1973 starcraft ss restore in progress

crankbait cowboy

Chief Petty Officer
good article there h20, sheds some light, and eases my mind a bit. I don't need power for a year or so ( got plenty to do ) and this motor is 4 hrs away, but am real interested in it and guy is asking 1500.00 which seemed real reasonable to me, for a 1990 110 Johnson with tilt and trim and all controls, so I am torn on making the trip ( could be a 2 day deal as motor is still on boat and fella said come on down and we will take it for a spin. seem like a good deal to you all?

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Heck yeah that would be a good deal on that motor. A 4 hour drive is nothing, I'd not even call that a road trip. :lol:

Furrylittleotter

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sounds great being able to test it first but one problem: outboards should say "YAMAHA" on the cowl.

Neil

Watermann

For me there would be nothing worse than looking back at the beautiful wake of an awesome American built boat and see the advertisement for a Japanese motor company. :distracted:

crankbait cowboy

Chief Petty Officer
well. I never got around to running and checking out motor. once again the month of july flew by with other things in life taking priority over the project. feeling a bit guilty about my terribly slow progress here, but haven't given up. prep/paint splashwell and side rails, prep paint top rails, another coat epoxy on floor, and vinyl down is the goal by October, but time will tell. one weekend would go a long way ( just gotta find that weekend)

Watermann

Yeah CC but you have a project to look forward to, me well all I can think about is another one... :lol:

crankbait cowboy

Chief Petty Officer
so my top rails are far from perfect ( deep scratches ) and am in process of painting splashwell and top rail, wondering if anybody has any good ideas as to paint. I would like a non skid surface in white ideally. my splashwell I used rustoleum truck bed coating, and I like the look ( but about 2/3 of the spray bombs are shhhh as they clog right away. any ideas?

dozerII

Admiral
so my top rails are far from perfect ( deep scratches ) and am in process of painting splashwell and top rail, wondering if anybody has any good ideas as to paint. I would like a non skid surface in white ideally. my splashwell I used rustoleum truck bed coating, and I like the look ( but about 2/3 of the spray bombs are shhhh as they clog right away. any ideas?

CC have you tried putting the new cans in a bucket of hot tap water, remove and shake the can and return to the water till it warms up significantly. I have found this really helps all spray cans work considerably better.

Watermann

When rattle can nozzles clog on me I drop them in a container of solvent and after a while remove them and use compressed air to blow them out in reverse, don't try poking them. Then shake the living daylights out of the can before trying again, I know most of us don't shake the cans enough. You could've got some old stock too that had the non skid stuff congeal in the bottom.

On my SS gunnels I rolled on Epifanes poly beads mixed into the tractor paint with catalyst hardener. The stuff is super durable, so far there isn't even a scratch in it.

crankbait cowboy

Chief Petty Officer
thanks guys, I got a bit of a disaster going now, as I tried the spray bombs, and ended up very inconsistent and blotchy, so switched to the roll on rustoleum bed coating. turned out pretty good, but not perfect, so 2 coats must be better than 1, right? wrong, second coat my roller let go and , now I got a real mess on 1/2 of splashwell with other 1/2 looking pretty good. ( my strive for perfection got me in trouble, and should have left well enough alone after 1 rolled coat. thinking now to sand down last ugly partial rolled coat, and try again with a quality roller. cant really come up with an easy fix, as I fear just putting on another coat over my mix of 1 and 2 coats is going to show. ( as 2 coats show different than 1 now) hard to explain, but a new roller on second coat was of cheap variety, and let loose / flapped/ and did not roll evenly, hopefully will get it fixed and get ya a before and after pic.roller should be here wed. unless ya got a better idea in mean time?

Watermann

The way I fixed my issues with a roller was to sand down the sags best I could and get an HVLP gun. Painting looks easy but it takes some practice and this sort of thing happens to the best of us.

MD28

Petty Officer 1st Class
If it makes you feel any better I just sprayed way too much primer on my outboard and had runs all over it. I basicly wiped it all off with a paper towel. The runs I missed I scraped down with a razor. Hold the razor at a near 90 to the surface and scrape the run (drip) down to nothing. Then I had to resand he whole thing again. Tomorrow is another day. I'll second the hvlp gun Waterman recommended, however practice a bit on some scrap plywood or something.

crankbait cowboy

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

i hear ya md28, guess I gotta realize there is gonna be some set backs along the way, as I am out of my relm on a lot of this. my mistake was being to fussy after first coat , and then using a cheap foam roller. oops 1st 2 pics are after 1 coat of roll on rustoleum bed coating, and next to are trying to improve what I now know was plenty good with a cheap roller. gonna sand down the crap coat and try again.

Attachments

• photo276602.JPG
    photo276602.JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 4
  • photo276603.JPG
    photo276603.JPG
    117.5 KB · Views: 4
  • photo276604.JPG
    photo276604.JPG
    91.5 KB · Views: 4
  • photo276605.JPG
    photo276605.JPG
    91 KB · Views: 4

crankbait cowboy

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

a summation of my splashwell paint job. I wanted some texture , mainly do to scratches that were hard to clean up. so I went with rustoleum "truck bed coating"
1st sand as best I could with 220 grit
2nd a coat of rustoleum self etch primer, and light sand
3rd spray bombs ( I used 4 different ones and none worked after a 3rd of can or so) looked pretty good, but my strive for perfection hurt me here as I could not leave alone
4th sand
5th use the roll on ( very hard to get an even texture ( it is truck bed stuff after all )
6th a coat of black gloss over liner
if the cans worked , I would be very happy as I liked the subtle texture, the roll on is a much rougher, not as clean look, but an exceptable look none the less. in hindsight I wish I would have fought thru the spray bombs, but after a coat of black gloss , the rougher look is wearing on me.
pics after gloss are hard to tell , do to glare. thoughts from the mob?

Attachments

• photo276602.JPG
    photo276602.JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 3
  • photo276794.JPG
    photo276794.JPG
    103.2 KB · Views: 3
  • photo276795.JPG
    photo276795.JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 2

DirtyHarry83

Petty Officer 1st Class
I think it looks cool. I don't think I've seen anyone here do this before.
I think it came out nice from the photo's you're showing. Good work!

Watermann

If you're going to use bed liner on a boat the rusto stuff would be the best since it's just a non skid paint in a can. I used it on the step panels of my trailer and I'm not a fan of the rubberized type liner being used in a boat. I do like the look of non skid paint and I did a bunch on my SS and having it in the SW is just fine, I even thought about doing that too but didn't want to promote it as a place for people to stand. I have a fishing buddy who has no boundry to his trampling in my boats. :lol:

crankbait cowboy

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

this girl been topless way to long , so I got after it this weekend. I started by sanding with 220, then taping before a coat of rustoleum self primer. then taped and sprayed the inside trim with rustoleum professional gloss black/ and the outside trim with gloss white.

Attachments

• photo277880.JPG
    photo277880.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 2
  • photo277881.JPG
    photo277881.JPG
    91.8 KB · Views: 2
  • photo277882.JPG
    photo277882.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 2