1976 Holiday 18 Mercruiser 120

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
The Lady in the early morning mist. That would look super in one of the PB metal prints they offer.

dozerII

Admiral
Thanks everyone, it was an awesome morning, caught a few fish, had a great time.

dozerII

Admiral
The Holiday has been tucked into the corner of the hanger all winter waiting for some attention, I think I finally have everything done on the Rat Rod so time to get the Holly ready for summer.

I have a couple things that require attention, last summer she was mildly overheating, so I was pretty gentle with her, turns out the impellor is in pretty rough shape, I recall two times it got started and run dry for a few seconds. So it's going to get an OE replacement this time instead of aftermarket.

The other item that needs attention is the shine? This usually requires a day of polishing to get it back to looking great, but I have found another great product line that makes it so easy. I have used Sonus for all the boats since day one and really liked it, but it just doesn't cut it, when compared to the new product.
This is kind of ironic but last summer at one of the car shows I attended with the RR, I won a prize which consisted of a bottle of Ultra Luster waterless wash and a couple micro fiber towels not so good for the rat rod, but awesome on my Van, truck and the paint the Holly. Turns out they have a metal polish that just makes the aluminum gleam in short order. Once I'm done shining I will post some pictures.

P.S. there is no easier way to keep a painted surface looking awesome than the Waterless wash, you can spray it on everything, glass, plastic,. No white residue after buffing and it makes glass gleam and water run off.

Last edited:

Decker83

Commander
Looking forward to some shiny pics.. Put it in my favorites to check it out this summer..

dozerII

Admiral
First picture is how the alkaline water stained the aluminum.

Foam buffing disc I'm using on the variable speed polisher.

Results after twenty minutes and six feet done on the port side. This includes putting a coat of Ultra Luster waterless wash on as a protectant.

I'm very impressed with this product.:thumb:

oldhaven

Chief Petty Officer
That's impressive. Have you tried it on aluminum that has not been previously polished? Just wondering if that situation would need something more aggressive first. Also, how much of a 16 oz. bottle did you use for that six feet? Oh, and did you end up looking like this again?

dozerII

Admiral
That's impressive. Have you tried it on aluminum that has not been previously polished? Just wondering if that situation would need something more aggressive first. Also, how much of a 16 oz. bottle did you use for that six feet? Oh, and did you end up looking like this again?

LOL:laugh: Thanks oldhaven, no my hands were a little black but that's it. I barely used any at all, I'm pretty sure I won't use anymore than a 1/4 of the bottle to do it all.
I will try a test on some unpolished aluminum this weekend and let you know.
The waterless was is phenominal.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
lemme guess... another brilliant product only available North of the Border?? :lol:

... ^^^ Fake news! it's actually available on AMZ!

dozerII

Admiral

To answer your question OH I did a test on a strip of raw aluminum I had. The first picture the left side I just used polish and the buffer for a couple minutes.

The next picture is the right side I used some caswell rouge and buffing pad first for five minute then the polish.

Both sides for comparison.

After doing this for a few years now, even with a good polish it takes a lot to keep one of these boats shiney.

oldhaven

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks for the experiment Glen, I can see that it is going to be a lot of work but that some buffing prep makes a difference. I decided last year that I would not make my boat as shiny as you and Decker did. I'll be happy with the way the test looks on either side, and it will be easier to keep an acceptable shiny patina that way.

Ron

dozerII

Admiral
Good Day everyone, hope you all are staying safe. Haven't been on the site since it gave me some malware way back, glad to see that's fixed. Part of this thread is missing I see. In The Red moved on to a new owner, but I get to use her once in a while. maintaining the polish is way more work than I wanted. I have an 81 18SS I have to get the motor back in before I can go boating. Been busy building a second Rat Rod which takes up most of my time.