1973 starcraft ss restore in progress

crankbait cowboy

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

flipped! and not bad at all, 4 guys from work on lunch break ( no wobbly pops this time around ) some mattresses from hunting shack. we rolled her slowly and then used a bar thru the bow eye and one thru transom eyes so we could lift bar evenly on 4 corners, and then walked her onto trailer. next step is to set the trailer up correctly. she isn.t right , as i could only guess when i redid it ( bunks wrong angle and short i think and gotta move the bow support forward a bit as i got a foot hanging off the bunks in back)

Attachments

• photo209450.jpg
    photo209450.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 4
  • photo209451.jpg
    photo209451.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 4
  • photo209452.jpg
    photo209452.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 5
  • photo209453.jpg
    photo209453.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 5
  • photo209454.jpg
    photo209454.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 9

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Check you out! Now you're just showing off! Great idea for the lifting poles.

The paint job looks even better right-side-up & out in the daylight! Great job! :thumb:

Are the gunwale caps getting painted black as well?

crankbait cowboy

Chief Petty Officer
actually thinking top of gunwale and bow white ( not so hot in sun ) and a black splashwell. and considering vinyl on gunwales also (cannot decide, but got plenty else to do while i contemplate)

classiccat

actually thinking top of gunwale and bow white ( not so hot in sun ) and a black splashwell. and considering vinyl on gunwales also (cannot decide, but got plenty else to do while i contemplate)

That's using your head CB :nerd:

I'm likely doing the same ...whenever I get my project back into a hanger :D

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Nice work on the flip! It doesn't look like you can just move those bunks back enough and you really can't move the winch tower to bring the boat on more because of the size of the trailer. You sure could use a couple more feet of trailer to make the boat a little happier on it's chariot.

fetch

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Sure CC, ignore our advice and put the boat on the trailer your way. :eek: Good thing - You came up with a pretty slick way with the pipes. :thumb:

crankbait cowboy

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

nothing real news worthy here, but i got the trailer set up to fit boat. i strapped boat to garage roof and lifted it 1/2 inch off trailer so i could set the bunks and rollers up without any hassles. worked well and now most of the weight is taken by the bunks with just a little pressure on the rollers. i have the bunks inside of the bottom strakes as i think most of the weight will be in lower part of boat, and lighter off to the sides by the splash rails. am afraid i am going to put her away for winter nap soon as deer hunting around the corner and going to have a busy oct. at work. this winter i should be able to work on consoles and dash, along with cleaning up windshield, and revamping fill fitting on fuel tank. thanks for checking me out

Attachments

• photo209880.jpg
    photo209880.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 1
  • photo209881.jpg
    photo209881.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 1
  • photo209882.jpg
    photo209882.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 1
  • photo209883.jpg
    photo209883.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 1

dozerII

Admiral
Looks real good CC, I think you got it right. The way the majority of the comments in the Trailer forum leaned when I asked was, for the keel rollers to take the weight while the boat is coming on the trailer and keeping it centered, then as it comes into the bow stop the bunks pick up the weight to carry the load, thus dispersing the weight over the bunk surface area.

Tnstratofam

Commander
Trailer setup looks good. I did the same thing to my SS when I redid the transom. While I had the motor off I suspended it from my garage roof to replace my bunks, and make sure the trailer setup was correct. I asked a bunch of questions on the trailer forum to make sure mine was set up right. Your boat and trailer are looking good. Very nice work. Like I said before that pin stripping is nice.:thumb:

crankbait cowboy

Chief Petty Officer
spent a couple hours sun a.m. to see if the ole 115 johnson would fire up. i bought a year ago and did a compression test last spring and turned out alright. so sun. i checked spark with key and ended up replacing the inline fuse in wiring harness, and got spark. then i mixed up some gas and oil and ran fuel line to a jug with some more in a spray bottle. hooked up the h20 muff and sprayed a couple shots in carbs and walla she fired. i did this for a few times and it actually started sucking out of the jug, so i think the fuel pump is working well. down side is no h20 out of p hole so impellor is bad or stuck i am sure. runs well and i only ran for a couple of seconds as worried about water flow. i know now that it is worth pursuing. and this winter i will go thru lower unit and impellor and such and do a carb kit. pretty darn happy when she took off as i have no money into it. if you remember from previous posts i bought doner silverline and trailer, motor for 300 bucks and sold trailer for 350. figure about 400 more into it should have a good,engine. tried to attach a funny video here, doesnt show much and the admiral had her phone upside down.:joyous: file invalid, no video.:confused:

dozerII

Admiral
Great news on the Johnny CC. So with the $50. surplus from the trailer your water pump is free, bonus:cool:

crankbait cowboy

Chief Petty Officer
did another compression test after i had her running this fall and went from real pleased to a bit bummed. first 3 cylinders i got 125 but on the starboard lower it came up 105. so got some more digging to do there. head gasket, rings,ect... and ideas from you fellow starmada crew let me know where to begin.
next i drained lower unit and it was a bit milky. so proceeded to drop lower unit using procedure from manual i had got on fleebay. it went suprising well and just as manual explained. thinking prop seal, h20 pump kit and shift shaft seal. when i had it running it shifted smooth and no weird noises or vibrations, so assuming gears are all ok. am i wrong to assume this and should i tear it down totally. any advice or thoughts always appreciated. will post some not so interestig pics tomorrow. thanks for stopping by.

GA_Boater

First on the lower unit, do a pressure test and see which seals are leaking. It could be as simple as the gaskets on the drain or vent screws. If not, do all the seals or you end up chasing the cause for milky oil down the road. The gears and guts are probably fine.

On the low compression, did you run the motor much? Might be sticky rings or head gasket, hopefully nothing worse. Try the Seafoam deep treatment. And you will get a leg up on skeeters for next year. No guarantee, but that might free stuck rings.

How was the hunting, CC?

Last edited:

dozerII

Admiral
GA's got ya covered, pressure test and the Seafoam, wonderful stuff.

crankbait cowboy

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

thanks fellas , will do on the pressure test, and seafoam before i tear into her. hunting was a good time ga, whitetail a bit scarce here in northern mn. last few years but had 5 tags to fill ( bucks only ) and got real lucky opening morning . 45 minutes in 3 of us had a buck come by and filled 3 tags, so the buck truck got used. then did not see another buck for the next 8 days but enjoyed the woods. no wall hangers but good eating. so we got potatoe sausage. jerky and back straps for all for holidays.

Attachments

• photo212696.jpg
    photo212696.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 2
  • photo212697.jpg
    photo212697.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 1
  • photo212698.jpg
    photo212698.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 2
  • photo212699.jpg
    photo212699.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 2

classiccat

+1 on the pressure test & decarb!

I did a full tear-down on LU that this sludge flowed out of...and there wasn't any rust/corrosion to be found. :thumb:
75SS18020130325_MG_0650_zpsad9fb3ae.jpg

crankbait cowboy

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

real good classic. a few not so interesting pics of the lower unit. you can see the cupped impellor and the cup and plate are grooved also sowill go with the water pump kit. i labeled all my bolts and such to make it a bit easier when i get around to putting back together

Attachments

• photo212705.jpg
    photo212705.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 1
  • photo212706.jpg
    photo212706.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 7
  • photo212707.jpg
    photo212707.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 1

GA_Boater