1974 starcraft 16 ft super sport

theoldwizard1

Petty Officer 1st Class
You are correct, just off of old 27 DNR launch. We stay at a place called poplars.

That's on North Shore Drive, correct ?

We stayed at one of the first 2 resorts on North Shore Drive. They were owned (in the 60s) by the Barr (Bahr ?) brothers. The first one had no sign until one year one pop up that said "Sun over Beach" (I was to young to get it). The other was called Fort Houghton for years. Last I heard Jim Barr owned the first one. We did a lot of water skiing behind his old aluminum boat with a rope start 35 hp Merc ! The second resort got split into condos or something.

anderso8623

Petty Officer 1st Class
The Bahr place is still there, this is about a quarter mile down from them. Tubing was done on the pontoon this time, what a pain! I almost fell in every time grabbing the tow line!

anderso8623

Petty Officer 1st Class
Old thread popping up! its been so long since I have opened this thread, most probably think I sold the old Starcraft and moved on. However, she is still in my garage...was in my garage until this week. I have tinkered here and there with the old 75hp Rude but she still can't take a load. She runs fine on the hose but as soon as she gets dunked, it's hard running. Fuel is what everyone keeps pointing to but I have yet to trace it back. I have gone through everything twice if not three times. I am not giving up on the boat but am on the motor. A new neighbor of mine sold me is old four stroke Yamaha 50 hp. I'm going to put her on and with a little luck, she will be swimming this week! I have not received the motor yet, going tonight to pull it off his boat. I am hoping by tomorrow night, we will be cruising the river.

Tnstratofam

Commander
Good luck on the motor swap, and good luck on the splash. Sorry to here the Rude is still giving you fits.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Cruising the river sounds better than cussing the old Rude. :lol:

So ahem don't forget to document the event for us. :photo:

Watermann

Yeap a good fit and right at home on your SS, looking forward to seeing how your new motor pushes her.

anderso8623

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks guys. The motor seems sound. Good compression and everything seeks to work. I have yet to try and actually start it as I only have tanks with oil in them. My brother says to sell the old cans and get brand new ones. He is concerned about the oil getting into the engine, as am I, but wouldn't a good cleaning work? After I empty them, how would I clean them?

Watermann

Concerned about oil being in a engine? Sure I wouldn't try to run 50:1 mix in it that's for sure. Just remove the pre-mix, shoot some fresh gas in the empty tank and swish it around, then dump it out. Do that a few times. a couple parts per million if even that of 2 cycle oil won't hurt anything. Don't forget to rinse out the fuel supply hose too if you didn't buy new.

Watermann

Hey that's great, I tried to watch the video but PB has some issues with videos and loading scores of ads, it was 5 minutes before I got tired of it and closed the page with the video never even starting. Youtube does a way better job of handling videos if you have an account.

Furrylittleotter

Petty Officer 2nd Class
A wise old sage once said: "Any old outboard will do...as long as it says "YAMAHA" on the cowl.".

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
I'd trade my old OMC 2 stroke for a 4 stroke Yamaha in a heartbeat. That should move your 16'er fine...not fast, but fine. Great score.

anderso8623

Petty Officer 1st Class
Swapped out the impeller and she seems to run good. The guy I bought it from said it may need a carb clean. I'm going to run it the way it is now to get a good read. May not need anything based on our trials. I will swap out the plugs and change the oil.

anderso8623

Petty Officer 1st Class
Watermann- nothing too exciting. Sorry it did not work. Working on YouTube now. It was a short 11second video of it starting on the second try. I'll be splashing it tomorrow. Better video will be uploaded on good old Lake Saint Clair!

anderso8623

Petty Officer 1st Class
She ran well for a motor that has been sitting for four years! Needs a tune up, fresh sparks and oil. Around 2000 rpm ( guessing at that as the tach was not working) it would start to bog down. It actually stalled on my twice at that same rpm range. But idle and anything past that bog down point, she ran perfect.