VHF radio Antenna choice and location

CraigBarnard

Petty Officer 1st Class

I recently purchased a VHF marine radio at the boat show over the winter.

Where would you suggest I mount a VHF antenna on this boat?
What model antenna would you recommend?

barato2

Commander
Re: VHF radio Antenna choice and location

the antenna makes far more of a difference to your range than the radio so get a good one. the higher the antenna gain, the more directional your signal is, so stay with about 6dB max unless you're going way offshore.

for a 6dB gain antenna, your range is about 1.5x the # of feet above water level. the obvious choice for any cabin boat is on top of cabin to maximize range. this also keeps it out of the way of any bimini you might add over the cockpit area and if you have a fish on. just do a good job sealing the hole so you don't get cabin leaks. if you have a bimini, you could also mount a 3' stainless whip up there.

Shakespeare seems to be the biggest antenna mfgr. they have at least 3 quality grades; the Galaxy seris used to be their high end til they recently brought out some even more high zoot. i went with an 8', 6dB gain Galaxy unit for the main VHF based on feedback i've gotten from other boaters in the area i fish who genarally like those. i think it cost me about $130. for the backup VHF, i'll use 3' stainless whip on the bimini

CraigBarnard

Petty Officer 1st Class

It looks to me like the PO of this boat had an antenna installed just forward of the drivers seat.
Since there is already a hole there I was thinking of re-using it. However I was concerned the antenna may be to close to me.
Is that a concern?

Thanks for the rest of that info.

barato2

Commander

no, that won't cause a problem, either with interference (unless you have more metal in you than we realize) or with health effects. VHFs only put out max of 25W on high, and most of the time, you'll be on the 1 watt setting. that sounds like good height and why not re-use hole.