1974 starcraft 16 ft super sport

anderso8623

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well, she's running! However, she is a little hot. My tell is spitting out water but then the street slowed down... It's a brand new pump.

anderso8623

Petty Officer 1st Class
After a little more running, I think I was just nervous. She seems to do just fine. I will still replace the thermostat before I take her up to Houghton Lake in two weeks.

anderso8623

Petty Officer 1st Class
As I said earlier, got her running today! She is getting splashed tomorrow. Rand the fish finder, fuel line, fished the cleats.

Still need to seal and cap the transom, finish the bench seat, find some gas tanks (only have a 3 gallon), clean up and she is done! It's been three years in the making.

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
Looks great! Im just waiting to get a gas tank myself to get my splash done. Plus a few other odds and ends. Good luck on the SPLASH today!

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I couldn't see a pee stream coming out at all in that video.

anderso8623

Petty Officer 1st Class
There was a crack in the water line, I snipped the line about an inch and reconnected. Unfortunately the soon-to-be wife only took that video. The water was spraying into the (not sure what it is called) cowling.

anderso8623

Petty Officer 1st Class
The whole hose was riddled with cracks. West marine did not have the proper hose and was the only shop open so I had to do a little modification to it. It started off about three feet long now it's about 6inches and flows perfect.

anderso8623

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well, the splash was more of a drop of water in the ocean. Got her running in the water but she stalled and there was not enough juice in the battery to get her started agin. I think I need a new battery. I was using one from a few years back that I had been using on other boats. I am going to run her up to my local Evinrude dealer and have her "link and synced" just to make sure the carbs and cables are adjusted properly. She ran great on the muffs but I think she may need a touch up. $150 is worth the peace of mine.

anderso8623

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well scratch the local Evinrude dealer, booked till past the first of August. So...any links to Link and Sync tutorials? I would prefer a video but step-by-step works. I will also be posting this same question in the outboard repair section.

anderso8623

Petty Officer 1st Class
So I do believe the battery is shot. I got her running again today and she purrs like a kitten. The battery is getting replaced tomorrow and I will be installing a switch and run two. However, this now has me wondering if the stator may be failing. No sticky goop dripping just yet but I am showing two warning signs; 1) tach does not seem to want to work (used so it may be junk, gunna buy a new one anyway, will an automotive one work?). 2) the battery is not holding a charge more than a few starts. I had her running for a good 15 minutes and she still drained. I will say the battery does need replacing first.

Watermann

No on the auto tach I think you have to get a tach for a 2 stroke OB.

anderso8623

Petty Officer 1st Class
OK! I know this has been a boring revamp of a rebuild but most of the fun stuff was done in the beginning. I am happy to announce that all bugs should be worked out...but I probably just jinxed myself. In the last few days I have replace the rectifier, rebuilt the fuel pump and replaced the thermostat. The rectifier was shot because someone mislabeled the power cables at the battery. Fuel pump was leaking after I had removed the circular cap to check the screen so I figured just rebuild it. The Thermostat was probably OK but for $20 I figured "why not"?

Tonight, I work on the idle RPMs. What should I expect to see 1 - on muffs and 2 - in a garbage can.

I will be splashing up in Houghton Lake this weekend after a 3 hour drive...hope it works. I have been running her in a can and on muffs and she seems to be fully operational. I may try and drop her tonight but it may be too late. I have a few pictures to post of boring stuff like the old thermostat but my Photo Bucket is acting up.

dditionally, I have found that my main trim...strut(?)...is leaking. Not bad and nothing a spare bottle of fluid for topping off wont fix for the week up in HL. however, afterwards I would like to get her fixed. Any pointers? Does the motor have to come off? If so, not a big deal as I would like to get more 5200 around the bracket bolts.

anderso8623

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well, battery is still not charging. Hope a new one will. I got her idling at about 1100rpm in the bucket. Anything lower and she stalls out. She seems to shift in and out of gear fine but I don't have the prop on so we will see how that effects it. My biggest concern is the battery. I'll be picking up a new battery tomorrow.

Watermann

Do you have a multi meter to check voltage when the motor is running or is the battery just toast and not taking a charge from a charger?

You should be able to drop the idle down to around 650 with the idle screws on the carbs otherwise shifting into gear that high can get sketchy.

Last edited:

anderso8623

Petty Officer 1st Class
I do have a voltage meter, what should I set the meter to and what should it read? I did put a brand new Rectifier in as the other one was toast. I do belive the battery is toast, when I squeeze the battery, I can hear air escaping from one of the caps.

As for the RPM, I am going to replace the hoses for the fuel and any clamps/zip-ties and wrench each carb bolt to make sure I do not have any air leaks.

I did notice some fuel coming out of the carbs from the air intake. I am not sure if this is because my driveway is sloped. My bow is lower than the stern and the trim (not tilt) is all the way out for purposes of getting the can under the motor.

Only two days till Houghton Lake and I have a Birthday party for me Father-in-Law tonight, looks like I will be burning the midnight oil. to prep for Friday trials.