1974 Chieftan 21' 165 Mercruiser I/O

cj8mule

Senior Chief Petty Officer
The Chief has a new hat on. I hate trying to fish around the bimimi top and straps so I built a pretty small one. I picked up some new stainless footman loops that I need to install.

20140702_165313_zps9ce246b3.jpg

20140702_165322_zpsfb6fe8a4.jpg

Next up is a storage cover to sew up

Last edited:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Hey CJ your pics didn't show up in the post.

I've been looking around on EvilBay and like the idea of getting a bimini for under 150. Just need the right size and color.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Aqua - check out bestchoiceproducts and north-east-harbor at that place. One of them only had gray fabric though.
CJ - Photobucket seems to be the best way to post pics right now.

Last edited:

cj8mule

Things keep changing on posting pictures.... I'm using photobucket and using the direct link now instead of the IMG link. Pictures are showing for me???

I don't have much money in this little bimini H20. It's only 48" long X 70" wide and cost me around $65 with the new emt frame for the hoops. I had to buy new strap material and latches but already had the ends and brackets from an old top.

GA_Boater

I always used the IMG. Does using direct link make clickable thumb nails?

cj8mule

I always used the IMG. Does using direct link make clickable thumb nails?

I'm not sure GA. I used to use the IMG code before the boards "upgrade" :) I'm going to try the IMG code a little different way this time and see if my picture will show up.

I've got around $100 in my boat cover. .... not sure I'll ever make another one. What a pain in the :censored: Anyway, the deed is done and the boat is protected from the elements.

cj8mule

My last post went right through without any error messages!! S W E E T!!

I was out fishing in the Chesapeake yesterday in some pretty sloppy water. There were solid 2's with sets of 3' s every now and then with a very short period. I almost got sea sick :dizzy: and am sure the Chief looked like a big ole bobber out there.

I'm still very pleased with this tin cans performance. Now, some of my work I'm going to redo this winter. ... like the helm and the seats. I also need to finish the cabin. But..... for now ... it's a great fishing machine!

GA_Boater

That pic worked, CJ. If I tried to make a cover a few fingers would be sewn to the seams. I don't see any blood, so it's a great job. :smile:

Watermann

Kudos for the cover job CJ. I don't think I'll be making a cover any time soon, not my forte' for sure. Tin boats and rough water, not near the weight of glassers to smooth out the ride so the big chop beats you up a bit until you find the sweet spot.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
Kudos for the cover job CJ. I don't think I'll be making a cover any time soon, not my forte' for sure. Tin boats and rough water, not near the weight of glassers to smooth out the ride so the big chop beats you up a bit until you find the sweet spot.

The sweet spot for me in 3'ers is that speed right between hull speed and planing...plowing water. It's not real graceful :cold: It's the short wave periods here that make it so hard. I've been reading a bunch about Tolman Alaskan skiffs, and they're the same deal...too light for a deep vee, but you can push a 25' plywood/epoxy boat at 30 knots with a 115 outboard. You just have to slow it way down in sloppy seas.

Last edited:

cj8mule

I agree about the plowing and was still able to make 16 knots most of the time when heading straight into the waves. 10 knots when I couldn't run into them.

This Chesapeake aint like running around in the Gulf of Mexico. At least in the Gulf, you mostly get a longer period between the waves. 2 or 3 footers with a 6 second period ain't that bad.

cj8mule

I got to use my towboat US policy Sunday. The used engine coupler I put in failed and left me stranded on the Potamac river. I totally take the full responsibility for this failure because I didn't use the correct grease on the splines.

Oh well... live and learn. You shouldn't use axle grease on the engine coupler. There is a special grease for it that is on the way from iboats (along with a new coupler). Fortunately, the shaft splines on the outdrive are still in good shape :)

Watermann

Youch! I have 2 different types of Quicksilver greases I used, their 2 4 C and Extreme Grease. I used the 2 4 C for about everything that needed greasing right down to the shafts on the shift levers. I used the extreme for the splines on the drive shafts in the lower and engine coupler. I'm not sure that there would've been a failure that soon though just because of the axle grease on the splines. As Bondo's sig line says "any grease is better than no grease". So what were the symptoms prior to the failure and do you have to pull the motor back out to change couplers?

Sure is a bright side there wasn't any damage done to the drive shaft but be sure to check the gimbal bearing and it's grease seal too.

cj8mule

Youch! I have 2 different types of Quicksilver greases I used, their 2 4 C and Extreme Grease. I used the 2 4 C for about everything that needed greasing right down to the shafts on the shift levers. I used the extreme for the splines on the drive shafts in the lower and engine coupler. I'm not sure that there would've been a failure that soon though just because of the axle grease on the splines. As Bondo's sig line says "any grease is better than no grease". So what were the symptoms prior to the failure and do you have to pull the motor back out to change couplers?

Sure is a bright side there wasn't any damage done to the drive shaft but be sure to check the gimbal bearing and it's grease seal too.

I think the problem with using axle grease is that it won't stay on. There was little to no grease on the drive shaft spline when I pulled the outdrive off. I've also been doing a lot of trolling around at idile which some say is hard on the coupler. My thinking on using a 40 something year old coupler was if it aint broke, why replace it. I've got around 50 hours of run time since putting that old coupler back in service. (the splines on the coupler looked OK, but it is aluminum so maybe it had more wear on it than I thought)

I'll check the gimbal bearing, but I'd be surprised if it is bad. I'm getting pretty good at pulling boat motors and should have her back together in about 5 hours :D

Last edited:

dozerII

Admiral
That sucks cj, I have been using normal EP grease on the splines since I started working on there things with out a problem. I have a friends 4.3 Crestliner I the hanger at the moment with a blown coupler, have no Idea what caused it.

cj8mule

That sucks cj, I have been using normal EP grease on the splines since I started working on there things with out a problem. I have a friends 4.3 Crestliner I the hanger at the moment with a blown coupler, have no Idea what caused it.

That's exactly what you're supposed to use Glen. Extreme Pressure(EP) grease.

Watermann

From what I understand couplers fail for 2 reasons, no grease and the splines are gone, rubber separated and melted from the splines means it was out of alignment.

cj8mule

From what I understand couplers fail for 2 reasons, no grease and the splines are gone, rubber separated and melted from the splines means it was out of alignment.

Thanks for confirming that for me H20!

dozerII

Admiral
Here's couple pictures of the Crestliner mounts, out of the 8 bolts that hold the cross member and mounts in 7 were loose the port mount was moving 3/8"side to side. I have a thread in the Mercruiser section.

cj8mule

Here's couple pictures of the Crestliner mounts, out of the 8 bolts that hold the cross member and mounts in 7 were loose the port mount was moving 3/8"side to side. I have a thread in the Mercruiser section.

I bet that would destroy an engine coupler Glen!

I got some free time today and replaced my engine coupler. The splines in the old coupler was worn smooth :eek:

I had to do that little trick with the line up tool and reset the bearing to get it true with the coupler. I also had to raise the front of the engine up a good 1/4" in order to get a good spline pattern on the line up tool. So,,,, maybe there was some more to the coupler failure than no grease.

Have a great week fellows.... I'm off fishin' :D