Tin addiction 18' Starcraft Chieftain

InMotion

Commander
Just getting caught up here W.... nice work man!!!! She really turned out awesome... and a top speed of 48!! Whew that is moving it for a Starcraft or any other boat for that matter!!!!

Glad to here that you are going to keep the thread alive. Funny how after all the effort and time put in plus the documentation of the process, many of our threads just end up in buried deep in the annals of the site --- many not commented in for months or years. It would be cool to have some of the larger threads to be noted documented in a thread that is pinned to the top of SC forum for new comers and others to go through as a "primer" of sorts! Just my .02 Canuk cents!!! :)

All the best this winter.... every day is a day closer to getting back out on the water!

Jim

dozerII

Admiral
Nice looking Elk H2O, I bet you have already cooked up some back straps.:hungry:

bear_69cuda

Commander
H2Oman,

Been awhile since I checked out the Chief,

Wow.... Incredible....

You've done a masterful job on this project!

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Thanks for stopping by and the kind words Bear, you had to go back several pages to get to the good summer time splash stuff.

I put my boats in the front yard not only so I can see them every day I go out the door but so they get my security cam coverage.

y4mAWOiiqvPjlWbl0I1KZQ2MHlYyUNUA6lBKhelcu0v-zQ_XEBOKkjKK85HwKkFQymWTnIHj1Gn27zAVf3luvW5oa6YH98Zm4NJQqYLJCoA3ZuHygcttCp-iDArvH-AgE577aJL_Y2RsZ3BsUP4MgJvZI9dIfXZA0M3ot7thvUOsxZ790ex9LFmuaJ7sfNBQrRWpnhwniskZ_Y-wGpkNykXBQ

Last edited:

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
Watermann, are those canvas tarps? If so, how do you like them? I take it they last longer in UV exposure than the poly tarps.

Edit: could just be the photo.

Last edited:

Watermann

The tarps are the thick heavy duty poly, the canvas type I have on the SN is covered up with a heavy poly tarp, reason being the snow/ice freezes into the material and you can get it to slide off.

52FordF2

Petty Officer 1st Class
Water, Just seeing the Chief under tarp. Don't that make you just want to crawl under that tarp with a space heater and tinker with the Chief. :D
Looking good.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Hey H2O - Do you want to do an short thread for the Completed Boat Projects forum? We have to work on outnumbering the glassers! :D

Watermann

Yeah that sounds like a plan. I will be back home on Monday and figure it out. Away from home right now in Omaha for my daughters wedding.

GA_Boater

Congrats Water. When you get back send me a PM and I'll walk you through it. Dozer only took about an hour and ONLY four beers. :D

Watermann

You know a guy wouldn't think the admiral would appreciate such a gift, although mine was beyond happy about this one. :lol:

Those of you wanting into a good deal on such a thing for your craft search - [h=1]SeaLand 962 Portable Toilet Bonus Pack[/h] it was $99 with free shipping.

64osby

Admiral
Happy Admiral Happy life is what they say.

There was a discussion in the restoration forum last week about those. They wouldn't meet the current regulations in Michigan.

It would be interesting to know what the penalties would be for having one.

Weep'n Willy

Master Chief Petty Officer
64 - where was that discussion as portable toilets are legal in Michigan, discharge of waste into the waters of Michigan is illegal with any type system.

Watermann

Not sure why a self contained porta pot you take out and empty when off the water at home wouldn't meet any sort of regulations?

A short story...

One day the admiral had to be put off on shore in a secluded cove. After doing her business she came walking back with a herd of long horn cattle following close behind her. She got in the boat not even knowing they were there and we shoved off. I said to her so how was it with the crowd watching you and pointed back to shore. She about had a fit!

y4m8_w1Clgeyx1f3pt57hhKFnsONOZ_3pj-IwHEOKhVOdVdiYhqpzOPO28g3PrujSEfUAYrv_CCsEoQAgK9E4xVUI75XmOIx5N5ysPDkxcigkWumiAOsVemWyzOqLQIjBZpIag_UVFSY5ZPOfACqkhSlHr65oINji_AhMBcZYORb8c4KNtb-iF2fW-Pzv8mQ0kuulHbo0Ya--leIX95Gut4lA

Last edited:

Gibbles

Lieutenant Commander
Haha

Yeah... I can't get the wife to even use a bush or freshly dug hole, so your doing better than me :lol:

And here being lakes... I can't flush into the water.

64osby

Admiral
64 - where was that discussion as portable toilets are legal in Michigan, discharge of waste into the waters of Michigan is illegal with any type system.

Can't find the discussion but here is the link relating to michigan law.

http://www.miseagrant.umich.edu/downloads/cmp/11-406-Marine-Sanitation-and-Vessel-Sewage.pdf

The rules state must have one of these systems in place.

- An approved holding tank that will retain all sewage produced
on the watercraft for subsequent disposal at approved dockside or
onshore collection and treatment facilities.

- An incinerating device that will reduce all sewage produced on
the watercraft to ash. The ash must be disposed of onshore in a
manner that precludes pollution.

GA_Boater

I don't understand some of these laws. I do understand why the laws exist against polluting the water. But a Porta-Potty has a holding tank and no discharge to the water. A boater dumping a Porta-Potty over the side is as illegal as opening the discharge line from a built in holding tank, right?

Weep'n Willy

Master Chief Petty Officer
Ahhhh 64 I read the link you provided. The poster that you mentioned stating it was illegal erred in terminology. On "installed" (being the key word) they must be of approved type. Portable toilets or "porta-potties" are not considered installed toilets and are not subject to the MSD regulations. But they are subject to disposal regulations that prohibit the disposal of raw sewage within territorial waters (3 mile limit), the Great Lakes, or navigable rivers.

GA has it right, porta-pots have a holding tank with no discharge into the water.

GA_Boater

I may be wrong, but I think the regs are actually saying a P-P has to be secured, making it no longer "portable" and not subject to falling over and causing pollution when the "matter" makes it's way to the bilge for pumping overboard. I think Grandad posted some CA regs a while back and even though they said "portables" were not legal, the remaining what's required fit P-P's to a T - If they were secured and no longer portable. Don't forget I may be full of "it".

64osby

Admiral
Not Michigan specific but did find this.
Portable toilets or "porta-potties" are not considered installed toilets and are not subject to the MSD regulations. But they are subject to disposal regulations that prohibit the disposal of raw sewage within territorial waters (3 mile limit), the Great Lakes, or navigable rivers.

Part of the clean water act.

So that is good news.