1974 starcraft 16 ft super sport

anderso8623

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi guys, I will he finishing this project then selling it. I hope to splash it soon. I love tin but I have found that the mako handles much better in lake st clair. I have the motor running pretty good and will be mounting it soon. I will splash it and continue to update you on progress.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
The guys in the Mako forum are not as handsom and have itchy rashes... :rolleyes:

anderso8623

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well, I may be resurrecting this thread and keeping this one. The Mako is a great boat but realistically only holds 2 people. The motor runs and will help out in the early season. I'll keep you all posted.

dozerII

Admiral
Welcome back Andy, we all knew you loved that SS too much to give up on her.;)

anderso8623

Petty Officer 1st Class
I don't know who Andy is but I (Jason) am glad to be back!

So I know this boat is rated at 90hp and I know you have shunned other that even consider going over; however, I have an awsome 1978 115 hp Evinrude that you may have seen in previous posts. I need to repower this for multiple reasons, one being the exhust leak you can see in a previous post. Here are my thoughts:

I have a fantastic 115 that is too powerful and makes the Mako more marketable.

I have a 40hp merc that came with the SS but I had to "rewire" it last year to get it running. I really just cut back the wires to "clean wire" and added new wire. It also has what looks to be an exhust leak.

I could realistically sell the Mako with the 115 on it for 2000 to move it and maybe 2500 if I sell it to the right person at the right time.

The 40 could catch me about 500 on a ok day and 700 if I caught a break!

A 75 plus are rare and cost aboUT 1500 for a 1980 and about 3500 for a 2000.

if I buy a "new" motor, I won't go less then a 75 but really do not want to spend the money.

If I sell the Mako I will be even to about 500 in the black because I sold the 50hp 2000 mer on it for 3000.

Her are my questions:

1-How will that 40hp push her?
2-Can the 115 be put on her?
3-does anyone know an approximate speed per hp on a 40, 75, 90? And or a recommended HP

I would ideally like to be at 30mph with 4 people onboard. Not that I need it but I have had multiple situations where my boat would maybe break 20mph with 2 people onboard.

Any recommendations are open and so are offers for motors that may be available...I know I may get flagged But if you don't ask, you get no response.

Last edited:

Watermann

Since you asked, I say the best motor for a 16'r is a 70 HP 3 cyl Johnny/Rude. It will run in mid 30's and do it on very little fuel compared to the V4 motors.

Tnstratofam

Commander
Our 16SS runs at about 34 at wot with 4 adults. We can cruise and fish at 25-30 on a 6 gallon tank of fuel about a day on our local lakes. We have two 6 gallon tanks on board, and we have yet to burn through more than a tank and a half. She is powered with the original 1982 Chrysler 75hp. The Chrysler is a three cylinder like the won waterman mentioned. Even though they"re not as popular or as easy to get parts for as a Johny or a Rude. I'm kind of an odd man out liking my Chrysler or "Dorm Fridge" as they are affectionately known.

Last edited:

64osby

Admiral
There is no weight difference between a 90 and a 115. Same motor just tuned differently.

A 40 would be pretty weak IMO.

If you don't want to spend money. Sell the 40, sell the Mako without the motor.

Maybe list the 115 for a trade on C/L. There might be someone out there looking for a few extra ponies.

If no trades run the 115, you don't have to run WOT. Maybe redo the cowl with a different set of decals.

If an accident did ever occur you might be SOL with the 115 by insurance standards and negligence in the eyes of the law.

anderso8623

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks for the input everyone. My original thought was to get a 75-85 on her. I ran that 115 on the Mako and could kill 12 gallons in just 2 hours if I ran her. Given, the Mako was significantly heavier than the the SS is, I still don't see it being the most efficient.

My biggest issue will be obtaining a 75-85. They almost do not exist!!! if they do, they are way over inflated. Oh well, ill keep looking. If anyone in the Michigan Ohio area spots one, let me know!

I can wait it out, that 40 I have is a clamp on. To splash her I can use that until i find the right one.

Laker99

Petty Officer 3rd Class
This is a guy in KC that likes to rebuild the OMC 3 cyls. I think he does it as a hobby and has one for sale every couple of months or so. I bet I have seen 6 of them on CL that he has done. Sounds good on the phone and his prices are very reasonable. I bought an 88 Evinrude 60HP elsewhere and wish I would have bought one from him because I have spent more than what he charges to get mine running correctly. He paints and decals them too. Unless you are really mechanical, I would always try to buy a motor you can hear run, has good compression, and shifts properly.

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/boa/4860543127.html

anderso8623

Petty Officer 1st Class
64 - thanks for the options. age and distance are factors. I do want to stay away from the hydro **** that are on the John/Ev's back in the early to late 70's. Not that I am picky but I have had two in the past, one was awesome but i did not have it long enough for something to happen. the other need repair after a seson and almost could not find parts. Swore I would never buy one again.

Lake - That is a nice motor and the price makes it worth thinking about. Same motors up her are about $ 2000 depends on what it would cost to drive there.

anderso8623

Petty Officer 1st Class
I think i wrote SH*T instead of shift in that last post. I meant to say Hydro-Shift

Watermann

Late 70's are good, it's early 70's that are the E-Shift.

anderso8623

Petty Officer 1st Class
correct me if I am wrong; there was an e shift and a hydro shift, I think in 78 they went back to fully mechanical shift. The E shift had the buttons on the controls for Forward, Neutral and Reverse. The Hydro shift incorporated the same mechanism in the Lower Unit but utilized the levers on the controls rather than the buttons.

At what point did they utilize an in-line 3 cyl vs. a V4 setup? (Year, HP etc.)

64osby

Admiral
I think that 72 was the last year for E shift. They had 3 years of hydro assist (pretty sure) then went to mechanical shift.