What model is this 21'?

blazin_jason

Seaman Apprentice
Couple really bad pics of what I am told is a 21' starcraft, possibly 70's. Not sure if it's an Islander or Chieftain. All I know is that the I/O setup has been removed and it may have a pod. Just wondering if it's worth driving down to check it out.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Re: What model is this 21'?

If it's 21' & seems priced attractively to you, does it matter if it's a Chieftan or Islander...........

NorthBeach or a current owner of the exact same boat may be able to ID if further. Else, you'll just have to sift thru the images @the Starcraft brochure page until you find a 21' in that paint scheme.

I think it was NorthBeach that said the larger boats were model year/color combo specific.... So a blue cabin side & white hull may tell you what year...

Is it a 20' 9" boat labeled by SC or the seller as a 21'? My 1st 15' Jet is 14' 9"....

Or is it a 21' 6" boat labeled a 21' by SC/seller? My other Jet Star 15' is 15' 2"....

It could be 'mislabeled' for length by either Starcraft or the seller...........

Get more pix..

From the 2 pix posted, it's hard to tell from this perspective where the cabin/helm is on the boat, relative to the transom.

More deck room aft of the cabin on 1 versus the other model, I think, for most models that were both offered during a model year, but at the same length.................

Good luck!

Weep'n Willy

Master Chief Petty Officer

Certainly looks to be a Cheiftain. Appears to be lost in a jungle :laugh:

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

^^^ +3 on the Chieftan!

did you blaze through the SS project already?? I know you have/had your hands-full with that one!

blazin_jason

Seaman Apprentice

Been busy with work, almost no progress on the ss, just have the hull stripped starting to drill rivets. This is typical of me to start another project before I finish the first. Although the SS should be done over winter/spring.

It's only about 1.5 hours away, hopefully I can get a day off and he is available to see it. I know they almost give these things away on the east coast. He is asking $800, and the trailer is "rough". I'd have to see if the trailer would even make it home with new bearings, or have to figure something out.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

That might be a reasonable price but if you have to cough up $600 bux for 4 new bearings and 4 new tires just to get it home, eeeeehhhhh, maybe, maybe not.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

I don't think I have seen a lapstrake sided Islander with that high a side window or cabin.,.....so Id think no way its an Islander....it has to be a starcheif. make sure the springs hardware is up for the trip home as well....I went to NC with my empty trailer to pick up a big SC boat and came home missing two leafs out of one of the springs....YIKES....sure hope it just bounced off to the side of the road...bob

blazin_jason

Seaman Apprentice

I was concerned I might catch the MBS bug after spending some time on here. I figured a 21-22' cabin model would be a nice couple year tinker project that would fit more people and be better for ocean use. I don't know if there is much noticeable difference in hulls between the larger models, or if negligible. I know if I do happen to find a project that I wanted to pod it and run a 150-200hp outboard anyways. So having no current engine is a start. Also I would eventually want a decent tandem axle electric brake trailer. So I really wouldn't want to invest any money into the current trailer. I guess if I can swing it, it won't hurt to go at least see it in person and get a better idea of what's there.

dozerII

Admiral

That's what I like to see, another Kanuck going down to pillage there old StarCraft inventory!!!:D

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

That's what I like to see, another Kanuck going down to pillage there old StarCraft inventory!!!:D

Jason's brother has to complete Border Patrol training so he guard the northern tinny escape tunnels and apprehend all you wascally wabbits. :faint2::eek::watermelon:

Blazin' - Hope you get to join us Tin-Nuts soon. :D

blazin_jason

Seaman Apprentice

Going to go tomorrow morning to take a look at it. It's been sitting at least the last 5-6 years, so I know all the standard stuff is probably rotten. I'm only really concerned about the trailer so that's what I will be checking over. Anything else in particular that I should maybe look for on the boat?

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Yah, I'd carefully eyeball all of the trailer running gear - hate to have ya end up on the side of the highway, such a drag.

You mentioned earlier that it may have a bracket. I'd take a close look at all that too. If it's a hack job that you'd have to straighten out be sure to factor that into negotiations.

