1973 starcraft ss restore in progress

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Oh yeah, that's nice! Nothing like having that chore behind you, a huge milestone and the gateway to the rebuild.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
:thumb: Looks good. Glad to see you corrected the paint formula. 10/4/1 would be like spraying water. :eek: :D

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Really nice job on that dress....you tin seamstress you :p

crankbait cowboy

Chief Petty Officer
thanks guys, maybe a dumb question, but can any of you enlighten me a bit on taping for painting. i have the frog tape, and my questions are how long to let paint dry or cure before taping over it, and also how soon should i take the tape off after painting my 2nd color? any input or past experiences much appreciated.

Watermann

I pull off the tape before the paint dries otherwise you risk a rip into the paint job when pulling the dried paint.

When to tape on the fresh paint has some variables to it, I wait for the paint to cure and have all the solvent out (doesn't stink like drying paint any longer) it all depends on location. temp and such.

crankbait cowboy

Chief Petty Officer
thanks water, sounds like about what i was thinking. as far as pulling it off before paint dries, sounds like a god plan , but i gotta do 2 coats. would you go to the trouble of taping it twice or do you think i would be okay to paint a coat mon and a coat tues, then remove the tape?

Watermann

Are you painting an accent stripe over the white?

dozerII

Admiral
Paint looks real good CC. After my experience on the Holiday with two coats of color I would take the tape off between coats. I had to trim the paint edge down with a razor blade before I could put my accent pin stripping on.

crankbait cowboy

Chief Petty Officer
h20, i am painting the top 3 ribs black,( bottom in pic as i am turtled ) so would be taping along the bottom of that third rib and covering everything below that ( bottom third of side and bottom of boat) you can kind of see the color difference between top coat and primer in 1st pic above. trying to avoid taping twice ( for 2 coats ) wondering now if i could score along tape edge with a razor blade after second coat before removing , or am i better off biting bullet and taping twice. thanks for chiming in doz. all advice and suggestions well taken.

Watermann

You could do the razor deal but this is what I did on my SN. I put my frog tape on the line for the accent stripe, then taped the drop cloth onto the straight line. I shot the first coat covering the base coat. I cleaned my gun and waited for the first coat to set (checking the tackiness of the paint on the tape) I think it was about an hour and half later for my temp and then I shot the second coat. I cleaned the gun and then came back and pulled the tape. DONE.

crankbait cowboy

Chief Petty Officer
thanks for the suggestion h20. yeah if i flipped my boat 1st, looks to be easier to tape a drop cloth. what i am hearing is tape the line and then tape your drop cloth right over the frog tape on the same line ( so the frog tape is not visable at all and the paint actual never really touches it ) and try shoot the 2 coats in a couple of hrs. am i hearing ya correct?

crankbait cowboy

Chief Petty Officer
thanks h20, that is way i will try go, gonna give it a week to cure good before i tape er, as temps are a miserable 50ish here for the week and i got plenty on the honey do list. hoping that by this time next week i can be done with the hull painting and show her off to you all.

crankbait cowboy

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

well i went with watermans suggestions and am real happy with the results ( post #392 above ) i taped it as suggested sprayed a coat, waited 2 hrs and sprayed the second spent 15 minutes cleaning up and pealed of the cover and tape . real nice clean lines. a big thanks to h20!! here she be. gonna do some pinstripe and starcraft decals , get her flipped and on trailer ( waiting about a week to let cure good )and then set the trailer up as needed. thanks for stopping by. 5 photos attached

Attachments

• photo208932.jpg
    photo208932.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 3
  • photo208933.jpg
    photo208933.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 3
  • photo208934.JPG
    photo208934.JPG
    188.8 KB · Views: 3
  • photo208935.jpg
    photo208935.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 3
  • photo208936.jpg
    photo208936.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 3

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Top Notch paintjob Crankbait! Bold but refined; DIG IT! :thumb:

She's really coming together!

Watermann

Very nice! I'm glad everything worked out, painting is nerve racking and what is noticed most. I had a guy at the launch ask if he could touch the paint on my Chief, I said sure and he ran his fingers along the side asking me how I was able to powder coat the boat.

budski

Lieutenant Commander
Very nice CB can't wait to see it upright with pinstripe and decals.