1974 Chieftan 21' 165 Mercruiser I/O

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Hey that's great you got her switched out. I hate that alignment BS the most of anything on the sterndrives, well the bellows weren't fun either.I worry that I didn't do mine correctly simply because I hadn't ever done the alignment or bellows before to know for sure. So far so good though and I plan to take off the outdrive this fall when I winterize just to check everything out and make sure everything is as it should be and there's no water getting in the bellows and the alignment is still good.

cj8mule

Senior Chief Petty Officer
The Chief has been an awesome boat this summer and fall. We're still fishing in Maryland and probably won't winterize until the middle of December :). I don't mind breaking a little ice of the boat ramp :shocked: I put so many run hours on this summer that I had to do an oil change.

I have quite a bit of rehab and maint. to do this winter. The biggest thing will be a small hardtop, but I also need to do bellows, shift cables, and ujoint.

I'll re-vive this thread again in a month or so. I'm going to need you guys to help get me through this hardtop thing!

dozerII

Admiral
Glad to here she is all you hoped her to be. Must be nice having such a long season, we have ice, snow and -25c already.

Weep'n Willy

Master Chief Petty Officer
CJ great to hear the Chief has given you a great season. I certainly wish we could be on the water that long but today it is brutally cold again and snowing. Have you sketched out your hard top design yet. I had thought about a hard top but what I am thinking is going with an arch setup with a framing for like a t-top where I could attach a vinyl roof when needed but yet be able to remove it on those nice days when I want to enjoy some sun.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Had to do an oil change! Must have been a tough summer. CJ. :D Glad you got plenty of time on the water and more water time before she gets stashed away. A hardtop - Sounds interesting.

Can we mark this Chieftain project as complete? With more to come of course because done never means finished.

InMotion

Commander
Awesome CJ! Congrats on having a great boating season!!!

Man... boating in December... wow! We've got some hard water (just) on the ponds and smaller bodies of water!

Look forward to seeing what you are up to with the maintenance and hardtop!

Jim

Watermann

Long time no see CJ. I was right there with ya when it comes to good times being had on the water with a good ole restored Chief. Although I don't think we got to see any pics of yours on the water?

cj8mule

Glad to here she is all you hoped her to be. Must be nice having such a long season, we have ice, snow and -25c already.

I'm not sure I could handle -25c anymore. I had some frostbite back a few years ago in Alaska... now, it hurts like a *** when I get cold. My hat's off to you Glen

CJ great to hear the Chief has given you a great season. I certainly wish we could be on the water that long but today it is brutally cold again and snowing. Have you sketched out your hard top design yet. I had thought about a hard top but what I am thinking is going with an arch setup with a framing for like a t-top where I could attach a vinyl roof when needed but yet be able to remove it on those nice days when I want to enjoy some sun.

I haven't sketched anything yet. I'm thinking about building a permanent top with 1/2" plywood stringers wrapped with 1/4" underlayment. Then using some good epoxy with mat and gel coat (or paint). I've not decided if it will attach to the windshield or be like a t-top. I would like the wind/rain protection so it'll probably connect to the windshield, but won't have any sides unless they are vinyl/plastic windows.

Had to do an oil change! Must have been a tough summer. CJ. :D Glad you got plenty of time on the water and more water time before she gets stashed away. A hardtop - Sounds interesting.

Can we mark this Chieftain project as complete? With more to come of course because done never means finished.

I put close to 150 run hours on her this summer and was glad to have such an efficient running motor. Trolling around all day on 4 to 6 gallons of fuel is nice on the wallet :cool: We can absolutely mark this Chief as complete... thanks GA

Awesome CJ! Congrats on having a great boating season!!!

Man... boating in December... wow! We've got some hard water (just) on the ponds and smaller bodies of water!

Look forward to seeing what you are up to with the maintenance and hardtop!

Jim

We're going to have a rough winter up here Jim.... especially, you guys around MI. Maybe we should have a February "Starmada Round-up" down there at Kevin's place in Florida :lol:

Long time no see CJ. I was right there with ya when it comes to good times being had on the water with a good ole restored Chief. Although I don't think we got to see any pics of yours on the water?

Sorry about the pics H20. There are some pics and a short video way back on page (who knows) lol. I was by myself on the maiden voyage, but my oldest son moved up here a few weeks ago. I'll get some more video once this wind lays down a little and we can go fishing :joyous:

It changed how to load pictures again :confused: I found those pics on photobucket, but can't figure out how to load them.

Last edited:

Watermann

Oh yeah I remember the Chief tied up at the dock pics and the deep fried deliciousness! I was just hoping for some summer fun pics after the initial splash down. :joyous:

Last edited:

GA_Boater

I hope a glitter boat doesn't scream by and rock the boat. :eek:

Watermann

Not sure why the i and the O are so close together om the keyboard... :confused: :facepalm:

GA_Boater

Your other vowel choice was "u". Then PETA would be on your case. :lol:

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Great stuff cJ! You didn't waste any time getting-in a good boating season!

You restored a +40 year-old chief...I'm confident that you'll figure-out how to get the new forum all figured-out! :thumb:

cj8mule

No Title

Great day fishing yesterday... a balmy 50 degrees. Now, it's snowing :rolleyes:

It's hard to tell in the picture but the little guy is a 19" striper

Attachments

• photo212597.jpg
    photo212597.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 0

Weep'n Willy

Master Chief Petty Officer
Very fine catch CJ. Makes me antsy for spring...can't wait to get back out and battle some spring salmon.

Watermann

Yeah now there's some fillets! Waiting here for the freeze up to go ice fishing on the little lakes. Walleye start biting good in February too.

dozerII

Admiral
Great catch CJ, too much ice and to cold to put a boat in here and not enough ice to go ice fishing.

cj8mule

I'm hoping for at least one more trip next week :)

Happy Thanksgiving to you all!