1974 starcraft 16 ft super sport

anderso8623

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi yall! gave up on the 79 chief! too big! here is the new project. it is a 1974 super sport 16ft. pictures in just a second. first question, how many pieces of ply will I need for the floor transom bow seats, ect.

thanks,

Jason

Yeonik

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1974 starcraft 16 ft super sport

I picked up 4 sheets of ply, was able to get the floor and bow structure out of 3 of em, plan on using the fourth for the under-gunwale boards near the rear and the front of the consoles. I've heard tell you can get a transom out of one sheet, so I suppose you'd need 5 sheets, all told.

anderso8623

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks! next investment is a garage heater.

anderso8623

Petty Officer 1st Class

So, I dont have bow rails. I have searched up and down for them. Any leads on some would be great.

Also, I will post better pics tomorrow. I work till dark and have not had a chance to get good pics.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Although it's not a very clear pix, the pix showing the bow doesn't look like it ever had bow rails.

You want them? Evil-bay or CL will probably be your best bet.

InMotion

Commander

Thanks! next investment is a garage heater.

Hey man... nice looking boat there! Is your garage insulated??? If not... highly recommend it.

Looking forward to seeing it rebuilt and back on the water!

Jim

anderso8623

Petty Officer 1st Class

Although it's not a very clear pix, the pix showing the bow doesn't look like it ever had bow rails.

It had the holes and there is a mount for an electric motor on the bow. My assumption is that someone took it off so the motor could go on.

Hey man... nice looking boat there! Is your garage insulated??? If not... highly recommend it.

Looking forward to seeing it rebuilt and back on the water

no it is not. I think I may get shot if I put that much money into the garage so I can rebuild yet another boat! Just for when I'm in the garage.

anderso8623

Petty Officer 1st Class

The good news! The motor turned over and started right up! I figured it would as the guy told me...we know how truthful CL people are...that it would! New pump and a good once-over is all it should need. Ill post good pics tomorrow.

I do need to find out the correct impeller kit. I am going to replace the whole housing so the whole kit is what I am looking for.

The model number on the motor is 3407902 and is a 40hp. not sure on the year. 2cyl.

Thanks in advance,

Jason

InMotion

Commander

It had the holes and there is a mount for an electric motor on the bow. My assumption is that someone took it off so the motor could go on.

no it is not. I think I may get shot if I put that much money into the garage so I can rebuild yet another boat! Just for when I'm in the garage.

Hey Jason.... think of it as an investment in your sanity.... or a place to go after the Admiral finds out that you insulated the garage! :) Before I insulated I had a 40000 btu heater and the garage barely got to 40F.... after I insulated and drywalled... I run a small electric heater on low and the temps are in the mid to high 60's... when I am working in there it can hit the mid 70's! Something to consider --- even if only for a moment! Either way, I hope you are able to keep plugging away at it!!!

Take care,

Jim

anderso8623

Petty Officer 1st Class

A few rough spots. but all-in-all a solid boat. starting with the motor today, gunna put a new pump in and get some fresh gas. I wanna make sure its running good before I fog it.

LC, I hope you do not mind, I am going to steal your paint scheme and polish the bottom and paint the top...hopefully. I tend to get discouraged if a project takes bad turns such as yours did with the pitting. I wont lie, I'm a "skip to the end and see the final results" type of guy. What did you use to seal the bottom after you polished it?

Thanks,

J

anderso8623

Petty Officer 1st Class

IMG_20131116_172611_094.jpgIMG_20131116_172453_224.jpg

Took the motor off and it just fits. Anyone converted their trailer to a break away tounge?

MyDoIt

Cadet

I looked at some fold away tounges, the ones I found were expensive. Another option might be to order a another piece of square tube steel that would fit inside the existing steel tube. I have seen this set up on another trailer and it seems to work well. The tube can slide in or out, which makes it removable (held in place with a locking hitch type pin). This also allows for removal to store in tight garages, or if you drill additional holes in the steel tube it becomes extendable for use at a shallow launch ramp. The change over to this set up is dependant on your skill level and resources as far as materials and tools. You would need to order the steel tube, cut the current tube, drill new bolt holes. The savings and added features seem worth it.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Harper Woods, MI? I don't recall how long Jas SeaRay heart transplant victim is, but it's likely to be falling under a sawzall soon. It's got bow rails it definitely won't be keeping.....

No idea how long, how many cleats/feet it has, how big an arch above the cap rail it has, nor how big it's radius bend fore & aft has, but it might warrant a Q&A w/ Jas before he puts it on CL/Craigs. Based on his post this am:
Yah, that Sea Ray is on borrowed time right now. I'm doing my best not to trash her as she would make a great project I think. With most guys out hunting and winter knocking on our door, boat buying/selling is a lil slow at the moment. I'll give her just a couple more days here, then, that's it:rip:

He may have other plans for it, but ya never know...

anderso8623

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the tips. I think I like the pull out version best. I could actually cut further back allowing for the most room. Do any of these methods hurt the structural integrity of the trailer? Do I have anything I have to cautious or make sure of if I do this?

MyDoIt

Cadet

Thanks for the tips. I think I like the pull out version best. I could actually cut further back allowing for the most room. Do any of these methods hurt the structural integrity of the trailer? Do I have anything I have to cautious or make sure of if I do this?

I'm not an Engineer of any type, I think as long as you order the same type/kind of steel in the size you need, and use the correct grade bolts/hardware that you shouldn't have a problem if you use the pull out version.