18' 1969 Offshore V restoration

Weep'n Willy

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 18' 1969 Offshore V restoration

Nice looking work on the boat. DMV's can be a frustrating experience and it sounds like you have had more than your share of grief. I was concerned when I went to get the paperwork done on the Cheif I bought last July. It had been 6+ months since purchase when I deemed I should get the paperwork done. Previous owner said he had no title as he got it out of an impound where it had sat for years. He did have the registration. When I went to Sec of State armed with the trailer weight slip and previous registration the gal said there was a title on file and that I needed to contact the prior owner and have him apply for duplicate title/transfer. Thankfully he was willing to go with me and it went off without a hitch, and I didn't have to pay the penalty for late registration. Sometimes it helps just to get the right person.

ctswf

Chief Petty Officer

yes it really makes all the difference.

by the way, I registered a car at this same horrible DMV office last year. one month later they sent a title, and also a title to some other random car in my name. I called, wrote emails, no response. I went to the DMV in person, waited an hour in line spoke with a manager of some sort who took the title and assured me it will be fixed.

....what did they do with it? tossed it in a mail box and it shows up at my door step a few days later.

At that point I found and contacted the fraud department.
They researched it and say someone messed up in the office, no fraud, your all set blah blah. "woops looks like we gave the other guy invalid plates".

A mess... im still waiting for that one to bite me at some random time in the future.

ctswf

Chief Petty Officer

Question for those with LED strip lighting,
Do u mount it under the gunwale pointing straight down, or is it worth fastening something with a slight angle to shed more light toward the center of the floor?

jbcurt00

Staff member

Congrats on trailer & boat reg & pending title :)

ctswf

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks jbcurt!

Question for those with LED strip lighting,
Do u mount it under the gunwale pointing straight down, or is it worth fastening something with a slight angle to shed more light toward the center of the floor?
Oh yeah! 16ft on each side straight down shed a ton of light but dont hurt he eyes!

ctswf

Chief Petty Officer

Double posting here, but need an answer quickly...I just mounted my 70hp to the transom with all nuts on the inside, now I just read to put all on the outside so you don't have to remove the bolts when adjusting the motor height, I also remember reading they should be alternated... nuts outside on top, inside on the bottom... or something like that.

Is there anything wrong with all nuts on the inside? 4200 Caulk drying right now, can be changed if I do it now.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You can keep your nuts anywhere you want, CT. ;)

Are any of the bolts in slotted mount holes? Inside nuts for those. From a looks standpoint, I like all the nuts inside because it looks cleaner. Also I don't think you plan on moving the motor up or down after finding the sweet spot.

ctswf

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks, hey also, just now notice the stainless bolts i used are highly magnetic, the old ones are not...is this bad on a tin boat?

ctswf

Chief Petty Officer

My cell phones internet is slow right now trying to research this before my caulk dries and my nuts get stuck...wait a minute...

So lower grades of SS rust quicker but am i going to corrode my hull with a poor grade SS bolt?l

barato2

Commander

no, i wouldn't worry about it. you're conflating two different issues: 1. how fast does that grade of stainless corrode? 2. how far above aluminum in the "galvanic table" is the particular grade of SS? IIRC, the magnetic grade of SS actually is closer to AL in the table so it should actually cause LESS galvanic corrosion on the AL altho your SS bolts might discolor.

ctswf

Chief Petty Officer

First splash planned for this weekend, will be fighting the memorial day boat ramp mobs.
There's still a lot more to do but it's ready to test.

More photos:
-grey Interlux interdeck non skid floor paint. 2 coats (used 1.5 quarts total @ $30 per quart)
Can be painted directly over epoxy once the blush is removed, no primer needed.

-modded splashwell from 36" down to to 26"
On top, the splashwell measured 36" front to back, 26" left me about 21" of clearance for the motor.
I dont have any good pictures of the splashwell process so I made a diagram of what I did, (the drawing is not proportionally accurate)

With this style splashwell, you can't just cut the back off, because it wont hit the transom correctly.
The way I did it, one new piece of aluminum is needed, I made mine out of 3/4" epoxied plywood and trimmed with aluminum angle. Looks good, no regrets.

