4 cyl I/O to a 6 cyl in a Holiday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 4 cyl I/O to a 6 cyl in a Holiday

wtbarrong, thanks for the link. Yea torque is good. I wonder if a two speed powerglide would fit behind the 6. Just thinking.

greg crosby

Seaman Apprentice

Hey guys as an owner of 1988 221 islander with the dreaded 3.7 470? I am keeping my eye out for a donor with the chevy 6. Is there a particular year that's better? I don't to go fast and the 22ft is MUCH better balanced. anyone know the weight difference between the 3.7 4cyle and the chevy 6?? Thanks this is a great site

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

wtbarrong, thanks for the link. Yea torque is good. I wonder if a two speed powerglide would fit behind the 6. Just thinking.

Heck yeah! Think of the advantages, no more coupler, gimbal bearing or alignment. The only downside is the doghouse will block the cabin door but the edge to that is plenty of cup holders at the ready for the Captain. :lol:

anyone know the weight difference between the 3.7 4cyle and the chevy 6?? Thanks this is a great site

Pretty much a wash weight wise. The best years are from the years GM made 'em. :) The Stovebolt Six came out in 1929 and by the time IO's came around the bugs were worked out.

grzzzz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi Guys..... Got weathered out this weekend. NM is typically very windy in the spring months and the small lakes here get rough FAST!. Plan on a three day trip this weekend and I will try to get a video. Addressing a couple issues I read above.. Yes space is precious. The 4 cyl house had about 5" of space in front. The 6cyl was about 6-7" longer than the 4cyl. I took the house from the 6 and cheated it to 1" from the motor so I only lost about 2" in the front AND the 6 house was almost 8" narrower side to side so I picked up 4" on each side which is FAR more valuable when on the stern landing fish. So , it actually now seems roomier. The 6 house has to large openings on the sides where the sets were. I am just going to put expanded metal over them to increase ventilation and not close it in. The engine is very smooth and far less noisy, without a cover, than any outboard I road in front of.

Bwana, I was born and raised in Mt Clemens, minutes from Lake St. Clair. My family still lives around there. We'll have to get together next time I come home and share some tails.

Grzzzz

barato2

Commander

yup, i can relate to that wind issue...... you should see EB on a bad day. and this weekend was pretty bad, not just windy but coooold. we saw 26F at our place in the mountains, and i bet Los alamos was similar.

interesting on your motor conversion. now you have me regretting not going with that I6 diesel on the Starchief.

Marvin Barski

Recruit
Grzzzz, do you still have this boat? Or any more pictures you can share? I want to do the swap on an old four winns deck boat i have and im curious about how you did the front motor mount. From what i can see, the mount is the same for the 4 cyl and 6 cyl, so i assume its moved ~6 inches forwards. I was trying to figure out if i need to add a stringer, if there is enough in front of the current mount, or if i can fabricate a plate to bolt the mount to. did you end up running into any issues? let us know how much mph you gained and what prop you started with/ended up with! I love seeing that someone else has completed this.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Closed

Grz hasnt been on iboats in over 3yrs. Not likely to get or reply to your questions, hence the 90day inactive rule.

Start a topic about your project Marvin.

Status
Not open for further replies.