1973 starcraft ss restore in progress

crankbait cowboy

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

next I taped off my inside and outside trim , and went with a product called kiwi-grip. it is a product designed for boats for non-skid areas. its a yogurt consistency and you brush it on thick and roll it with their special roller. pressure on roller determines how aggressive a texture you end up with, and being consistent is the key. I really like how it turned out , and followed the directions to a T, which I believe are very good and cover what is important. ( shake on commercial shaker/ put on 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick/ do small areas( 2 sq ft or so) roll same all the time , and peel tape while still wet, ) 1/8 is thick enough if covering a light primer ( if I had it to do again I would have went with a light primer, instead I had to go pretty thick to cover) finally got the hussy dressed!

Attachments

• photo277883.JPG
    photo277883.JPG
    133.9 KB · Views: 4
  • photo277884.JPG
    photo277884.JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 4
  • photo277885.JPG
    photo277885.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 4

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Sure is easier to undress these gals isn't it. :lol:

Looks good, I'd like to see a better pic when you have some good outside light. I really like the non-skid finish on gunnels, bow deck and stern area as you may have seen on my SS.

Decker83

Commander
That turned out really nice. Has a great look to it. I'm with waterman, would like to see it outside and up close..:D

crankbait cowboy

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

outside, but doesn't show much different, best up close from inside also attached (pic 4 )

Attachments

• photo277885.JPG
    photo277885.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 2
  • photo277931.JPG
    photo277931.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 3
  • photo277932.JPG
    photo277932.JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 3
  • photo277933.JPG
    photo277933.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 3

crankbait cowboy

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

probably best photoof texture. keep in mind that pressure of roller and thickness of kiwi grip , you can play with how aggressive a texture you want, cant tell by pic but this is not that aggressive and certainly not abrasive

Attachments

• photo277937.jpg
    photo277937.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 1

Watermann

Ok I see it's the roller that adds the texture to the viscous material when you roll it on. That's similar to the Rusto I used on my SeaNymph decking, that stuff had a roller for it too.

DirtyHarry83

Petty Officer 1st Class
Looks good, and I am sure it'll add nice grip for inclement weather.

It reminds me of a gel coat but a better grip. It will also make for easier time cleaning right?

crankbait cowboy

Chief Petty Officer
i am hoping it will be easy to keep clean, I guess time will tell, and I would think the way it feels, a scrub with soapy water would do the trick

crankbait cowboy

Chief Petty Officer
been away from it for awhile due to winter, and no heated shop, but my boy just moved back to town, and the home he bought has a heated shop, so trading some of my services for shop space. this weekend I put 1 last coat of epoxy on the deck, to try seal seams and such, my question to you all, is I am looking for suggestions to fill and level seams and countersunk rivets before vinyl goes down. I know its been talked about before, but if some of ya could chime in with what you used it would be much appreciated ( 5200 / 4200 / marine tex ? ) I am not sure which way to go, as I want something that wont let loose under the vinyl down the road. thanks in advance ( ps , I tried uploading a couple pics but get an unkown error message and no luck, any ideas?

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
I can't address the filling part because I haven't done that yet.

Counter-boring with an auger bit will give a nice flat surface for the rivet heads. :)

image_284225.jpg

crankbait cowboy

Chief Petty Officer
yep, bwr , I counter sunk as you did and its nice and flat as you state, just wondering what I would use to fill it with at this point before vinyl. tried to post a couple picks of what I am talking about , but get that unknown error???

Watermann

I didn't realize you already had the decking installed. I used my left over marine tex to fill in the counter sunk rivets and smoothed them over the top using a bondo spreader. MT adheres to AL and wood really well, I think you'd have to use a hammer to dislodge it. I would think that the 2 part liquid JB weld would do as well.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
yep, bwr , I counter sunk as you did and its nice and flat as you state, just wondering what I would use to fill it with at this point before vinyl. tried to post a couple picks of what I am talking about , but get that unknown error???
Oops, I haven't counter-bored my deck yet. It's not installed, but I will be doing that once I get it in the boat. The pic is generic from the 'net.

Sorry for any confusion.

crankbait cowboy

Chief Petty Officer
h20, marine tex and then sand smooth? cant understand why I can download pics t show what I am talking about. I have read how to do it, and it used to work for me, but no luck and have tried on 2 separate computers

jbcurt00

Staff member
cant understand why I can download pics t show what I am talking about. I have read how to do it, and it used to work for me, but no luck and have tried on 2 separate computers

Have you logged out since you came back CC?

I'll send you a PM.

If your avatar at the top right of a foeum page doesnt have a red circle w a number in it (my PM plus any other notifies like my quoting you) then although you ARE posting and surfing you're not logged on. Thanks upgrade glitch....

Click your avatar and choose log off (i know, how can you log off if you're not logged on, thanks vB upgrade X2)

Then log back in and see if you can post pix and reply to my PM.

Pix are all under 700KB?

Watermann

h20, marine tex and then sand smooth? cant understand why I can download pics t show what I am talking about. I have read how to do it, and it used to work for me, but no luck and have tried on 2 separate computers

If you use a spreader with the MT you can make it level to where you don't have to sand off your sealer on the ply.

crankbait cowboy

Chief Petty Officer
h20, by "spreader" do you mean the tool your using to apply or something you are adding to marine tex?

Last edited:

Watermann

Bondo spreader is what I was referring to but will add that using a heat gun helps to keep the stuff moving easy this time of year.