16' Supersport "rolling rebuild"

Yeonik

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So, I sat the Ski Champ down for a little discussion the other day. I let her know it wasn't her fault, it was me - I had to move on to something else. I would be back, but it was time for me to wander a bit, get a taste of what else was out there. I didn't want to rush things with her, I wanted them done right, and I just couldn't do that with any distractions.

For those of you following that thread you know I picked up a 1973 16' SS for a song (600 greenbacks with trailer and a running motor that only needed a water pump and maybe lower unit seals.). She is in GREAT shape, one owner, was kept on a lake in a boat hoist most of the year. Transom is still solid, though I will probably replace that before TOO long (not in the cards at the moment.) Floor was rotten, but I could have used it. The rest of the wood was in good shape, but not great. Since you've read this far, Have some pics!

The admiral getting a look-see.

Shot of the interior + splashwell. Those seats just about killed me - I sat in one to "test it out" and everything crumbled beneath me!

Bow Structure

The first mate approves!:D

Now that you've had your fix, lets move on.

I've read just about all of the SS resto threads and I love what I see. This hull seems like it'll be a great fit for me - being in the middle of the state it's small enough to hit the smaller lakes, but I could still take it out on the Greats if the desire arose. It's also in the right price range for me - originally I was looking into a chief/islander, but those seem to be a bit out of the budget for the moment.

I'm calling this a "rolling rebuild" because I'm not doing everything at once. Oddly enough, I decided to go this route before reading Huron Angler's resto. (Great job by the way, HA)I think this may be the same idea - I'm not going to do the transom right away (no place for the motor) or worry about the paint. I've got access to cranes at work and I can probably leave it hang over thanksgiving/christmas and have plenty of time to paint/let it dry.

I've already got her stripped down to her birthday suit - all deck/interior is removed (it was stealthy, ninja-esque). Here's a handy to-do list, so we don't get lost!

Buy a real camera
Scrub hull
Gluvit - 2 lb kit (ordered)
Cut up some deck pieces, seal and install.
Cut the rest of the wood - Bow structure, console fronts, splashwell doors, side panels, dash
Vinyl - Nautolex Shark Gray
Install bow structure and consoles
Re-wire everything (P.O. had a rat's nest)
Install seating
Catch Walleye.

Somewhere in there I'm going to have to fit some motor work. Don't think it needs much (she ran great when we test ran before the sale) but you never know with these things! She's got a '73 65 hp 3cyl mercury.

I also will need to fit in a bunch of trailer work, or a new trailer. You can't really tell in the pics, but the trailer has bunks on the rear that are only about 2 feet long. I really don't like that. The tires are also really dodgy - dry rotted pretty bad. I REALLY didn't want to drag it all the way home from the sellers on these tires even though it was only ~20 miles, but it got here. I'll get some better pics of that sometime today. It also needs all new lights and wires - I had to pick up a set of magnetic lights. I already missed out on a sweet 85hp 'rude attatched to a rotted SC glasser for 250$ because I didn't trust my trailer to pick it up.

So, that's about all I have for you guys - I'll probably pick up a new camera today and get some more pics. I hope I can add to the awesome resources that this site has to offer. Without the knowledge contained on this site, I would never have even thought to restore an old tinnie!

Last edited:

Yeonik

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 16' Supersport "rolling rebuild"

Hey look here's some more pics!

Helm shot

I got so excited - these backrest cushions felt like brand spankin new. Vinyl was in GREAT shape, the padding felt awesome! I pulled it off and whoda thunk - the plywood is SOAKED. Gonna try to re-use it, may not fit into the final paint scheme tho.

See that big piece of stainless (I think it's stainless) behind the bow light? I'm going to assume there's a big hole in the aluminum there. I haven't pulled that yet, I'm kinda scared to!

Another aside - I haven't seen a whole lot of the 16' SS in this year range with foam. When I pulled my deck up I got real excited because there was foam everywhere - not pour in, just sheets of white foam. I started thinking that maybe someone had replaced it already. As I got closer to the bilge, however, it was totally water logged. Rats :(

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

It's going to be a great project Yeonik!

Aside from the extra hardware/patches on the bow piece, it looks like this boat has left alone for the most part...perfect candidate for a restoration. Great find!

