1972 Chieftain MKIV 25 footer ver 2

layzboy2011

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1972 Chieftain MKIV 25 footer ver 2

I have a mercury 150 four stroke on a similar bracket on my 22. I ended up just using a very strong "transom saver" I needed a long one to reach, but the setup with the saver seems extremely solid and I was never worried about the pod moving around.

Sc25175

Petty Officer 1st Class

In the pic it really doesn't look like there is any additional support?? I do think it would be a good idea to add some support while trailering so will add to the list of todo's. Need to get the hydraulic steering set up to see how far I can tilt up the motor.

barato2

Commander

oooh...we be droolin'. nice. easy to weld addtl length into a trans saver if needed, or make a Kustom one...

low277

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Steve, are you out there? I was following your build closely and have not seen any updates recently, I hope all is well.

layzboy2011

Petty Officer 3rd Class

In the pic it really doesn't look like there is any additional support?? I do think it would be a good idea to add some support while trailering so will add to the list of todo's. Need to get the hydraulic steering set up to see how far I can tilt up the motor.

It appears as though the pic that i posted does not have the transom saver on it... i use one every time i trailerand a standard length saver works because the trailer is a little to long for the boat. Sorry for the confusion. 2 years aad 150 hours on the setup and everything is holding up well no stress apparent on the transom or bracket.

Last edited:

Sc25175

Petty Officer 1st Class
I bought a defunct 126 acre campground, so the boat is on the back burner. I will try and pull it into the sunlight sometime during the summer and snap a few pics. The exterior is about 90% complete just need to work on the interior. Have to see how the campground comes along, we are about 3 weeks from re-opening after being closed for 12 years.

low277

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Glad to hear that all is well, sounds like you got yourself into a really large project!

Sc25175

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey guys,. Been some time since I have posted. The boat is still in the shop but I might get to work on her this winter. I was wondering if someone would comment on getting rid of all the old parts I took out of the rig. I have gas tanks, the I/O and motor and all the wiring and steering mechanis.. Not trying to sell it but don't really just want to bring it to the junk yard. Any ideas?

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
recent post mentioned a starcraft boat owner group on facebook that might help. and ofcourse there is always craigslist and ebay.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
The motor and drive would be something someone would snap up quick I bet of the right guy see it locally on CL. Unless replaced exactly the steering is a problem due to specific length of the cable and then there's the age of it.