1973 Starcraft SuperSport 16ft. restoration questions

piperjoe

Chief Petty Officer
Hello to all! I'm the new guy on the "water" and have a couple (lots!) of questions. Bought a 16 ft. 1973 Starcraft SuperSport with a 85hp Johnson 50th Anniversary OB, sitting on the original trailer, last weekend. Had been sitting for about 5 years with a worn tarp cover. Needless to say my wife and I spent two days just cleaning the leaves and such out of the boat and hand washing everything. The hull is in great shape with only one small scratch/dent on the starboard bow that is easily fixed along with the normal paint chipping. Glass is all clear with no cracks and the aluminum trim is all there and in nice shape albeit with the usual scratches and such. Original lights and steering wheel are undamaged although the steering wheel is "faded". Took the boat to our local Johnson guru yesterday and he was quite pleased with what he saw and indicated he could bring the engine back to life. Needs new control cables.

I plan to take out all the flooring and replace with marine plywood. What is the best method to remove this plywood and are there patterns available to cut the replacement ply? Do I drill out each pop rivet to remove the ply and then add new pop rivets a bit off to one side of the original mounting holes? Plan to add marine type carpet to the floor and front inside bow area so need information on what to get and where. I'd like to add a pedestal seat option to the bow floor and behind the main seats for fishing (Lake Michigan/Traverse City area lakes) so would appreciate comments on the best way to do this. All in all, we would like to restore and repaint this boat to enjoy some pleasure rides and fishing with the grandchildren so I'm open to whatever leads and help I can obtain to see this project done right.

The other thing I've considered is getting a new trailer verses overhauling/painting the original. There's not much room between the bow and the back of my V6 Ranger when the trailer is hooked up. Not a real problem for me (former LNG tanker long haul driver) but it could be for my wife. What are your ideas?

In short, this is new to me as I've not owned a powered watercraft of this type before, though I did have a 10ft. Jon boat with a trolling motor some time back LOL. All comments, leads for parts and restoration assistance will be appreciated. Thanks for your patience in reading this and for your help.

Safe boating,

Joe

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1973 Starcraft SuperSport 16ft. restoration questions

Welcome to Iboats. Try to remove the floor covering by peeling to expose the original rivet heads. My 1972's floor covering peeled off without issue. By drilling out the rivet heads, hopefully you can salvage enough of the original plywood to use it as a pattern for new. My plywood was in such great shape that I was able to re-use most of it after fixing some leaks and replacing the flotation. You might consider adding a piece to the trailer tongue that will make it easier for your wife to back up. Perhaps a swing-away bolt-on attachment would be worthwhile. It helps for garage storage. - Grandad

piperjoe

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the welcome. The original floor covering is off; we are down to the deck plywood and it is rotted in some places. I've not drilled out pop rivets before, so....what do I use for this task, and what is the correct procedure (that's landlubber talk for "I don't know what I'm doing." LOL) for pop rivet removal? I have some photos on my wife's phone and will try to get them on the thread later today.

Safe boating,

Joe

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

Rivets are soft aluminum, so use about a 3/16" drill bit in an electric drill to remove just the rivet's top flange. Once all the rivets have been drilled, you should be able to lift the plywood with varying difficulty. Once you have a hole perhaps in a rotted section, you can get a good handhold for pulling and progress from there. There's lots of rebuilds that you can follow in this website.
The hitch mod I was suggesting can be purchased as an add-on for standard size trailer tongues. Here's one:
34" Coupler Kit, 3" x 3", 3,500lbs, Class II - Fulton HPB3530101 - iboats

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the Starmada, PJ. Throw up some pics so we can see what you're working with. Pics of the trailer too. A lot of times a PO has jacked with the trailer set-up and basically fouls it all up. Have fun getting her back on the water. :D

piperjoe

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks again, guys. The boat is at the engine shop right now but I can run over there and take some more pics of the trailer. I appreciate the drill size reference...that's the kind of information we can use (landlubber talk for "I certainly would have picked the wrong size drill bit and drilled all the way through each rivet.") as we proceed. I mentioned to my wife at lunchtime that I'd found this forum and she was excited at the idea of finding the help we need to put this boat back on the water. I must say I'm impressed by the quick response and helpful advise.

Safe boating,

Joe

jbcurt00

Staff member

This is how it starts. The hazing comes quickly, steel yourself :watermelon:

The rabble rousing usually starts when pix aren't provided in a timely fashion..... <<<<---I'm just saying.

