpg

dozerII

Admiral

It looks to me like you have the main hoop that pins to the brackets on top of the gunwales. The piece that is sliding should be the lower anchor for the front hoop. I don't have any real good pictures of the framing on the 14 Holiday, but in this one you can see the forward hoop coming off the main hoop through the port window.

The two straps you have in the top are to set the tension and angle for the forward hoop to keep the fabric tight.
It is -32 here today and I have to work but over the next couple days I will pull the cover off the Holiday and take a couple pixs of the frame for you, as I stored her with the top up.

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

The nylon fitting seems to be for a center support. Just another piece of bent tubing. The fitting itself is available from any marine store, maybe west marine, probably even right here on iboats though I didn't look. The rest of the broken part was on that tubing. If you have a shop around that does marine canvas they can easily bend some tubing for you. That and a couple of fittings is all you really need. I have purchased tubing and bent it myself, though it took a few tries and I do have an old electrical conduit bender.

olympic

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Dozer and George. Dozer the pic really helped. I understand that I'm missing a center support bar as well that connects to the broken piece off the back support.

I understand that this center bar goes through the hoop ends of the two straps I have hanging off the back bar.

Dozer - if it's that cold outside don't go through the effort to unwrap your boat. I think I am understanding what is needed.

I'll check around and see which shoos do this and what they would charge. Will need to weigh that cost versus a new universal 6ft Bimini.

dozerII

Admiral

Thanks Dozer and George. Dozer the pic really helped. I understand that I'm missing a center support bar as well that connects to the broken piece off the back support.

I understand that this center bar goes through the hoop ends of the two straps I have hanging off the back bar.

Dozer - if it's that cold outside don't go through the effort to unwrap your boat. I think I am understanding what is needed.

I'll check around and see which shoos do this and what they would charge. Will need to weigh that cost versus a new universal 6ft Bimini.

If your going to go Bimini go 8' you won't regret it.

olympic

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If your going to go Bimini go 8' you won't regret it.
How far forward of the front windshield is normal for the start of the bimini top? My only concern with 8' is with fishing. Even 6' looks like it could interfere a bit.

Regarding the cockpit cover, called a local shop and they said for ~$50 they could bend a middle support pole. I'd also have $10-$20 in fittings. The challenge they said was how long (tall) to make it. They said they could error on the side of being a little long and then I can cut it down to fit if needed. Trying to decide between resurrecting this 25 yr old canvas top or just go bimini.

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

I'd like the top that attaches to the windshield. Get the parts you need now and down the road someday you can always replace the old canvas. You'll already have the other parts. Get it to long, its easy to cut down and there is some adjustment with the mounting, it will slide up and down a bit. In bad weather attaching to the WS is really nice.

olympic

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Given I need the middle support bow and attaching hardware, I just got to thinking that maybe I could purchase one of the inexpensive bimini's I see advertised on the bay for less than $100. Maybe I could use the bow(s) out of that. I assume I could cut them down if needed. Not sure if the hardware they use is removable from the bow ends so I could cut them down to the correct height and then re-use the end hardware or not. Was just thinking it would be a cheap way to get some bows and hardware. At the same time if I save it all I could lengthen the supports later if I wanted with a frame repair kit and use the bimini. Thoughts? I really just need the middle support bow and attaching hardware pieces, but it sounds like I'll be approaching the cost of an inexpensive full bimini kit.

barato2

Commander

In bad weather attaching to the WS is really nice. George has it right there....biminis work great for sun protection, but for rain, not so good. given where you live, i'd definitely go with the windshield mount top. on economics, have you thought about posting a "wanted" ad on your local CL? once the fabric is toast, many people don't think the frame is worth much. do you have any friends with a hickey? pretty easy to bend AL tube. and you should be able to get away with the glass filled nylon fittings rather than having to go with SS, given that you see little UV up there.

mrsocks

Recruit

That is the "front" convertible top with the zippers for the "walk thru". Looks pretty rough to me though. Look first for a marine canvas shop and use an upholsterer as a last resort. I happen to be both; so feel qualified to say that (no offense to fellow trimmers or brother warf rats). Go all new and use stainless if on salt water. It will be pricey but you will be happier in the long run.
Socks

olympic

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks again to everyone for the advice and feedback. Planning to try and make what I have work for at least this first season then can figure out if I want to have a different style top before spending big $ on one.

I am hoping someone can tell me the name of this fitting in the attached pics. I need one that fits into 3/4" OD aluminum tubing and haven't been able to locate it when looking for bimini top fittings. Thanks

fitting1.JPG fitting2.jpg

dozerII

Admiral

Thanks again to everyone for the advice and feedback. Planning to try and make what I have work for at least this first season then can figure out if I want to have a different style top before spending big $ on one.

I am hoping someone can tell me the name of this fitting in the attached pics. I need one that fits into 3/4" OD aluminum tubing and haven't been able to locate it when looking for bimini top fittings. Thanks

View attachment 221012 View attachment 221013

Available right here on Iboats. Convertible Top Inside Eye End 90? Black F/3/4" SeaDog Line 273350-1 - iboats