1973 Starcraft SuperSport 16ft. restoration questions

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
I bought this directly from the Shelter Logic factory in Connecticut. ..I recall the shipping being pretty steep...saved a ton driving and picking it up.

piperjoe

Chief Petty Officer
Thank you. I'll check that out, and look at what's out there.

Safe boating,

Joe

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Youch those shelters cost 1000's! For some tube steel and fabric? :eek:

classiccat

Youch those shelters cost 1000's! For some tube steel and fabric? :eek:

Yeah...definitely not something you'll find at HF prices...but then not bad (around $1k) if you consider the cost of building a permanent structure this size.

whatever you do, steer clear of the standard duty...the 9oz cover might last 2-3 years...only has a 1 year warranty.

The ultra heavy duty one with 21oz PVC "fabric" is about $1100; it has a 15 year warranty.

The heavy duty with a 14.5oz cover is about $950 and has a 10yr warranty.

piperjoe

Chief Petty Officer
Unfortunately the price is way more than I am willing to pay for a temporary shelter. I'll be building a permanent storage shed of around 200 sq. ft. or so with an extended shed roof for the boat. Makes more economic sense. Thanks for the lead though as it is all interesting.

Safe boating,

Joe

64osby

Admiral
For that kind of money you could buy one of the steel car port shelters.

piperjoe

Chief Petty Officer
...or a pole barn! LOTS of room in one of those...wait....I'm now beginning to understand the definition of "Money Pit".....

Safe boating,

Joe

piperjoe

Chief Petty Officer
...and the Admiral said,"...We'll just get a big tarp to put over it this year...". I am NOT going to argue with the Admiral! LOL

Safe boating,

Joe

piperjoe

Chief Petty Officer
So..I says to myself..."well, mate, it's a nice morning in Interlochen and the sun is shining. How about we go outside and do a bit of work on the boat?"

Got the camera out and took a few photos so I can put the parts back in the correct places. Brought up the drill and stand from the basement and proceeded to drill out some rivets to remove the side rubber and trim. Center punched the round rivet heads and then, while drilling out the third rivet, the drill battery gave out...!!?? I just charged that dang thing up three or four days ago. Have the battery on the charger and the tools are still by the boat...maybe after lunch...

Safe boating,

Joe

001.JPG 002.JPG 003.JPG 005.JPG 006.JPG 007.JPG 009.JPG

piperjoe

Chief Petty Officer
Went back outside after the drill battery was charged and continued removing the side bumpers and inner aluminum channels. After that I started drilling out the rivets to remove the top inside aluminum pieces. Here are some photos showing the rest of today's work.

Safe boating,

Joe 010.JPG 012.JPG 013.JPG 014.JPG 017.JPG 018.JPG 020.JPG 022.JPG 023.JPG 024.JPG 025.JPG 026.JPG

Attachments

• 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 10

piperjoe

Chief Petty Officer
So.............after working through a mini-stroke a couple of years ago (found myself on the ground while mowing the backyard and lost the use of my left arm and side. Recovered the use of my left side and can walk without a cane now and no speech problems. I am lucky! Still have a problem with Vertigo now and then and cannot fly my RC planes anymore.) Had given the boat to a neighbor who said they would finish the restoration. Bad decision. Got the boat back a couple of weeks ago and am in the process of restoring the StarCraft SS again. Had to spend the last week cleaning the cheap silicon material they spread over the inside rivets and slopped all over the inside bottom of the hull. Anyhow, I used a power washer, 50/50 mix of vinegar and water with cleaner added, a 3M rivet cleaning wheel a drill (3 of them! they wear out fast) on a drill, some Acetone, and a stainless steel wire brush to work on the mess. Today I'll spray a mist of phosphoric acid (1:3 water) over the inside of the hull below the deck line, and power wash the spray out of the boat in preparation for applying Gluvit to the rivets and inside seems. No leaks that I can detect as it is, however, I'm going to use the Gluvit prior to putting the new marine grade plywood decking on the boat as added "insurance". Also have the new marine grade plywood transom pieces assembled and coated with West Systems epoxy (2 coats all over) and will install the new transom after the Gluvit dries.

Safe boating,
Joe

Attachments

• 015.JPG
    015.JPG
    138.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    109.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 018.JPG
    018.JPG
    86 KB · Views: 15
  • 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 018.JPG
    018.JPG
    86 KB · Views: 15
  • 019.JPG
    019.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    99.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 014.JPG
    014.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 10
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    91 KB · Views: 13
  • 017.JPG
    017.JPG
    184.3 KB · Views: 15

jbcurt00

Staff member
Welcome back, I hear tin work is great physical & mental therapy.

piperjoe

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks for the welcome! And you are correct...I actually enjoyed getting back into the boat (slowly LOL) and working on it.
A question: when I reviewed my last post all the attached photos were displayed in a vertical column which takes up much posting space. How can I have the photos displayed horizontal?

Safe boating,
Joe

jbcurt00

Staff member
Dont put a hard return between them is how I did it previously. Been a while since I uploaded more then a pix or 2.

The new software does modify the screen layout automatically for mobile platforms, that may contribute to stacking in columns rather then rows

piperjoe

Chief Petty Officer
jbcurt00: within my post #391 I have the following photo attachment requests (1) 012.JPG is a double post - one image can be removed; (2) 018.JPG is a double post - one image can be removed; (3) 019.JPG can be removed. Thank you.
Safe boating,
Joe

piperjoe

Chief Petty Officer
This afternoon I applied the phosphoric acid (One Choice mixed 1:3 water) via one gallon plastic sprayer. This was sprayed onto the inside aluminum hull area in manageable sections and allowed to set for 3 min. before being power washed from the rivets, ribs and aluminum flooring. I then sprayed the port and starboard rear hull side panels using the same time frame. Once I finished going over everything I wanted to spray the first, I power sprayed the entire inside of the hull real good and then repeated the operation for a second time. The Admiral kept track of the segment timing via a timer on her phone. After that I went over the transom area front and back twice. Another good power wash down over the entire inside of the aluminum hull with clear water and I was very satisfied with the results. It's ready for the Gluvit and I'll pick that up tomorrow when we go into town.
Safe boating,
Joe

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    95.6 KB · Views: 20
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    107.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    98.1 KB · Views: 19

classiccat

Wow...quite a little dance with Lady Luck! I'm glad that you came out of it relatively unscathed; It's great to see you back working on the ol' rig!!

piperjoe

Chief Petty Officer
Thank you BWR1953! Lots of getting up "close and personal" with the old gal over the past week LOL.
Safe boating,
Joe

piperjoe

Chief Petty Officer
Hi classiccat! Great to see you are still on the forum and, yes, I was quite lucky. Not being able to fly RC model planes anymore is a bitter pill to swallow, however, the outcome could have been a lot worse!! Working on the boat will be good for me...just don't ask the Admiral what this old man looks like when I am standing in the boat while it's on the trailer!! I need to adjust those side bunks with the new rollers that's for sure...
Safe boating,
Joe