Yeonik

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So what's people's thoughts on spar vs. epoxy on decks? Over in piperjoe's thread I made my thoughts known, and rather than clutter his thread up with everything I figured I'd get opinions here. I am leaning toward spar, but jas was saying that it can come out to almost as expensive as epoxy - how is this?

Assuming you use the same amount of each (Which may be where it all skews),

Epoxy from U.S. Comp is 170.2 oz for 71$ + 16 shipping (for a 1 gallon kit), + pumps if you need them. That works out to about 51 cents per ounce assuming my math is correct.

Spar varnish from Lowe's is roughly 45 $ a gallon(128 oz.), no shipping. That comes out to 35 cents per ounce.

Would I really use almost double the spar? Am I pricing it low because of a crappy brand, maybe I should be buying 60$ spar? As I said, I'm leaning toward spar, but if I find out that it's going to be (example) 250 bucks in spar vs. 300 bucks in epoxy, I'll go with epoxy!

I am planning on going with epoxy for the transom when I get around to it, I should point that out!

64osby

Admiral

I have not put in a new sole (floor) yet, but I'm looking at the spar when I do.

I have a trailered boat that is 40 years old with the original floor that is still solid. A new floor with good spar coverage should last a long time. Add the vinyl and keep the boat covered. I don't see why a spar sole couldn't last another 40 years. My .02.

To me spar is much easier than epoxy to work with. IE - Don't think I could screw it up and even if I did it's an easy fix.

Great score and have fun fixing her up.

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

"Rolling Resto" - I finally have a name for what I'm doing with my tinny. :watermelon:

Our experiences are very similar. Dry rotted tires, except I had a 200 mi. trip home but I made it home safely and slow. How did you like the feeling when you sat in the seat and all of a sudden your knees are eye level? LOL

Enough of re-living the past, time for the future. I prefer spar varnish over resin. I did the same costing you did. Helmsman spar is $40/gal at my local HD vs. close to $100 with shipping and pumps for resin and some add cloth which bumps the price even more. In either case the treated wood will outlive me. Even for the transom - Spar. I do trailer and cover.

That little SS round thingie on the bow - No idea except the hardware looks rusty. I would look the boat over looking for other rusty stuff the POs added over the years.

All in all, not a bad looking SS. Don't ignore the Ski Champ. Let her gloat when you hook her up for a day on the water when the SS is playing turtle waiting for paint. :D

Yeonik

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Oh yeah. You can tell where factory fasteners came off on this thing - the P.O. just dropped in any old fastener. Rust stains everywhere!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

This SS will make for a great project and a sweet "do all" boat for our area man:thumb:

Would I really use almost double the spar?

Short answer: yup.

Long answer: maybe not.

See, spar varnish doesn't lay down as thick as epoxy. So say you laid down 3 coats of epoxy and wanted the equivalent in varnish. Well, you'd likely need 5 or 6 coats. So yah, in that case, the cost is a wash.

Now, if you were to say leave the varnish at 3 coats you'd be ahead $wise but not have the protection that epoxy would bring.

Does that matter? Well that would no doubt be up to the boat builder. Like the fellas mentioned, most of our wood in our boats came with nothing or had a few coats of paint (transom) or glue trowled on before the vinyl was laid (deck) and no doubt lasted a very long time.

So, I kinda think that one is better than the other, but, does it really matter? Yur call:thumb:

Huron Angler

Admiral

Yeonik, this SS looks like a great project. Seems like all the pieces are there as far as trim, badges, etc.

Thanks for the shout out. My project turned out the way it did due to some great help on this site. I often wonder what I'd have ended up with had I tried to do something like this on my own.:)

I would probably go with epoxy on the deck if it were my project, since it offers a bit more insurance that you won't be doing this job again any time soon. It's certainly open to debate, and I could be convinced to try spar since the nautolex vinyl does such a great job keeping it protected.

Good luck to ya, look forward to seeing what you've got planned:)

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I would probably go with epoxy on the deck if it were my project, since it offers a bit more insurance that you won't be doing this job again any time soon. It's certainly open to debate, and I could be convinced to try spar since the nautolex vinyl does such a great job keeping it protected.

I agree with this.

Nice project, good luck with it.

Yeonik

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You guys sure aren't making that decision any easier! about 50-50 - Y'all are echoing my thoughts. Pretty sure I'm gonna go with spar tho.

