75 Starcraft 85hp Evinrude LOST KEY, what do I do?

OLDTIME75

Recruit
Hi everyone, I have a 1975 16 foot starcraft with a 85hp Evinrude outboard. I recently lost my key to the ignition switch on the control box. I don't have a lot of time or money and was wondering if you guys have any ideas to start the boat without a key? The control box has a black wire and a yellow wire coming out of it. Can I simply cut these two wires and wire on a new ignition switch or is the wiring more detailed inside the control box than I think? Or could I drill out the key entry and start it with a screwdriver? I am not real mechanically inclined with boats and would like to get the boat back on the water. Thanks for any help!

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Re: 75 Starcraft 85hp Evinrude LOST KEY, what do I do?

Try contacting an Evinrude/BRP dealer before hacking-up your control wiring.

Your ignition switch should have a number stamped on the front. They should be able to use this # to get you your replacement keys.

rheagler

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I had the same issue with a Mercury control box. My local dealer had a set of all the Mercury keys. We tried them all until we found the right one, then ordered that number.

OLDTIME75

Recruit

does it take long for them to order and get in a new key? I cant believe that they would still have keys for a 1975 boat? guess they can still make them up? thanks for the advice!

rheagler

Senior Chief Petty Officer

How long it takes is a question that can only be answered by the shop ordering. I've ordered parts that have taken just overnight, and others that took 6 weeks. They may even have it in stock, there probably aren't that many different key patterns.