1974 Holiday 16 foot The Beginning

kevingr

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

Transom is out. And now onto cleaning up and getting the inside ready for Gluvit. Transom came out pretty easy, although the three bolts in the upper right corner were all bent and had to be cut off. I'm assuming maybe there was some stress there due to the bad transom. I'll go clean up the inside after the Green Bay/Chicago game. :)

Attachments

• photo230164.jpg
    photo230164.jpg
    285.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo230165.jpg
    photo230165.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo230165.jpg
    photo230165.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 0

kevingr

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

Got the first round of cleaning done. Ran out of scotch pads so I'll get more and finish up tomorrow hopefully.

Attachments

• photo230176.jpg
    photo230176.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 1

kevingr

Seaman Apprentice
So I ran into a little issue. I decided to wire wheel the seams and rivets since they were pretty dirty even after the initial cleaning, and under all the dirt I found a large about of silly cone along the bottom seam and the sides, right about where the boat starts to curve forward to the bow. The seam us just below the steering wheel and the exact opposite port side. It's the shiny metal in the pictures.

My question is how do I fix it? When I did the water test it didn't leak so I assume the silly cone was working, at least when the boat wasn't under stress. I taped the rivets gently and they don't appear to be loose. Is this a simple JB Weld fix? 5200?

Help Please :)

Having issues with pictures, I'll get them up as soon as I can.

Last edited:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
The seams and seam rivets is the place to use Gluvit on the inside. The quart size should be enough to get yours sealed up, it goes on pretty light otherwise it just runs.

kevingr

Seaman Apprentice
I made the assumption that the Gluvit was more for minor seeping leaks as opposed to something larger. When I pour water out of a bucket onto the affected area on the port side it comes out of the seam on the outside. The starboard side is not nearly as bad, just a few drops coming out, on the port side it's immediately wet and dripping out.

Watermann

Well if you can see a gap then I would use 5200 and let it work it's way through until it starts come out... if it does that is. Be sure to dry the area well first with a heat gun so it will adhere. 5200 is a powerful adhesive and should keep the seam that's leaking from opening up again down the road.

kevingr

Seaman Apprentice
Ok, I have the Gluvit and the boat is ready for that now. I think I'll put that on, let it cure and do another water test. I'll have to order the 5200. If it still leaks I can clean it up and apply the 5200. I'll be running out of warm days to get this kind of work done soon. While that is curing and waiting on the delivery I'll get the transom done.

Still not able to upload any pictures, just gives me an error without any explanation. Worked for the transom pictures the other day. Weird.

Watermann

I can tell you that the Gluvit will find it's way into any crevices but if there's much of a gap it could take 2 applications to fill it in completely.

kevingr

Seaman Apprentice
The Home Depot online tool says my local Home Depot doesn't carry it, it's 40 miles away, but I'll be heading that way this weekend so I was going to check it out. I wasn't able to apply the Gluvit last night, got rained out, hopefully it'll be dry today and I can put it on tonight.

Decker83

Commander
When I was looking for the 3m 5200 online at HD, said they didn't sell in the store. Went to the store and there it was on the shelf.. :facepalm:
Give them a call like g0nef1sshn said..

kevingr

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

Gluvit has been applied. I checked the seam underneath where it's leaking, I didn't see any run through to the outside, but it was going into the seam because when I'd go back and look there would be voids where I'd need to apply a little more. Got her done and back into the shed just before the rain started again. Lows in the 50's and highs in the 70's the next few days so I'll let it cure and get started on the transom today.

Attachments

• photo230437.png
    photo230437.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 1

kevingr

Seaman Apprentice
Also, figured out my picture issue. I can't upload any jpeg files, but I was able to convert it to png and that upload fine.

Watermann

Gluvit has been applied. I checked the seam underneath where it's leaking, I didn't see any run through to the outside, but it was going into the seam because when I'd go back and look there would be voids where I'd need to apply a little more. Got her done and back into the shed just before the rain started again. Lows in the 50's and highs in the 70's the next few days so I'll let it cure and get started on the transom today.

Sounds like the Gluvit is doing it's thing finding the seam gaps. Now that you have the gluvit in there, try not to walk around inside the boat without a piece of ply bridging 3 or 4 ribs otherwise it could stress the gluvit enough to crack or loose it's adhesion to the surface. Not so much the seams but any rivets with gluvit out in the field between the ribs.

kevingr

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

Thank for the info Waterman. Later this week after it cures I'll do another water test and if that is successful I'm going to get the floor back in. Having the floor back in will make work on the electrical and dash a lot easier.

Transom is all cut out and glued together, I'll let than dry a few days too, then start with the spar varnish.

Attachments

• photo230460.png
    photo230460.png
    847.3 KB · Views: 1

kevingr

Seaman Apprentice
Ok, been tied up with kids stuff and hunting, going to hit it again this weekend. I'll test the boat for leaks, drill all the needed holes in the transom and start with the spar varnish.

kevingr

Seaman Apprentice
Good news bad news. The leaks that I knew about no longer leak, but, found a few new ones in and close to the bow. A few of the rivets a seeping right in the bow about 13 rivets up from the keel. I need to apply 5200 to bow and order more Gluvit for the other rivets I found to be leaking. Closer inspection shows me that I miss a whole rib of rivets under the bow, and that has a couple leaking. I'm not sure I'll be able to get that done yet with cold weather moving in.

But I'll get the Gluvit ordered and finish up the drilling and spar on the transom. I'll get some pics posted on that soon.

kevingr

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

Finally finished the Transom. 4 coats of Helmsman spar varnish on all the edges and 2 on the front and back. Same on the wood piece that goes on the outside on the back whatever that's called. I dry fitted everything prior to the varnish and it was snug but fit real well. I'll be getting her back into the boat this week hopefully. Since the weather has turned cold there won't be any more work on the hull but I'll get the dash removed, bring that inside and get that recovered.

Attachments

• photo233133.png
    photo233133.png
    987.4 KB · Views: 1

Watermann

Looking god Kevin, a word of advice on the transom. Put the transom wood back in, mark the motor mounting holes and then pull it back out so you can drill the holes straight and even with it laying flat.