1974 24' Chieftan Express project

Status
Not open for further replies.

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant
Yep 64, AL is so much easier :)

How would yall recommend I lift the Chief off her current trailer onto the new one? I'm thinking of hooking my chain hoist to the center bow deck hook like I've done before and use my loader tractor lifting the stern by the 2 U-bolts. My question would be what weight are marine u bolts normally rated for? I'm estimating the boat weights 3500 lbs right now with fuel and such, but as most of that weight is in the stern the bolts will be supporting over half the weight.

Weep'n Willy

Master Chief Petty Officer
Unfortunately all our launches are froze over now and that certainly would have been the easiest. Not sre I would trust lifting that much boat by the bolts. You may want to get a hold or say Desmond Marine oven Sanilac Marina as I know those two have boat lifts and could lift it off and set it on the new trailer. Not sure what they would charge you but i don't think it will be that much. Not sure if Lexington Marina has a lift or not.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Can you take the trailer jack and winch post off the current trailer and back the new trailer right up to the bow?

Since its a roller trailer, maybe even push the boat back wards on the current trailer a little, so you can slide the new trailer further over the existing so the start of the bunks are closer to where the rollers stop?

Block the tires really well on both trailers and winch it from 1 to the other?

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Yeap I did the leap frog method with my Chief. Going to the bunk trailer from the old roller. I left the bunk angle brackets a little bit loose just enough so they could be lined up with the angle of the hull. Once set to the correct angle I tightened them up and continued to winch the hull up onto the new bunk trailer. Looking at your set up you may want to think about putting a keel roller up front and the dropped down keel roller in the back if it doesn't already have one.

The BIG difference is my Chief was just an empty hull when I did it but dozer accomplished it with a fully loaded boat.

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant
No Title

Did you know Starcraft made a Flying Chieftain? :) I had called around trying to find a marina to lift the boat but had a brain fart and forgot the indoor shops! Found one who would do it, now it's on the new trailer. There is some adjusting to be done but it's on!

Attachments

• photo215343.jpg
    photo215343.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 21
  • photo215344.jpg
    photo215344.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 20

jbcurt00

Staff member
Carp, it looks HUGE suspended or on it's new ride:
fetch

fetch

Figured I'd blow them up for ya :)

Looks like the rear end is down a bit far, even if it's only jacked up like that to be bow high w/ a low pressure rear trailer tire.....

Weep'n Willy

Master Chief Petty Officer
Good new 73. Glad you found someone that could get it done for ya. Where did ya take it to?

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant
You've right JB, the tire is low! Right now its jacked all the way up in the front due to how high my wife's truck hitch is. And the stern will sit about 5" lower on the trailer when I get the bunks adjusted properly.

WnW, I took it to Pro Marine. I had never seen a hoist there which is why I hadn't called them before... totally forgot about indoor hoists till I reread your thread. The owner did it for $100. Nice and polite guy, but flat out declined to do any other work on a boat or engine of this age! I didn't think an '84 engine was that old, but apparently he does not like working on anything before 2000 or so. Even winterizing he declined to do... odd to turn down business in this day and age. I asked if he knew of any place that would work on it, and he didn't think there was any in the area. Hope nothing major breaks or I will be needing to haul it back to Midland for work!

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant
How many bunks on the trailer would you guys use? Right now it has 4 full length bunks... would there be any benefit to only having 2? Perhaps less friction for unloading so not having to back in as far?

Watermann

I have 4 bunks on my Chief chariot for the added support. I back the trailer in until the bunks get wet and then pull back out to load. There seems to be little if any resistance to the 4 bunk set up. I also have a keel roller up front too so the bow is positioned for the stop and the forward weights on it.

pckeen

Commander
Use four - that's a big boat you are carrying, and it will be more stable with four.

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant
Feels like forever since I worked on the Chief... probably because it has! She has been in the barn for the last two years as last May our first daughter was born, and our second was born this May. I've been busy as a father so left her stored. Now it looks like I will be able to use her so I'm fitting her out for the year. One gas tank was full, the other was left almost completely empty (my bad, I had thought they were both full when I winterized it). The 2 year old gas is bad so that will need to be drained.

Question though. The empty tank probably got a bit of water into it when I washed the boat down two days ago, and possibly condensation over the two years. I put a bottle of Heat it it and a couple gallons of gas, thinking to drain it out the gas line. Problem is, it won't drain without suction. I started the flow (gas tastes nasty BTW) but it stopped immediately. Should I just fill the tank with 12 gallons of fresh gas and run it through the engine? Regular gas or ethenol free?

Last edited:

Watermann

Welcome back,

To get the fuel to flow out can you take the fuel line off down low where it goes into the fuel filter or pump and splice into it and then run line out the bilge drain hole.

dozerII

Admiral
Welcome back and congrats on the new additions to the family. You won't get it to syphon out fuel due to the anti-syphon valve.

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant
Thanks guys! Do you think draining it is needed or should I fill her up and let the Heat do the job?

Watermann

If you have a good spin on filter see if she'll fire off and run on the muffs in the driveway first.

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant
So after having used this boat for a few years, I can clearly see (or rather, not see) why Starcraft raised the roof on their boats in the 80's by about a foot. Just before planning I can't see squat. Up on plane, I cannot see for 50' in front of the bow... another foot of height would be nice!

But after 2 unsuccessful years of attempting to sell it, my winter project is to slice the top of her off and convert her into a 24' Holiday basically. With a large OB on a bracket :) The engine and outdrive have been sold, and I've been stripping the drivetrain parts off and taking the swim deck off. I'll post as the project contines

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant
I know Waterman, it's going to be hard cutting it off! But apparently it's not a popular style, I couldn't even get $2,000 out of it with a running V8 and a trailer with new tires and bearings. I could have parted it out and sold the aluminum for scrap and made more than the offers I've gotten. Soooooo, repurpose to something I will use!

Status
Not open for further replies.