All the best and safe travels!

jbcurt00

Staff member

If its filled w debris & mulch it maybe SIGNIFICANTLY heavier then the trailer was designed fo carry. So I'd take something to empty the debris w: a couple different shovels perhaps.

Surprised Jas didn't warn you about a puma....

blazin_jason

Seaman Apprentice

Ya his area looks pretty remote, hopefully no lion encounters! Not taking cash with me as there are things to sort out first if it's a go ahead.

blazin_jason

Seaman Apprentice

So just to update. It was as expected, a boat that has been sitting for a few years neglected. He used it a few times and had problems with some older 150 mercs, said he went through a couple. Although when it all worked he said he enjoyed the hell out of it. After that it sat and he just used his fg bayliner! The previous owner to him removed the I/O and build a steel frame and hung a 70hp on that. This guy then fiber glassed the frame in, so basically it's junk to me which I expected. It has about 2" of moss covering the interior and I couldn't get to the HIN easily. Although I did find the interior label that said 21' Chieftain and the serial. Other than that the hull looks really decent with a few minor dents, and he said it didn't leak..... Biggest concern was the trailer which is a single axle almost home built thing. The leafs are right behind the axles and I couldn't get a great look at them. There is a cross member that is all rusted out and it is definitely "rough". I sure wouldn't risk the boat or a life attempting to tow that trailer, it's just dangerous. New bearings and tires still wouldn't put me at ease. So I am trying to see what options I have on how to move it. I might see if I can find someone with a big enough car trailer to drag the whole thing onto. He suggested a flat bed tow truck, not sure if that's a good idea or not. He does have a small mini excavator there that got me thinking it might be able to be lifted and slid onto a different trailer. I'm not too sure on how one can move a boat from one trailer to another safely and easily. Although with no engine it's just basically a hull. So I'm gonna explore a couple options and see if it's worth it. The hull is exactly what I am looking for as far as a project. It's just the logistics of getting it home.

matt167

Captain

You can put the trailer on a long enough flatbed. That's done all the time.. If you have a 4x4 pickup, lock it up in low range and see if you can tug it out. To put it on the trailer, just use a guide pulley clipped somewhere low on the trailer frame and use the trailers winch to hoist it on the trailer. Just make sure to use a ratchet strap or something to hold the boat to the winch post.. If you can get the boat cheap enough it may be worth it. You may find a road construction company slowing down for the season that could use one of their truck and trailers to go get it for a small fee.

My dad resurected a '73 21' Chieftan that had sat a couple years after a tree fell on the cabin busting out the front windows but somehow saving the side windows. I don't have any pics of it, but it was a mess and everyone laughed at him when he pulled it home. Few bottle jacks, some new glass and the only way you could tell it took a hit was the railing on the bow was bent and the anchor light was busted.. That served as our fishing boat for many years

jbcurt00

Staff member

Can you access the front of the existing trailer w/ a 2nd trailer, backed right up to the winch post & back a bit further?

Having done it more then once, if you can get the 2 trailers lined up, and take the existing trailer winch post off, dropping the existing trailer's tongue to the ground, it's fairly easy to winch a boat from 1 trailer onto the other.... Just gotta keep the keel from dragging on the main spar of the existing trailer or the cross members of the to be loaded on trailer.

Just be careful as it pulls forward off the existing bunks, the hull may not yet be on the new trailers bunks. The further back on top of the existing trailer you can get the new trailer the better.

I've also unhooked the coupler from my ball hitch & raised the new trailer tongue to stab it back further under the bow of the boat on it's existing trailer. Chocked all 4 or the trailer wheels really well & used a fixed point (my truck) as a winch point instead of the trailer winch... Worked, but took a while....

blazin_jason

Seaman Apprentice

Yes the trailer could be dragged out to make access and life easier. Just looked online at people doing that. If he has cutting torches, or at least power, I could cutoff the stop and do what you are saying. The current trailer is a roller setup. There is a tandem galvanized trailer that had a 22' on it for sale some what local. Also will contact some transport options to see what that might cost. If it's too high it would make more sense to use that money towards a trailer now instead of later.