1979 18' v5

hayko1971

Starmada Splash of the Year 2015
man Glen, someone's going to get a solid good boat when your done with it! With the amount of rivets you have to address you might as well say you did them all! My hats off to you sir for not taking any shortcuts and doing the best job that can be done!

dozerII

Admiral
man Glen, someone's going to get a solid good boat when your done with it! With the amount of rivets you have to address you might as well say you did them all! My hats off to you sir for not taking any shortcuts and doing the best job that can be done!

Thanks Rob, iI know what it's like to buy something that is supposed to be in really good shape only to find it needs a ton of work:eek: OH if I remember right that's how I got into Starcraft restoring :D, but I won't pass this problem along.

budski

Lieutenant Commander
Your getting there Glen, sometimes that happens, things look really good from the start till we look a little deeper, but it's good to find the problems before we go further, I've had to at times tear apart and redo and that's a real pain, really looking forward to this rebuild, personally I prefer the small bow space in the v5, wish my bow was shorter would give me more space in the rear, I've found that I rarely use the bow anyway, I think If I ever rebuild another 17 boat like mine I will shorten the bow section by at least 8-10 inches same as you are planning on the 18ss.

dozerII

Admiral
Thanks John I hear ya on the bow space. I think if there is room for a swivel fishing seat and 1 person that's good. But some of the younger families need the extra room up front for the kiddies

hayko1971

Starmada Splash of the Year 2015
i kept the bow space as was in my 16 SS, didn't really think much about it, the admiral likes to sit up there. I have found that with my trolling motor up front that I am now spending much of my time up there standing over it watching for rocks and fishing out of the front. I'd like a little more room lol.
It's funny how we each want something different out of our boats, and awesome that we can build them up just how we want.

64osby

Admiral
Still hard to believe that is a Utah boat.

Maybe you should import a few more of those beauties. That might slow you down and leave some of the good stock here.;)

Keep at it Glen.

Decker83

Commander
The work on the keel rivets looks great.. I bet it was a little loud sitting under the hull with the air hammer going..
I would do as the others have already stated, just keep looking and replacing the rivets..

dozerII

Admiral
i kept the bow space as was in my 16 SS, didn't really think much about it, the admiral likes to sit up there. I have found that with my trolling motor up front that I am now spending much of my time up there standing over it watching for rocks and fishing out of the front. I'd like a little more room lol.
It's funny how we each want something different out of our boats, and awesome that we can build them up just how we want.

Pretty cool how they are pretty much a blank canvas for us to design our own perfect layout.

Still hard to believe that is a Utah boat.

Maybe you should import a few more of those beauties. That might slow you down and leave some of the good stock here.;)

Keep at it Glen.

Thanks 64, I don't want anymore like this one, you can keep them down there.:rolleyes:

The work on the keel rivets looks great.. I bet it was a little loud sitting under the hull with the air hammer going..
I would do as the others have already stated, just keep looking and replacing the rivets..

Thanks Decker, yup just keep plodding along, Pretty much have to where earmuffs while under the hull.

dozerII

Admiral
Well guys after a ton of thought the V5 is going to go on hold for while longer. With a .31 cent premium on our dollar and the oil patch virtually shutting down, not only does it cost too much to redo a flipper, but there is no one to buy it. Kinda leaves me without a Starcraft project for the winter. But I do have an idea to follow another dream.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Sounds to me like you thought things through. So the Chief is moving to the front of the line?

dozerII

Admiral
Trust me I thought about moving the Chief to the front of the line, but almost everything we need to do a boat restore comes from the U.S. .
So I have decided to use some of the parts I have been collecting and build an Old School Rat Rod this winter.
And no the V5 won't become a flower bed

GoldDuster360

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Looking good, I would have kept the keel guard too, especially if you have a tilt trailer and use that function, allot of weight concentrated in that area when hoisting out of the water. Can't wait to see it finished.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
I see a rat rod near me once in a while...the guy barley fits in it, and the shifter is as high as his head!!!

34zm4aa.jpg

iyjssg.jpg

bob

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Trust me I thought about moving the Chief to the front of the line, but almost everything we need to do a boat restore comes from the U.S. .
So I have decided to use some of the parts I have been collecting and build an Old School Rat Rod this winter.
And no the V5 won't become a flower bed

Well you won't have to polish or paint or fix rust holes in the body, Glen. LOL

What frame and body are you gonna use?

dozerII

Admiral
Well you won't have to polish or paint or fix rust holes in the body, Glen. LOL

What frame and body are you gonna use?

You got that right GAB, no polishing for a while. I'm scratch building a frame with 2X4"tubing and I found a 29 Essex 2 Door rumble seat coupe with suicide doors and the P/O cut the rumble seat off for some reason. Small block Chevy and the rest will be what ever is available cheap. Whole idea is to be under $3000. on the road.
If I call it a Starcraft can a start a thread LOL

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
So you found the rarest of all Starcrafts. A 1929 Essex aft cockpit model with a the cockpit missing. Yeah - That's the ticket! :D