1976 Holiday 18 Mercruiser 120

myboat@i

Seaman Apprentice
Now that is wat ya call gas consumption. I think I might have to try that polish on ares this winter

dozerII

Admiral
Now that is wat ya call gas consumption. I think I might have to try that polish on ares this winter

Hey Bro, good to see you stopping in, ya gas consumption could break the bank:lol: Polishing is good job for when have a big box of beer and your brain needs numbing:rolleyes:

Gibbles

Lieutenant Commander
^ the truth right there :lol:

Trick I learned from my father in law while painting the house, beer helps. :watermelon:

dozerII

Admiral
Good to see you on the site Chris, beer goes with almost everything:very_drunk:

Gibbles

Lieutenant Commander
That it does!

All to often I have been stuck on what to do, crack open my refreshing adult beverage, sit in my garage thinkin chair, or sit my self down in the cabin, relax with a few... and it will come to me :satellite:

I have learned to avoid measuring after a few... the top bar on the middle section of my top windshield reminds me often of that little fact :very_drunk:

dozerII

Admiral
That it does!

All to often I have been stuck on what to do, crack open my refreshing adult beverage, sit in my garage thinkin chair, or sit my self down in the cabin, relax with a few... and it will come to me :satellite:

I have learned to avoid measuring after a few... the top bar on the middle section of my top windshield reminds me often of that little fact :very_drunk:

Yes measuring devices have to be put away prior to barley induced thinking sessions, other than the old yard stick that can't possibly do any more than give you a rough idea on the thought.:laugh:

dpotter

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi Glen, I just read thru this entire thread. What an amazing job you did on this boat. Glad you did well through the heart issue. I think it was page 80 or so you had a photo of polishing with another SC in the reflection. That one has some dents in the rib on the side. How do you fix those? I have one with a small tear that i'd like to get fixed. I love the finish on yours, but I plan to go with a painted hull. Thank you for documenting all your work. It's absolutely amazing. I can't wait to get really going on mine.

Last edited:

dozerII

Admiral
Thanks for stopping by, and the compliments dpotter. I looked at the picture you referred to, and the dents are actually in the side of In The Red. You have to be careful trying to straighten dents in aluminum as it is easy to work harden it making it brittle and prone to cracking. Is the tear you ave on the surface or right through the hull? If it is surface just sand it to take off the high spots then fill with JB weld and sand it smooth before it gets real hard. If it goes right through the hull and is not to large straighten as best you can, rough up the inside with some coarse sand paper then put an aluminum patch on with JB weld, put a piece of masking tape on the outside to stop the JB from running out.

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant
Hi, Dozer. Heck of a nice job you did. Not into polished aluminum or chrome usually but you got me rethinking that!

Anyway, back about post 460 you build some new sides and a step for the walk-through windshield bow access.

I'm working on a '74 Holiday 18 myself (but outboard, and measures, oddly, 18'7" bow to stern) that is currently gutted. Some things I will do differently than you - I will be eliminating that step, for one.

How critical is that step to vertical support do you think? Since I will also plan on eliminating the OEM dash I thought I would just double up 3/4" ply as a backer across the span. I want to delete the step so I can keep sleeping bag use under what will be either a hard or soft cover. Since you've done several and done them well, and just read a gazillion pages of that coverage I thought I should ask here!
Thanks

dozerII

Admiral
Thanks for looking at the thread and the compliments. I'm thinking that the dash/step tie in to the deck is pretty important in adding strength to the hull. The way it is designed it limits the hull from twisting bow-stern diagonally. If you follow. Even the SS models do that with the fronts on the consuls. I believe the Mariner models have a different structure under the deck to help compensate for nothing joining the gunwales.

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant
...strength to the hull.....designed it limits the hull from twisting bow-stern diagonally. If you follow.....have a different structure under the deck to help compensate for nothing joining the gunwales.

Thank you for the reply. I do follow, and was part of my thinking before posting the question.
...different structure under the deck...
I have two MFGs and have worked on several. They have a raised forward under the bow at foot placement. I always assumed this was a structural element and not a design feature. So I think I am going to think on this and create/design some underfloor structure (interestingly, it is right in this area most all the loose rivets are) and perhaps carry some structure up to the gunwales to tie into an over-heavy dash. If the floor (plan to use 3/4" with nautiliex) is very well attached to the stringers and the ribs on the edges of the deck with the additional significant structural support to the bow deck...
I'll have to figure this out. I wonder what happens to the boats people gut and make a center console out of...

dozerII

Admiral
Hey Guys I'm feeling a little like a procrastinator here. Been so busy on other projects it's taken me till now to get In The Red ready to go for the season, at least I beat the first day of summer by a little:facepalm:

Wednesday afternoon we are off to the lake for a little RnR, so she had to get polished up and de-winterized.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
It's about time! :lol:

She looks the resto was finished yesterday, Glen. :thumb:

InMotion

Commander
Looking awesome glen!!! Enjoy the r and r. Hopefully the weather is good your way.

Jim

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I just came in off the water, hope you have a good time even if the weather isn't perfect. Getting out in a awesome looking SC boat is what it's all about. Thanks for the pics and don;t forget some water shots too!