1974 24' Chieftan Express project

Status
Not open for further replies.

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant
After a week of talking with the seller, this 74 Chieftain Express hard top followed me home! The hull is in excellent shape with no major scrapes or dents. The deck and transom are soft however. Its powered by a Merc 188 hp Ford 302, and after looking it over it appears to be crack free exept for a small crack in the port exhaust manifold that appears to have been repaired quite a while ago. The engine turns over by hand, so I will probably tinker with it to see if it has any life left. It has twin 18 gallon gas tanks almost under the rear gunnels that look to be in good shape. The seller wanted it gone badly, and threw in a bunch of free goodies :) and the purchase price..... a coooool $300 ;) And $200 worth of diesel... but the freebies would cover most of that. Im thinking of tinkering with this project over the winter, mainly the interior and then look for a repower over the summer if it needs it, enjoying the mariner while fixing this gigantic hull up. Also considering comverting it to a center console... but that would likely be down the road a bit.

One odd part is the data plate says 24' Ch 4X I/O...whats 4x??

The best part of all was I had almost convinced myself not to buy it, but my better half convinced me to buy it! She is the coolest! :)
20131022_174734.jpg20131022_163958.jpg20131022_174553.jpg
20131022_202747.jpg

Last edited:

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1974 24' Chieftan Express project

Sweet! I'd love to find an express hardtop for my next project. Awesome score!

InMotion

Commander

Awesome Chief! Nice score ---- and a total bonus that the Admiral "forced" you too.... mmmm, wonder if she is looking for something!!! :) Either way, sounds like a great boat. Looking forward to seeing the pics!

J.

elkhunter338

Master Chief Petty Officer

good deal, you guys east of the rockies get all the great deals. Have fun getting her water ready. That 302 might have lots of life left. Check the compression, get her running and see what it sound like and why kind of oil pressure you have. 302 are good engines.

jbcurt00

Staff member

One odd part is the data plate says 24' Ch 4X I/O...whats 4x??

Welcome TimelessDave. I happen to have the 1974 Starcraft cruisers brochure right here. The 2 top-of-the-line cruisers were the Chieftain 24 Mark IV (yellow & white) with an open cockpit and a closed galley; and the Chieftain 24 Mark IV Express (avocado green & white) with a covered cockpit and an open galley. Next down we have the Chieftain 21 Mark IV (yellow with black) that has a closed galley. That one had been in the lineup a few years at that point. That model was i/o only at that point but by 1976 they also offered an outboard version. The base Chieftain was the Chieftain 18 o/b (white). It also had been around a few years. It had an enclosed cabin but no cabinets, sink nor stove. The other cruisers offered were 2 different versions of the low-slung Islander 21. The Islander 21 had a bright blue hull and a white deck. It had an open floor with just 2 seat in the open cockpit (fishermen liked it). The other was the Islander 21 Mark IV with a black hull, silver deck and red interior. It had back to back sleeper seats and 2 stern seats.
4X = Mark IV??

attachment.php

Congrats, awesome! A well spent $500, IMHO.

Looking forward to following along.

W/ a low $500 upfront, including diesel, and much of it recoupable, does the Aerocraft get to stay?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

SCORE

She's biggun, 73. :D I'm really surprised none of you know what the 4X means. You need a 4X4 to pull the big baby up a ramp. :lol:

My guess is Mark IV Express.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

If you chop and cut that girl and convert to a cc, you will be destroying a piece of history, and may get shot. !!!

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

That was a stressful last 150 miles... despite having a bearing buddy that I repacked before leaving, there was grease flung all over the tire and rim. Stopped 4 times to put more in and each time more was on the rim.. can they be easily over packed or is my bearing on its way out?

Jb, the Admiral says the AC would be our engine money should we repower. And with the 2 Starcrafts... not likely that we would use her much.

Roscoe, I hear you. It has very classic lines and there are not tons of these hulls around. However, its about the only way I could afford a 24' cc starcraft. The outboard one I posted in the CL thread is sweet, but at $14, 500 shes steep.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander

Roscoe, I hear you. It has very classic lines and there are not tons of these hulls around. However, its about the only way I could afford a 24' cc starcraft. The outboard one I posted in the CL thread is sweet, but at $14, 500 shes steep.

Really just my $.02, but, as someone who initially had the a similar conversion in mind when I got a Chieftain cuddy, I'm really glad I kept the cabin intact. It's a dry space and it extends my season so I'm only off the water for ice in. Plus, yours is a looker with that superstructure. Like I said, that's just my opinion, FWIW. Best of luck whichever way you decide to go.

dozerII

Admiral

Great looking Chief and super deal. Hope the engine runs and you can get some troubler free use out of her.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

That's so amazing! Congrats!
That has to be the best dollar per pound precious metal investment I've seen on here!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

THREE HUNDRED BUX??????!!!!

wwwwwooooooooowwwwww!!!!!

Super score my friend!!!:joyous:

64osby

Admiral

That was a stressful last 150 miles... despite having a bearing buddy that I repacked before leaving, there was grease flung all over the tire and rim. Stopped 4 times to put more in and each time more was on the rim.. can they be easily over packed or is my bearing on its way out?

Awesome deal Chief!!!!

Sounds like the seals are gone. Yes you can over fill, but if it's spitting grease there is an issue.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You can overfill BB's. Might be both an overfill and worn seal. Was it just one of the four?

Please don't decapitate her. Those are rare enough.

Weep'n Willy

Master Chief Petty Officer

Great boat, super price! Well done. Heaven forbid, please don't chop her up. She has been around a looooong time and deserves to keep her dignity and beauty. Good luck.

chriscraft254

Commander

24 foot center console with a t-top and enclosure would be sweet!! Chop it up!! :)

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

More pics, shes huge inside! My wife and I stood in it considering the options and think we will keep the cabins for now and get out on the water with it before deciding. Visibility is not super from in the cabin, but workable. I dont really feel like decapitating here anyways.. just too cool of a look as is to chop it off! But cc's are sweet too... perhaps just keep both starcrafts :)

The strangest part of buying it was that after I paid the guy, he kept throwing more things in with it. Life jackets, throwables, bumpers, a very large heavy anchor, battery, tarp, sway bars, a new winch, and a very heavy ajustable hitch. All after I paid for it.. but sweet! Freebies are always cool
20131023_151223.jpg20131023_151246.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.