1972 Chieftain MKIV 25 footer ver 2

Sc25175

Petty Officer 1st Class
I moved my original thread to the rebuild site thinking it would be a better source of info but I was wrong. For some reason I can't get moved back so I am starting a new version 2 thread. I am rebuilding from the ground up a 1972 25 foot Chieftain. I am also converting it from an I/O to 175HP Evinrude ETEC outboard on a offshore bracket.

I will show some progress and then ask my question:
014.jpg015.jpg

I have all the base deck back in place, the two 25 gallon below deck gas tanks are installed.
Now I am going to work on painting the rest of the enterior. I have taken all the glass out and there are tracks that the side windows fit in to. My question is does anyone know where I can get track like the pictures posted below. The old track is in really rough shape and I really need to figure out a solution.

003.jpg

elkhunter338

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1972 Chieftain MKIV 25 footer ver 2

You are building my dream boat, almost. I am looking for a 25 footer to rebuild. I would vote twin 90's e-tec's, I would be going 30-40 miles off shore tuna fishing personally like the idea of twin outboards.
Keep us posted on your progress.

Sc25175

Petty Officer 1st Class

Twin 90's would be nice, not sure this hull and transom could support the weight.

Sc25175

Petty Officer 1st Class

More progress. I am stripping the topsides down to bare metal since the paint is in such rough shape.
011.jpg010.jpg005.jpg

When I painted the bottom, I etched the bare metal with acid and then primed it. Works really well but is very toxic and smelly. For the top sided I'm thinking of using self etching primer. Has anybody had experience good or bad with self etching aluminum primer?

barato2

Commander

that first pic looks kinda spooky.....

most people use self-etching primer rather than a separate etchant. you need to use it anyway even if you etch separately if it's been more than a day or so since you did the etching/sanding, since it doesn't take long for a film of alum oxide to build up. freshly sanded surfaces gives you the same thing mechanically as etching does chemically...clean alum to adhere to.

since this is a big expanse and will be really visible, i'd go ahead and use the "real" zinc chromate based self etching primer (available from Aircraft Spruce as well as other places, but it's big buxx to ship due to toxicity so find it locally if you can), rather than the rattle can stuff DupliColor sells at otto partz stores. you only need to dust it on lightly; substrate should be clearly visible through it.

Sc25175

Petty Officer 1st Class

Posting more progress.
I have installed the hatches for the two storage areas. I had a company form some z channel then I screwed and expoxied in place. Will locking latches.

I have also finished stripping the top sides will be installing the cabin bulkheads tomorrow.

IMG_0159.jpgphoto 1.JPGphoto 2.JPGphoto 3.JPGphoto 4.JPG

jbcurt00

Staff member

I had a company form some z channel then I screwed and expoxied in place. Will locking latches.

Post up some more info & pix of those channels.

Looking good!

Does Will know you stole his latches? :watermelon:

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

Start with a 50/50 vinegar water wash. Then your self etching primer goes on followed by primer, then finally paint.

There are several choices for primer. Zinc Chromate is the best and also the most toxic, use safety equipment. I don't know if you can buy it in gallons or not. I usually get the spray cans for 12-14 foot boats.

Did you put the outboard platform on? What's the story behind it?

Don

Sc25175

Petty Officer 1st Class

The swim platform/motor mount is commercial from an outfit in Fl. I have a 175hp Evinrude ETEC that will be the power plant. I have stripped the boat down to bare metal and am performing a total rebuild. Will be installing hydraulic steering.

I have done some mods to the layout, moved the steps into the cabin which gives me more space in the cockpit. Next milestone is to finish exterior paint, then I can load it back on the trailer and finish the interior.

My goal is to splash this coming spring.

cj8mule

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Awesome job Steve. Keep the pictures coming!

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

Nice monster Chief you got there Steve!

So your question on painting, bare hull and bad paint pics a few days apart from painted hull pics. Not sure if your question about SE primer from those who have used it is still needing answered. Anyway I used rusto SE with great results.

Sc25175

Petty Officer 1st Class

That's what I ended up buying. Will perform final sand, apply vinegar and then the SE followed by a couple more coats of regular primer.

Thanks for the input.

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

Hi Steve, if I had enough good healthy years left, I'd love to take on a 25 foot rebuild. Nice progress. What type of plywood are you using? I can't seem to identify a grain structure in the pictures. It looks like MDF, but that would be my last choice for a marine environment. - Grandad

barato2

Commander

your work looks great! all the big water anglers here will be droolin at your boat when done.

Sc25175

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the compliments, trying to do a good job as I plan on this being my last boat.

The plywood is called HDO(high density overlay), basically the stuff they use for concrete forms. It is a bit spendy but I'll be long gone before the deck goes bad.

I am considering what to cover the cockpit deck with. Have found a product called Eco-Tuff - Rubberized Non-Skid Coating. It is a paint with rubberized granules for skid resistance. I bought a sample an applied it to a scrap of HDO plywood. It looks good and has sort of a soft skid resistant finish. My concern is durability. Is anybody familiar with this product?

cj8mule

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I've not used that stuff Steve, so maybe someone else will pipe in.

I have used the sand in Rustoleum method and it held up well. It was very hard to keep clean though and I believe that I will use the Nautolex this time.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Never heard of the Eco-Tuff, but I'm very interested to see how Jas likes is Rusto Restore deck when he's done remodeling (again) his Islander.

How much more weight & $ then MDO (medium density overlay) was the HDO? Single faced or double faced? I LOVE working w/ MDO, except for the added weight I suspect I'd like working w/ it too.

barato2

Commander

Steve--

likewise no experience with that specific product but i have used the similar stuff called TuffCoat and the similar-but-more-hardcore (not latex, xylene thinned, better foot traction but more $) stuff called DuraBak. the tuffcoat seems to be holding up OK in my Lone Star under the SW TX sun. one note on both is that they aren't all that soft on knees....you could skin a knee, elbow or palm on the stuff real easy if you fell. i think Nautolex or similar would be friendlier to knees. suspect you'd probably want to keep any of the above covered in the off season, tho.