1983 26' Starcraft Sportfisherman 261V Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1983 26' Starcraft Sportfisherman 261V Rebuild

Well dood, I'm still gunnin to have the Islander floating some time in June, that's the priority. Then, after that:

If I find an engine for the Sea Nymph, I'll rebuild that one.

Or...

If I find a pole barn for the this BIG 261 than I'll rebuild this one.

So, yah, whatever happens first is good with me I suppose.

Either way, I'll likely gut both boats this summer, jus cuz:thumb:

Gibbles

Lieutenant Commander

Yeah I said something like that last year... then it kept getting pushed out... then I was all like "early spring" now that's "Late spring/early summer" :p

jbcurt00

Staff member

Demo lets the creative thinking about put back really start :cool:

You need to make friends w/ the power/phone company guys replacing 'telephone' poles in your neck of the woods. Glasser guy @here somewhere got 20+/- GIANT poles dropped off for free..... Used them as a timer frame for his pole barn........

Rich11304

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Jas - Have you considered buiding a Stinson Shed on your property. The plans are $20 and can be adjusted to your needs. They are very cost efficient. Material is about $600-800. They are very popular with people who restore sailboats. Hey, you could have a shed party and have that thing built in one or two week-end before the winter. You can even tell the Admiral that it will be turned into a green house when "all the projects are completed".

Attachments

• photo210688.jpg
    photo210688.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

bear_69cuda

Commander
Sorry I'm posting on Jason's thread but I've not seen any posts from him in a long time... Everything okay?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Guys - We all miss Jason. He has talked with other members and he is busy with his new job. But until he comes back, please don't post in the thread. Thanks.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Allrighty!

As I mentioned on my Islander thread, I am DONE with IO's!!!! I am now, and will forever be an OB guy! :becky:

Immediately after I made that decision, the stern deck of this boat sure seemed to be A LOT bigger!
P1110427.jpg

That will be awesome to win back all that space back there, really excited about that.

So, after a whole bunch of research, I narrowed down my choices to either an older Evinrude E-TEC or a Yamaha OX66. No doubt I had a very hard time finding any E-TEC's that were within my budget range. The Yamaha OX66 I was routinely seeing for a couple thousand less.

Then, one popped up that was a screaming good deal and even included gauges and controls and shipped right to me for free! So, I pulled the trigger....
20161210_065558.jpg

This is a 2001 Yamaha 250 OX66, excellent condition, low hours, very happy:thumb:

I need just a few major pieces to make this project happen:

1) Yamaha T9.9 with a XL shaft, electric start and power T&T

2) OB Bracket

3) Pole Barn

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Holy s&*t! You pulled the trigger on a huge outboard! Is an OX66 fuel injected? I'm very happy with my Yamaha 200 HPDI although I am terrified about all the complication under the hood if anything goes wrong with it :eek:

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Holy s&*t! You pulled the trigger on a huge outboard! Is an OX66 fuel injected? I'm very happy with my Yamaha 200 HPDI although I am terrified about all the complication under the hood if anything goes wrong with it :eek:

Yup, that is a fuel injected OB.

My rough math tells me that this 250 should be just right for this hull, I'm pumped.

In my research this OX66 kept coming up as "bullet proof" and the "ultimate outboard". I think it's advanced enough to correct some of the old school OB issues but simple enough that I can still handle most of the routine maintenance on it. That's what I'm hoping for anyhow.

MNhunter1

Ensign
Nice score! What are your plans for the O/B bracket/mounting. I see a Chief or Islander in my future and would prefer an O/B as well. Not sure it was even an available option on any of the older Islanders, although you can find them in the Chieftains. Those older Islanders have some unique and beautiful lines and seem a little more suitable for a fishing rig than the layout of the Chiefs.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Your issues with the IO makes me glad my experience went flawlessly. That sure is a monster project but going OB will make the task less daunting.

Is the Yamaha a standard length? Only issue I can foresee is the OB pod being too low if it's not a 25" leg on big water the powerhead can run more of a risk getting swamped.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
MN Hunter - we will have to see it unfold once I get the bracket on hand. I'll document it all here.

Yah WM, IO's are out of my world. It was even confirmed when I was winterizing the Islander a couple of weeks ago. On my belly, in the dark, digging around deep into the doghouse, freezing rain, cold snap on the way that night........yah, that's enough.

Yup, that's a 25" shaft so I should be good to go :thumb:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Allrighty!

This is a 2001 Yamaha 250 OX66, excellent condition, low hours, very happy:thumb:

I need just a few major pieces to make this project happen:

1) Yamaha T9.9 with a XL shaft, electric start and power T&T

2) OB Bracket

3) Pole Barn

An OX and a Tinny should be a good match, Jas. :thumb:

Is your list in reverse order? :D

Ratherbboatin

Petty Officer 1st Class
I myself have had really good luck with the I/O's. I think it is mostly because I have always kept them stored in heated buildings through the winter. They always perform crappy after dealers winterize them. I do see the advantage of an OB set up if you ever need to swap the engine. I have had my 18.5 ft welded boat 1 summer now and the 115 Yamaha performed perfect. Never fast enough for me though.

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander
Cant wait to see what you do with this one. Dont blame you for going OB. I will have to stick to IO, old car guy. The alure of more room less moving parts and no wadding up in weird shaps to winterize is tempting though.

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I found an out of this world deal on a 40 hp Etec this summer. A deal that might rival any of your bottom feeder finds. If that Yammy is anything like mine you'll love it. Idles nice, quiet as heck and the computer will tell you what's wrong when they break. Fuel injection is always the way to go, cars or boats. They run soo much better. I am a car guy so the IO would be my choice for that size boat but I hear ya. If you're not super mechanical or had never really fooled around with cars, the IO can be daunting. Good luck with the big girl.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Having fuel injection has been amazing. No choking, priming, revving, nothin'. Don't even really have to pump the bulb more than once a season. Friggin' LOVE it.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
There are a LOT of those OX66's still running strong with thousands of hours. I think you got a good one.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Is your list in reverse order? :D

Oh, I dunno, if the opportunity presented itself, the order of things could be changed up a bit:becky:

Now that we have that cleared up, check this out....
s-l1600.jpg

Just snatched that beauty up!

2013 Yamaha 4 Stroke T9.9 High Thrust, XL Shaft, electric start with power T&T, and less than 100 hours on it, yesssssss! Man that will be perfect for trolling the big lake chasing salmon and steelhead:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Last edited:

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
Congrats on the 26 footer and the new score! I'm tagging along on this one. That OX is a beaut as well. I can't wait to see how this one turns out!

Status
Not open for further replies.