Your Admiral will be less thrilled the more time you spend here & when the MBS* hits, look out.

*Multiple Boat Syndrome, the Starcraft strain is particularly virulent.

Say it w/ us: They're donor boats, honest.

piperjoe

Chief Petty Officer

Well, Admiral jb, my wife, Joyce, is very excited about our '73 Starcraft. And...she really likes wooden boats. We have lived up here in a water paradise area since 1997 and have not owned a boat until now. I just thought of something...our first car was a 1962 Chev Impala SS and our first boat is a Starcraft SS. Kinda cool! BTW: Joyce was born and raised in the Clarksburg/Lost Creek area and I lived in Clarksburg, too. We were married in 1969 at a little church in Romine's Mill just past the routs 57/20 split. Know the area well and used to fly RC planes in Clarksburg and Fairmont with some of your local RC modelers back a few years ago. That whole Morgantown to Clarksburg corridor has really "grown" since those early years of the '70's. I'd sure enjoy some of that West Virginia fishing again, too!

I know what you mean about the photos. My daughter has my Cannon and I have to use my wife's phone right now. I'll stand still for 40lashes with a wet bikini strap though if that will help LOL.

Safe boating,

Joe

jbcurt00

Staff member

Your wife is the Admiral I was referring to :facepalm:

Alternates:
Fun Governor
Warden
SWMBO (She who must be obeyed)

:watermelon: Take your pick

Old tin boats tend to attract old tin boats..... And when MBS strikes it's usually the Admiral that's not happy.

Nice to have her on-board a resto. Demo will be much easier w/ extra hands.

piperjoe

Chief Petty Officer

Right on the pair of extra hands.

Safe boating,

Joe

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

What boat...i don't see any boats :nerd:

Welcome to the Starmada...however please note that you're near the end of the 48hr grace period for membership dues :rant:

:lol:

piperjoe

Chief Petty Officer

Here are a few photos taken with my wife's phone of our 1973 Starcraft SuperSport. Enjoy.

1973 Starcraft SuperSport  1.jpg1973 Starcraft SuperSport  2.jpg1973 Starcraft SuperSport  3.jpg1973 Starcraft SuperSport  4.jpg1973 Starcraft SuperSport  5.jpg

As you can see, Joyce is pleased. The second photo shows the one major "dent". Also, the original seats are out of the boat and in my garage in these shots; they need washing but are otherwise in good shape with no rips or damage to the upholstery. I'll be replacing the bow upholstery and other upholstery items. Not too bad of a boat for $800.00.

Safe boating,

Joe

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

just in the knick-of-time :lol:

Sweet rig right there! Most if not all of the original components are intact...great find!!!

Looking forward to see what you and the Admiral do to her!

piperjoe

Chief Petty Officer

...And, two more photos. First shows the Johnson 85 hp 50th Anniversary on the transom. Second shows the general interior with seats removed.

1973 Starcraft SuperSport  6.jpg1973 Starcraft SuperSport  8.jpg

Safe boating,

Joe

Bill3434

Petty Officer 1st Class

There's a reason why it was only $800 so you can spend several thousand more on restoring it and getting the motor into shape. It's worth it, IMHO consdiering what a new boat cost.

GA_Boater

Piper - You picked up a good project from the looks of her. The dent is just dock rash do you don't have to be the one to give her the first ding, she came with one. :) How are the floors and transom?

piperjoe

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks guys! I feel the "Starcraft Enterprize" (kinda like that name for her) has real potential. As for the decking and transom: the decking has some holes and rot from way to many leaves and moisture over the years; all of it will definately be replaced by me. The engine guru said he thought the transom was good to go as there wasn't much "give" at all when he checked it out. Still, it has some soft rot from the upper corners down to the water outlets and I'm sure there must be some on the inside, too. Most likely I will pull the engine and fabricate a new transom, then I won't have that to worry about down the road. I enjoy woodworking so once I find out how to replace the transom properly we are good to go on that restoration step.

Safe boating,

Joe

Last edited:

GA_Boater

I don't know, Joe. We never have have to do transoms on Starcrafts. NOT. Plenty of examples and pics in the resto threads.

Yeah, if the upper corners have rot you can pretty much bet the lower part does too. Not a hard job at all.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Nice looking rig. Keeping the green?

:cool:

piperjoe

Chief Petty Officer

Thank GA_Boater, I'll look for and read those transom threads.

Safe boating,

Joe