What model is this 21'?

jbcurt00

Staff member
Re: What model is this 21'?

My admiral just called me an enabler.............

Happy to have helped...... :facepalm:

Good luck however you proceed & be careful dragging the trailers around & loading/unloading it which ever way you do it.

When you unexpectedly show up at home w/ it, I was never here.........:rolleyes:

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

So just to update. It was as expected, a boat that has been sitting for a few years neglected. He used it a few times and had problems with some older 150 mercs, said he went through a couple. Although when it all worked he said he enjoyed the hell out of it. After that it sat and he just used his fg bayliner! The previous owner to him removed the I/O and build a steel frame and hung a 70hp on that. This guy then fiber glassed the frame in, so basically it's junk to me which I expected. It has about 2" of moss covering the interior and I couldn't get to the HIN easily. Although I did find the interior label that said 21' Chieftain and the serial. Other than that the hull looks really decent with a few minor dents, and he said it didn't leak..... Biggest concern was the trailer which is a single axle almost home built thing. The leafs are right behind the axles and I couldn't get a great look at them. There is a cross member that is all rusted out and it is definitely "rough". I sure wouldn't risk the boat or a life attempting to tow that trailer, it's just dangerous. New bearings and tires still wouldn't put me at ease. So I am trying to see what options I have on how to move it. I might see if I can find someone with a big enough car trailer to drag the whole thing onto. He suggested a flat bed tow truck, not sure if that's a good idea or not. He does have a small mini excavator there that got me thinking it might be able to be lifted and slid onto a different trailer. I'm not too sure on how one can move a boat from one trailer to another safely and easily. Although with no engine it's just basically a hull. So I'm gonna explore a couple options and see if it's worth it. The hull is exactly what I am looking for as far as a project. It's just the logistics of getting it home.

get in there and get dirty...this is a life test and will build character. the harder it is to yank that rig out of its situation the more a help youll be to the human race!!!!:eek:
.............bob

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Fiberglassed steel OB bracket you say?

That sounds like a mess.

Yah, I'd consider that a bare hull only. Prolly best to get the boat swapped over to a good trailer if yur going to go for this boat. I'd price it accordingly too.

blazin_jason

Seaman Apprentice
Well I guess it was meant to be. After first looking at it I was undecided if I should buy a trailer and swap it over. At that time I really needed a utility trailer ($3K aluminum). So I decided to not pursue the chief. Although I always thought about it, and continued to browse the local classifieds since. Recentyly a 19 Chief project came up, but I really wanted a 21' or 22'. I figured it wouldn't hurt to email the old seller with the 21' and see if it just happened to be there still. Which it was, considering the jungle had been claiming it over the past 6 years I wasn't overly surprised. So yesterday I went down and we spent a couple hours clearing it out. Just moving it a few feet caused the axle to snap just behind the wheels, it is rusted like no other. So we arranged to have a flatbed come pick it up and deliver it about 125km to my place. Operating like some other members here, I didn't mention it to the admiral, so she was a bit surprised (not really) to see another project. Plan is it to start and finish the 16' SS before doing major work to the chief.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Congrats!! Good thing that the axle crapped-out when it did!

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Ah yeah that does my heart good seeing another Chief rescued from the trash heap :thumb: