hp rating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got another question for you all, i see in literature that my 1966 starcraft holiday 18ft is rated for 120hp. Is that set in stone or is that flexiable???? The reason i ask is im a hot rodder at heart and would love to say i got a 300 hp boat. Just curious if i can upgrade my drivetrain or different boat.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: hp rating

Sure you can say you have a 300HP boat. :D I mean you could put a 165/170 in a Holiday and be fine but not 180 HP over. If that's what you want, it would be best to look for another boat

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

300 hp on that hull is not a good idea. The weight factor alone would turn me away from the idea.

You are going to need to change out the entire drive line.

I would likely look for a modern 3.0L 4 that puts out 130-140 hp.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Is this an OB or I/O?
For a OB I'd go to 150...
For a I/O, if you are running a 4 banger 120 I'd leave it alone.
The problem with I/Os is dollars spent versus increases in WOT speed is not the same as say putting 350 cubes into a vega wagon.
The payoff isn't there.
If I ever was to have had to reach my 120 in my Holiday, I would have looked for a 165 I6 motor.
That's as crazy as it would get.
There is also a bunch of insurance reasons were if you were to be involved in an accident on the water, being WAY OVER the hp limit

64osby

Admiral

I didn't think they rated I/O boats, just the OB's.

With 300 HP you might as well replace all the rivets before you splash.

GA_Boater

I didn't think they rated I/O boats, just the OB's.

With 300 HP you might as well replace all the rivets before you splash.

And after! :lol:

I/Os are rated as well, 64. All the tags and specs in the brochures have max HP for I/Os.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Yep, for sure I/Os have max hp as well
My holiday I/Os data plate had max 140hp stamp.
It's all about hull strength and flex. Ya can't put 16 ounces in a 12 ounce can..lol

GA_Boater

But we always try to put ten pounds in a five pound bag. :devilish:

64osby

Admiral

On my Mariner the mfg plate states max hp for an outboard. Do I/O mfg plates have that rating?

Yes I see the brochures list a recommended hp for both.

Gibbles

Lieutenant Commander

If talking outboard...
I'm a big fan of allowing some flex in the HP raiting... but 300hp in a boat rated for 120hp... no way!

I have a Jet that's rated for 35hp or 45hp (I forget), and it has a 65hp on it + a 9.8hp kicker...

It works, but the back sits real low, and I have to weigh the front down to keep it from bobbing... :lol:

if it were me I would flex it out to maybe 200hp max (only a newer 2 stoke, and that's pushing it)... but I would go off of weights... like find out what the highest weighing 120hp engine weighed in 1966, and use that for your baisis, I would try and stay close... but allow some flex maybe +100/120lbs...

Just my 2 cents from my overpowered 15ft 1963 Jet... :watermelon:

Last edited:

matt167

Captain

Get the most HP you can without going heavier. Realisticly, your boat could have come with say a Mercury 1100 ( 110HP ) 6cyl Tower Of Power. You could pretty safely switch to a 1500 ( 150HP ) and be just fine given they weigh almost the same

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Yes I/Os def have max hp
111023.jpg

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

300 hp would crush the hull from the banging and split the aluminum chines........ then you will have a 300hp submarine. You want 300 hp then you need a boat designed for it.

matt167

Captain

A Cheap 300hp boat is going to be an I/O... A Holiday 18 I/O with a mildly built marine 350 will be 300hp without much issue. It won't weigh but a few hundred extra pounds at the stern but would still float ok. I do think it would be overkill tho... A 470 Mercruiser with a decent aluminum cylinder head and the right pistons, it would probably make 250hp without much issue and be just as light as the little 2.5/3.0L Mercruiser. Given later Starcrafts used the 470 and 4.3L's in the same hulls, it's probably not far off base to use one of them in the older hulls as an upgrade.

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Well, the OP has a M/C 110. So it is an I/O. He also has a 1966, which does not have the added chine to rib gussets. So exactly like Bob-VT said, split chines are in his future if he gets carried away with much of any HP increase.

I say use it the way it is or buy a bragging rights boat. All my opinion, of course.

Ok. Got it. Hp rating pretty set in stone due to engineering of hull. I was just curious because like i said before, im a bit of a hot rodder and am always looki.g forcway to shove 20 lbs. in a 5 lb bag.

300 hp was just an example. 300 hp on a tbe water in a lil boat like my starcraft 18ft is dangerous in my opinion.

Last edited:

On more thing, can one of you fine gentlemen take a look at my fuel system plumbing thread and give me some opinions please. I really need to pin down my fuel system plan.

On more thing, can one of you fine gentlemen take a look at my fuel system plumbing thread and give me some opinions please. I really need to pin down my fuel system plan.

grzzzz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi again 66

Some of the lakes I fish here in the mountains of NM are higher than 8000ft. My 110hp really struggled. I made all (very minor) changes to get to the 120. Still couldn't plain. At these elevation I was only getting about 75hp. I put in the chevy straight 6cyl, it was an older one, had 150hp on the valve cover, dropped right in (had to extend the front motor mount about 6") and I am now very happy. With a couple buddy's, days liquid refreshments, coolers enough tackle to supply a Bass Pro shop, she'll now plain out at about 35mph, gps.

Grzzz
The Smoooooth!
boat3 015.jpgboatcabins.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.