-Somehow the window is a decent fit from my 16' winner marauder. Modded the consoles to fit the window, the width had to be cut down, but at least fatter people can walk through the windshield now!

-bought 2 rolls of 16.4 ft white waterproof LED strip lighting on Amazon for about $20 or $30 each. I now see it looks like other company's have the same or similar for as low as $5 ?!!? I dont even remember which one I bought but I love em...hope they actually last the beating of boat use

inside2_zps7575633d.jpg

inside1_zpsbf0b425a.jpg

splash_zpsdc12ce4f.jpg

zsplash0_zps21e0363b.jpg

splashwefll_zps8029406f.jpg

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Your LEDs are awesome and your splashwell mod is awesome!:thumb:

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

Looks great man! you flew through this resto!!!

We started at the same time...you'll be splashing your boat and I'll be splashing my outboard.

Good luck at the ramp this w/e! get lots of video footage...the numpties at the ramp have high entertainment value!!!!!

ctswf

Chief Petty Officer

Thank's guys!
I do actually need to pull a few all nighters this week to get it done, should work out.
I also need to fix the trailer lights and add a few things they require for the safety/VIN inspection friday morning before the temp trailer reg expires...either way the trailers towing my boat this weekend

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Nice progress, CT. Ten inches off the splashwell doesn't seem like much, but it makes a world of difference. An 18' boat with a 3' S/W means 1/6th of the boat is splashwell. Good mod! :D

Memorial Day weekend splash - You have more guts than I do. :)

Last edited:

ctswf

Chief Petty Officer

Agreed that 10" was worth it!

I really wanted to get to a solid 24" or smaller rather than 26" but this leaves a good amount of room for most motors.
If you notice too, the front "shelf" on the splashwell was 6" wide. I cut that down the middle, and overlapped the two pieces, cleaned up with trim. Its now 3" every little bit helps in getting that size down!

I've had this used 1982 70hp evinrude for about 8 years now. I've really only changed spark plugs, spark wires, and lower unit oil. Runs great but I feel like i'm headed toward trouble one day.

What else should I do to it? I'm going to pickup a new screen for the fuel pump this week, thats never been done.
Should I learn to clean the carbs and do that based on the amount of years that have passed?

BonairII

Commander

Maybe I missed it....but where did you get those LEDs? Cost?

classiccat

I've had this used 1982 70hp evinrude for about 8 years now. I've really only changed spark plugs, spark wires, and lower unit oil. Runs great but I feel like i'm headed toward trouble one day.

get yourself a factory service manual (fleabay search: 1982 OMC Johnson/Evinrude Service Manual- 2hp thru V6 models).

that's one of the years that OMC combined the product line into 1 manual...it's still really good; i have the '83 combined manual for my 35Hp...priceless.

ctswf

Chief Petty Officer

Its about time I buy that manual and start treating my motor better.

Maybe I missed it....but where did you get those LEDs? Cost?

Well... now that I looked again, they are only "weather proof" not sure if they will last.

Hitlights Weatherproof Cool White Flexible Ribbon LED Strip Light, 300 LEDs, 5 Meters (16.4 Feet) Spool, 12VDC Input (Adapter not included)

$18.99

Low power consumption , Super-bright but running with low temperature
The waterproof level is IP65
Every 3-LEDS cuttable without damaging the rest strips, according to your requirement
Self-adhesive back with Adhesive tape for secure and easy application
LED Type: High Quality 3528 SMD LED, high intensity and reliability

classiccat

Its about time I buy that manual and start treating my motor better.

while you're in there, search
"STARCRAFT Boats 1969 Vintage ORIGINAL Print Ad Offshore Fishing V-Hull Garage"

:cool:

dude in the back is thinking, "I wish this splashwell was 10" shorter"