1973 starcraft ss restore in progress

dozerII

Admiral
Good news on the bearings, and it sounds like you have a good plan to seal her up.

crankbait cowboy

Chief Petty Officer
having some issues with my computer freezing up when i come to this site. anybody else having issues or at my end? also posting picks freezes it. am befuddled did some research on this sight as to straightening the skeg , and got mixed reviews. some say no heat others use heat , some pound out with a backer bar, and some suggest clamp and doing slowely. not sure if any of you are interested but what i tried and worked well for me was the following. i had the gear case empty and all seals out , and heated just to hot to touch and then pounded pretty darn hard with a rubber mallet and a 4 x 4 wood backer. i did this about 4 times as concerned about getting to hot. patience and take your time and my skeg is now straight, and no cracks or breaks.

Weep'n Willy

Master Chief Petty Officer
You are not the only one with some freeze ups. In the website forum section there are some people also stating they are having problems. I have had it happen a couple times where it will freeze for a couple minutes then continue as normal but I was just figuring that was because of my satellite internet. Oh how I wish I had cable internet again but this is all that is available in the boonies.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Nothing here other than every now and then a few minutes of "working" on Windows 7 with Google Chrome.

crankbait cowboy

Chief Petty Officer
real befuddled here, my main computer lets me scroll down the page about 80% of the way then freezes and says page is not responding. of course it is the bottom where you need t get to post or post pics. am on a freinds computer now and all works well . of course all of my pics and such for the forum are on my other computer. what is so strange it only happens on that computer ( which would leave you tro believe it is the computer itself ) but it is only on the iboats website and only oncw you get into a forum , the main page works fine. all other websites run as normal. could it be in settings or something? probable not the right place to ask advice on such a matter , but you guys on here are some awfully smart son of a guns so thought what the heck.

64osby

Admiral
Clear your browser data. Download the free version of malwarebites. Run it and let it clean out all the junk.

I also run the free version of adblock and it blocks most of the ads and popups.

Watermann

What web browser are you using? I pretty much only use google chrome mainly because every hacker creep out there goes after anything Microsoft and it works great of course.

crankbait cowboy

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

thanks guys, google chrome works fine and will look into cleaning up cached items in explorer. like i said a bit of advice from the starmada and i am back in action using chrome. the pictures show how i cut off the broken skeg and cleaned it up. not sure if it will be fine like i have it, or if i will need to put a skeg guard on down the road. looks dfferent , but i did not really lose any protection to prop it may give. we will see later on when i get ready to get it wet.

Attachments

• photo213747.jpg
    photo213747.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 1
  • photo213748.jpg
    photo213748.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 1

Watermann

Good deal on being back in action CC. Hey that skeg is just fine, I cut the jagged edge off the Chief's MC skeg and at Bondo's advice just left it alone. The skeg really does nothing other than offer a tiny bit of protection for the prop. I sanded mine into a smooth shape, primed and painted it. Guess what nobody ever noticed it but you'll see in the pic it's missing half the skeg. The PO put a SS skeg guard on it but I hated the way it looked and when draining the LU the oil would run down inside it creating a huge mess.

Now if you're the kind of guy that loves to star at a trailer queen boat and your eye only focuses on the skeg then by all means repair it :lol: Now that you know about the skeg and it's demise your eye will go right to it in this pic.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Nice save on the Skeg crankbait! No point in spending a lot of time/cabbage fixing it up...just to bust it up again!

Besides...Agua's boat up there goes about 150 Mph :madgrin:

crankbait cowboy

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

been spending my time over on johnson outboard forum, getting advice on my outboard. real great group of guys over there also and have learned alot from them. i did get all the seals in my prop shaft housing, shift shaft, and new water pump installed. and thought i would share something i learned about the water tubes in exhaust housing. mine were smashed up a bit due to po putting lower unit on with tubes not lines up properly at some point i believe. thought i would post up what i did to straighten them in case anybody may run into the same issue. pic 1 before attempting to straighten pic 2 a 1/2 inch bolt and ratchet going slowly to spread the copper tube pic 3 a vise grip to bend the ends down roound on the bolt pic 4 after the repair. they are much better and will now slide down into grommets on pump housing i believe.

Attachments

• photo214342.jpg
    photo214342.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 1
  • photo214343.jpg
    photo214343.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 1
  • photo214344.jpg
    photo214344.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 1
  • photo214345.jpg
    photo214345.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 1

cj8mule

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Nice save on the water pipes CC. That guy really messed them up and looked like they were beyond repair :eek:

crankbait cowboy

Chief Petty Officer
yeah a bit undecided if it will work or not. anybody know how tight a seal is needed in them grommets on pump housing and how deep does the copper tub go. they are not perfect and wondering if they will seal ok, i have them pretty good for an inch or so but if they go deeper in housing going to have to do some more work. i cant believe it can be that tight a seal (copper tube in rubber grommet) and unless i am missing something should not be much pressure is there??? any body got any input i would sure appreciate it. thanks

dozerII

Admiral
Holy cow someone sure messed them up!!!. I would imagine there is a lot of tear down to replace them? What doe the guys over in the Johnny forum say about the seal and the pics?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Those water piper are a mess. Boobie may have the solution with the water tube extensions/o-rings. In his last post in the outer exhaust housing removal thread, CC. I think they could be a workable solution.

crankbait cowboy

Chief Petty Officer
thanks for chiming in fellas, keep the ideas coming , they are much apprecialted. GA i hear ya, but not much room to cut off old , maybe a small dremmel some kind of extension and a small cutting wheel. i will checkit out but pretty tight in there.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Looking the parts breakdown, it's gonna be a bear without removing the power head. :eek:

crankbait cowboy

Chief Petty Officer
yep, if i have to remove the housing to fix the tubes most deffinetly gonna have to go the distance and remove powerhead. hoping to just straighten the tubes up as best i can, and put her back together , but dont know if i need a real tight seal at the grommet. if so tear down, and extensions. if not i think they are good enough to go back together. would save a lot of work, but really on fence as to which way to go?