• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

18' 1969 Offshore V restoration

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 18' 1969 Offshore V restoration

So stupid, CT. A title is better proof of ownership than registration, which expires. A title never expires. Plus you can have a titled boat that was never registered. I wish states would standardize boat titles/registration. Good luck.

I wonder if this is only good for in-state transfers? http://www.ct.gov/dmv/LIB/dmv/20/29/B-203.PDF
    Sent using a tin can and a piece of string. A technological breakthrough. The tin can is a 1966 Starcraft Nassau powered by a 1966 Merc 500.

Comment

Right, that's the part that says A letter of explanation if the boat was never registered But what exactly does that mean? I can write my own letter with some excuse and get it Notarized, saying my grandfather had it unregistered or something since 1969? Or the prev owner writes a letter? Also you get different answers from different people so theres no way to know who will accept what. F**K! so frustrating.
      16' 1972 winner marauder (demolished)
      18' 1969 Starcraft Offshore V restore Complete

Comment

...but i got new LED light strips in the mail today, woooooo!

Comment

I think you are caught in the lack of knowledge and misinterpretation of the state laws by state employees.

At least you got LEDs.
          Sent using a tin can and a piece of string. A technological breakthrough. The tin can is a 1966 Starcraft Nassau powered by a 1966 Merc 500.

Comment

I've had similar 'problems' w/ individuals at the DMV office. I've found that 'most' are really only trying to understand the rules as it isn't a regular occurrence & w/ 52 different states & regs, it seems totally random.

I've taken a pile of paperwork (all that I was told to bring) and been turned away from by the clerk that helped me & told to bring most of that & 1 additional piece of paperwork (once 2 additional pieces). I returned the following day w/ only the paperwork I'd taken the day before & left w/ WV reg for boat, title for boat & trailer to be mailed in 10-14 business days, and a current plate for the trailer, only difference was the clerk that waited on me.

Ask around, see if 1 local DMV is generally more or less helpful. I've been to 2 rural offices, and both local to me DMV's & they've all been mostly helpful.

WV isn't the most forward thinking state, but may be easier then CT....

BTW, I've seen a few references to using Maine to register boats & trailers online. W/out paying exorbitant fees to a title processor.

I've used Wisconsin online to register several boats w/out title or registration. Wisconsin only does up to 16ft boats, so your 18ft would require a visual inspection by a DNR/DMV/State Trooper/Sheriff to complete the required form.
            60 Glastron FireFlite 63 SC Jet:Bedliner SURVIVOR Fit 2B Paddled 57 Duracraft
            Money spent @Boat Restoration should be measured in Smiles & Pride
            Majic 3/2004~12/2011

Comment

maybe a last resort would be to "sell it" to a member in another state that would accept a title, have it registered in that state (and pay the fees & taxes), then "buy" it back? ...of course for that to work, you'd need a title that's in your name...so back to square-1
              aka BlueFin16
              1975 StarCraft SuperSport and 70Hp Evinrude Restoration Thread

Comment

Took my same paperwork to a different dmv location, they accepted it no problem. I'm all set!
                ...but a 3 inch strip of my 16 foot LED lights is dead AHHHHHH, eh I dont care about that part

Comment

ok not to harp on this but I have to tell at least these 2 things I was told by the bad DMV.

"this hull from MA is numbered starting with MS, something is wrong with your paperwork. CT hulls start with CT, so MA hulls should start with MA"
                  sent home, looked up online, clerk was wrong, MA hulls start with MS.
                  go back, two more hours in line.

-new person
                  "pffff, I cant take this bill of sale from CT?!? you need a bill of sale from MA"
                  but the CT website says to use this, and it doesn't have a "purchase location" on it, its just a generic bill of sale form, MA literally does not have one, they just advise to write xyz, sign and date. That is what we have in font of us as we speak

It actually gets more ridiculous after that...

Comment

So you have a legal Offshore V. And dead LEDs. I'll take the live tinny over the dead LEDs any day.

I don't want to start sumpin', but how about the trailer?

Comment

• Re: 18' 1969 Offshore V restoration

hah, weeeell about that...
                      Same deal, it's all legit and I have the paper work for it. The first person who denied me on the boat passed the trailer through no problem.

I should be ok, except that CT requires a VIN inspection when the trailer was registered out of state. So I have a 10 day pass for a VIN inspection, then back to the DMV yet again after that to complete the process.

Well of course, there is no VIN that I can find, infact no trailers I have ever owned have physical VINs(no, none of them are stolen)
                      I did a trailer inspection about 6 years ago there, it was just terrible, guy was such a dick much like DMV clerk#2. I mean really the only time I was treated as ****ty as cleark#2 somewhere was that guy who inspected my trailer years ago at that same facility.

Anyway I'll give it one try and im out, I will be rebuilding my old trailer if need be.

Comment

Nice looking work on the boat. DMV's can be a frustrating experience and it sounds like you have had more than your share of grief. I was concerned when I went to get the paperwork done on the Cheif I bought last July. It had been 6+ months since purchase when I deemed I should get the paperwork done. Previous owner said he had no title as he got it out of an impound where it had sat for years. He did have the registration. When I went to Sec of State armed with the trailer weight slip and previous registration the gal said there was a title on file and that I needed to contact the prior owner and have him apply for duplicate title/transfer. Thankfully he was willing to go with me and it went off without a hitch, and I didn't have to pay the penalty for late registration. Sometimes it helps just to get the right person.
                        sigpic My Chieftain Project 1972 restoration

Comment

yes it really makes all the difference.

by the way, I registered a car at this same horrible DMV office last year. one month later they sent a title, and also a title to some other random car in my name. I called, wrote emails, no response. I went to the DMV in person, waited an hour in line spoke with a manager of some sort who took the title and assured me it will be fixed.

....what did they do with it? tossed it in a mail box and it shows up at my door step a few days later.

At that point I found and contacted the fraud department.
                          They researched it and say someone messed up in the office, no fraud, your all set blah blah. "woops looks like we gave the other guy invalid plates".

A mess... im still waiting for that one to bite me at some random time in the future.

Comment

Question for those with LED strip lighting,
                            Do u mount it under the gunwale pointing straight down, or is it worth fastening something with a slight angle to shed more light toward the center of the floor?

Comment

Congrats on trailer & boat reg & pending title
                              60 Glastron FireFlite 63 SC Jet:Bedliner SURVIVOR Fit 2B Paddled 57 Duracraft
                              Money spent @Boat Restoration should be measured in Smiles & Pride
                              Majic 3/2004~12/2011

Comment

Thanks jbcurt!

Originally posted by ctswf View Post
                                Question for those with LED strip lighting,
                                Do u mount it under the gunwale pointing straight down, or is it worth fastening something with a slight angle to shed more light toward the center of the floor?
                                Oh yeah! 16ft on each side straight down shed a ton of light but dont hurt he eyes!

Comment

Working...
                                X