Not much to update, I got some gluvit in the mail, and I've been scrubbing the inside of the hull.

My wife and I are quite out-doorsy... We enjoy being outside, fishing, picking berries, and mushroom hunting. Saturday I spent the day mushroom hunting (chanterelles - nummy!) and while I was driving to my spots I thought to myself "Yanno, I really shouldn't be doing this in my daily driver.. (Ford Taurus)". So sunday we decide to go out in the middle of nowhere with no cell reception and miles from any real roads to go berry picking. While on the two-track back to our spot, I hit a rock. Didn't think anything of it until we decided to leave and I found out the hard way that I didn't have any transmission fluid left :facepalm:. Trans pans aren't supposed to have holes?!?

Long story short, 1 JB weld patch and a bunch of cursing and she's sitting in the driveway. Still some stuff to go through, but at least it wasn't as expensive as it could have been! Why didn't I take the tow rig ('95 dodge ram) out in the boonies? Cuz the boat was still hooked up of course! :D

I'll be back later with some stuff, need to leave myself some notes so I don't get lost. Gonna start working on the boat this weekend at the latest.

Yeonik

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Gluvit is curing as I type, ordered some sheets of auraco 5/8's for the floor... will be in sometime this week. Hope to have the floor in (or close) after labor day weekend. Wife is going out of town for the weekend, so... in between the honey-do list I can work on the boat to heart's content!

I'll get some pictures sometime, it's really nothing interesting. Just another gluvit covered tinnie.

Question : I am looking at gray for a paint scheme, anyone use rusto's smoke gray? Does it get super hot in the sun? I wanted Light Machine Gray but I can't seem to source it locally. I'm kinda debating adding some white for a lighter gray. Smoke seems too dark.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I think you might be able to special order through Home Depot for that Light Gray. Check with one of the more experienced paint guys behind the counter.

Yeonik

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Argh, I hate picking paint colors. I keep going back and forth, depending on what day of the week it is. I've been really enjoying this resto other than picking paint colors.

(I've "committed" to like 8 different paint schemes so far :facepalm:)

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Argh, I hate picking paint colors. I keep going back and forth, depending on what day of the week it is. I've been really enjoying this resto other than picking paint colors.

(I've "committed" to like 8 different paint schemes so far :facepalm:)

That's a good example of the Starmada decision tree, Yoenik. We all go through the same thing. :facepalm:

Yeonik

Petty Officer 2nd Class

GA, that's good to know. I finally decided on a color - I even bought paint! More on that tomorrow after I paint some stuff =D

So, the admiral is away for labor day and I've got some updates.

First, that big hunk of stainless behind my bow nav light? I finally mustered the courage to remove it.

:confused:

That kinda looks like a floor eh? Just a test fit, gonna be a while before I get enough varnish on these. It felt really good to walk around on the floor in the boat again!

Redneck varnishing booth (tm). If you can't fix a problem with ratchet straps and tarps, it ain't worth fixin'!

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

moving right along on the deck!

I wonder if they had something previously installed (i.e. planar board pole, round-horn, etc.) on the bow...and used this to cover-up the holes?

jbcurt00

Staff member

Redneck varnishing booth (tm). If you can't fix a problem with ratchet straps and tarps, it ain't worth fixin'!
Unfortunately, I've identified a fatal flaw in your design: NO DUCT TAPE! :facepalm:

Excellent, the deck is going back in.....

Yeonik

Petty Officer 2nd Class

moving right along on the deck!

I wonder if they had something previously installed (i.e. planar board pole, round-horn, etc.) on the bow...and used this to cover-up the holes?

It's possible, if that's the case they lined up the screws in the stainless perfectly - there's no other holes.

Unfortunately, I've identified a fatal flaw in your design: NO DUCT TAPE! :facepalm:

Excellent, the deck is going back in.....

I'll work the duct tape in when this plan invariably fails. :D

Also, I dunno what's up with photobucket but I double checked those pics, they're sized right. Maybe it's just my computer showing em huge.

And I figured something out about a half hour ago. Yanno how we drill out the heads of rivets? Then we've got the shank still there? I've been trying to figure out an easy way to cut em - Angle grinder worked but it was LOUD. So I pulled out this lil wiz-dinger and zipped em off, flush, without a problem. Maybe I'm the only one that had a problem with these, but if I'm not here's an easy solution!

Last edited: