1963 Jet Star rebuild

bgc

Ensign
I'm nearing completion of the Merc restoration so I brought the Jet Star out of storage.
The plan is to;
Replace the transome
Fix leaking reevets
Replace floor
Install new seats
Restore dash with original era AirGuide's
Repair steering wheel
Make mold for windshield and make new one
Repaint
Polish
and go fishing

Over the winter, plan is to get Brightware rechromed.

IMG_2610_zps22ee20de.jpg

Her engine, 63 Merc 500

IMG_2601_zps67b4a057.jpg

IMG_2607_zps219cc828.jpg

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Re: 1963 Jet Star rebuild

That old merc sure is pretty!

Its color matches the white rub-rail...destined to be together!! :cool:

what color(s) are you planning for the boat?

bgc

Ensign

I was going to keep it close to what it is. I have yet to see any pictures or adds with a blue Starcraft Jet Star. Seen red and white, anyone have a pic of an original blue Jet Star?

bgc

Ensign

Ok, Merc is running, has an hour on the meter, time to start on the boat.
Does anyone have a pic of a Jet or Jet Star with the floor removed?
The P.O. had removed the flooring and replaced it with 1/4"' plywood. The area under the seats was evevated several inches and supported by a length of 2x4 onto of the 1/4", centered over the keel.
I would think that a pressure point in the center of the keel would not be structurally sound. Several of the Starcraft restorations show a support, running the length of the keel, to hold the floor up.

lckstckn2smknbrls

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Not all of the starcraft boats had a flat floor I don't think the jet star did. Check out some of the other jet star restorations.

jbcurt00

Staff member

LS2SB is correct

InMotion's 1964 build now has a flat deck:
IMAG0837_zps0843778f.jpg

Central stringer going in:
IMAG0760_zps0f727fef.jpg

And probably always had a flat deck based on the interior paint only from the deck up:
IMAG0694.jpg

Notice the row of double holes along the centerline of the boat. That's where the stringer was attached...

Quite a few Jet/Jet Stars in here for reference:
Starcraft Rebuilds and Restorations, they're all here!

InMotion

Commander

JB --- good point on the paint... one thing to note is that the center support height for sure is not a linear increase --- it really starts off increasing in something like 1/4" increases per rib going towards the bow and then roughly around the end of support you see in the pic that JB posted increases much more steeply and a little more like a linear rate. Gotta measure it and play with it to get the floor nice and flat. Truth: I goofed the front.... I didn't realize until long after the floor was down that I should have cut out the floor around the most forward ribs to lower it down a bit. You can't really tell unless I were to point it out... but it is higher then the rest of the floor. Good news is there is great drainage if any water gets in!

PS --- Motor looks awesome!

J.

bgc

Ensign

J, is the stringer/z running the length of the keel?

bgc

Ensign

Just got the trailer back from sandblasting.

IMG_2652_zps892f3641.jpg

odyssey350kc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Trailer looks nice and solid. I have some pics of my boat when it used to be blue. I'll see if i can find them and upload them. Keep up the good work.

InMotion

Commander

J, is the stringer/z running the length of the keel?

Sorry for the delay... more or less... just in front of the knee braces at the stern to within a foot at the front... I took some shots in the Jet rebuild... just don't remember where exactly in the thread it is!! Sorry... Prolly around the #300 mark!

J.

bgc

Ensign

Trailer looks nice and solid. I have some pics of my boat when it used to be blue. I'll see if i can find them and upload them. Keep up the good work.
The flames are GREAT! There are some pics in blue on your thread. Do you know if that was an original shade?

bgc

Ensign

Sorry for the delay... more or less... just in front of the knee braces at the stern to within a foot at the front... I took some shots in the Jet rebuild... just don't remember where exactly in the thread it is!! Sorry... Prolly around the #300 mark!

J.

To me it would make sense to run the pressure from the load along the length of the keel and tops of the ribs.

My plan is to run 1.5" 6061T6 angle along the keel/stringer. This angle would have relief cuts and reinforcement to follow the curve of the hull. Another length would be run bow to stern, following the chine to take the center load of the flat floor. This would be reeveted with various triangulations to the keel angle. Thus distributing the forces, from the load, inside the hull running longitudinally with the hull.

Speaking of REEVETS, does anyone have the clip of the two robots discussing the REEVETS?

Got the primer coat shot.....this thing is getting heavier by the day!

IMG_2656_zpsbfc6ade8.jpg

odyssey350kc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The flames are GREAT! There are some pics in blue on your thread. Do you know if that was an original shade?

The blue on the bow and top of the boat in the first set of pics on my thread is the original color, its a really light blue.

InMotion

Commander

To me it would make sense to run the pressure from the load along the length of the keel and tops of the ribs.

My plan is to run 1.5" 6061T6 angle along the keel/stringer. This angle would have relief cuts and reinforcement to follow the curve of the hull. Another length would be run bow to stern, following the chine to take the center load of the flat floor. This would be reeveted with various triangulations to the keel angle. Thus distributing the forces, from the load, inside the hull running longitudinally with the hull.

[\QUOTE]

Holy smokes! That sounds well engineered! I just ran a Z channel using a piece of .030 (I think) aluminum that I cut and bent to the right height. I then sat it on top of the ribs, drilled and riveeeeeeted it in place. Keep in mind there is only about 18" or so between the center of the boat and the edge of the plywood. My floor doesn't move at all at this point. Foam also gives it some rigidity as well.

What you are doing sounds like it will be very solid. Look forward to seeing it!

J.

bgc

Ensign

I wonder if it would behove me to select a Rust-Oleum Blue? Would make touch up easy...

bgc

Ensign

Anyone else having issues with Rust Oleum Industrial Enamel not curing?

I stripped the cowling for the motor again, 5th time. I did some looking at painting options and found a suggestion of using Tractor and Implement paint. I did a bit of research this morning and shot a coat of IH White from Tractor Supply on the trailer.

IMG_2662_zps136cfa71.jpg

The product is Majic Tractor, Truck, and Implement. Its made by Majestic paints here in central Ohio and they use a soy based oil for the Alkyd Enamel. Tractor, Truck, & Implement - Majic Paints
I got a gallon of paint, reducer, and hardener for 70 bucks at Tractor Supply. I will update with how it works out.

64osby

Admiral

I used the TS rattle cans on the interior of my little tinny. The hardener would be a key ingredient , trailer's looking great.

bgc

Ensign

64osby, Would you recommend it for the interior?
I rattled the cowling for the motor today going to wait 48 before touching it.