You Guys Inspired Me!!!!

cpdchap

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok, I have a 16' Super Sport V, I have had it for about 5 years and it has been a great boat. Several months ago I began to contemplate getting another boat and began to look around but wasn't very impressed with the idea of dropping 25k, besides the fact that I don't have 25k anyways:joyous: So in my mind I began to restore my boat and never dreamed that there was such a Starcraft underworld. I found this forum and just about had a heart attack at all the info. and all the awesome projects. That very same night I walked in and informed my wife that the little boat was getting completly restored. So I am going to attempt to post my before pictures and add my first days work of gutting the SS. I also have a couple questions for some of you veteran Starcrafters. Also any input on year would be great.

Attachments

• SS 3.jpg
    SS 3.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 7
  • SS2.jpg
    SS2.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 6
  • SS 1.jpg
    SS 1.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 6

cpdchap

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: You Guys Inspired Me!!!!

Does anyone know where I can get these?

Attachments

• SS part.jpg
    SS part.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 3
  • SS missing part.jpg
    SS missing part.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 3

cpdchap

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It has begun.

Attachments

• SS gutting1.jpg
    SS gutting1.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 4
  • SS gutting.jpg
    SS gutting.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 4

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

Welcome aboard! Nice looking boat! Those transom caps are hard to come by.. sometimes I've seen some up on eBay.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

STARCRAFT16SS

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hello...I'm guessing your boat is late 60s....
*60's based on the arrow through your Starcraft emblems on the stern of the boat...
*before 73 based on pexi-glass windshield..
*before 70/71 based on back of control stand...
-does not have the full cover on the back of the control stand...
*before 70/71 based on aluminum bow seat support closed off at ends
*before 71 based on bottom edge of dash is straight instead of curved

look at Salt4Life's 69 Starcraft SS restore .... yours looks like his 1969 Starcraft SS
GA_Boater beat me to the draw on finding the end caps..:):welcome:

Looks like you have a Johnson trolling motor like I do...
I like the idea of having a 'Johnson" trolling motor to go with my Johnson outboard...:rolleyes:

Attachments

• 2009 09 16 GARRETT AND JEFF FISHING G RESIZED.JPG
    2009 09 16 GARRETT AND JEFF FISHING G RESIZED.JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 3

AJGeorge

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Welcome cp your teardown pics are very familiar to me, I was just at that stage about a month ago. It looks like your getting ready to pull the deck up so it will be interresting to see what condition the foam is in. Some guys have had a real mess with it being waterlogged. I lucked out and mine was all pretty dry even saved some to put back in. I like those Super Sports so I will follow along with this as I hope there is one in my future. I got a pair of the transom caps from MichaelP and will say they look good.

STARCRAFT16SS

Petty Officer 1st Class

The oldest Starcraft SS i've been able to find is sloweroldman's 1968 Starcraft Supersport
so I don't think yours is older than that....:D
pics of my 1971 below
click on advanced search and type in sloweroldman in user name ..box then after checking that out
try doing it again with Salt4Life ...

Attachments

• MY BOAT JOHNSON TROLLING MOTOR J RESIZED.jpg
    MY BOAT JOHNSON TROLLING MOTOR J RESIZED.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 2011 08 20 MY BOAT AT NIGHT A RESIZED 800X600.jpg
    2011 08 20 MY BOAT AT NIGHT A RESIZED 800X600.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 2012 06 17 FATHERS DAY JEFFS BOAT A RESIZED.jpg
    2012 06 17 FATHERS DAY JEFFS BOAT A RESIZED.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 2012 06 17 FATHERS DAY JEFFS BOAT M RESIZED.jpg
    2012 06 17 FATHERS DAY JEFFS BOAT M RESIZED.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 2012 06 17 FATHERS DAY JEFFS BOAT S RESIZED.jpg
    2012 06 17 FATHERS DAY JEFFS BOAT S RESIZED.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 6

dozerII

Admiral

Welcome cp, great to have you onboard. That was a very wise decision to rebuild what you already have and end up with a next to new boat, set up the way you want it for a fraction of the cost of a new one.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Welcome to the Tin-sanity :D

cpdchap

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You guys are awesome, I feel like a teenager with a girl friend, I keep checking this thread and then go on a binge following up on the info. 73 Chieftain thank you again for trying on those transom caps. In response to AJ....I already tore up the deck and it is very dry, I will post some pics. Thanks GA I will contact MichaelP for some caps. I did look at the brochures but still not positive on the year.

cpdchap

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Good call STARCRAFTSS, Sloweroldman's 68 is identical to my boat, including the windshield.

InMotion

Commander

Welcome to Tin-Heaven! Once you begin....it's hard to stop man!!

Rock and Roll!

Looks good so far!

Jim

cpdchap

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Next Question:
On the new decking, I would think that prssure treated plywood would work well because of moisture but have not seen it used on any projects. The second thing is, I would think you would use tongue and groove so there is no deflection at the joints, but once again have not seen this. I am coming at this from a construction stand point and don't want to do something incorrect or that has already been figured out. I also plan on using 3/4" thick, whatever the plywood type may be.

Weep'n Willy

Master Chief Petty Officer

Welcome, and you have made the right decision to restore. You will certainly know the boat inside and out and be confident in it and can relish in the glory upon completion. New boats are nice too....and expensive....keeping life in a seaworthy craft is priceless.

As far as your decking......CCA Aluminum safe plywood......you don't want pressure treated wood eating away your aluminum. Good luck with your project, lot of talented people here with some great info.

STARCRAFT16SS

Petty Officer 1st Class

Oh boy...you have just opened the can of worms....
do a search on pressure treated and aluminum...
most people on this forum say don't do it...with an aluminum boat...chemicals in the
pressure treated wood react with the aluminum ..eating holes in the aluminum...
it seems to be ok with fiberglass boats...
people seem to recommend either exterior grade plywood...(sealed with epoxy or fiberglass)
or the more expensive route of using marine plywood...both types of plywood have waterproof glue
between the layers...but the marine plywood has no voids/empty knot holes in all the layers where
the exterior plywood probably does have some voids...the marine plywood may have more cross layers
I don't have the experience..but from reading these forums...it seems like the more layers..the better.. :D
if you still want to use pressure treated ..at least don't let it make contact with the hull....some people
say the chemicals can still leak out of the wood and reach the hull...:blue:

cpdchap

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok I can handle that.......So marine plywood with an epoxy overlay sounds like the possible ticket.......I will start digging that direction. It will be a few days before I make it happen so obviously any other input, I am all ears........Durabak is looking good to me....????

InMotion

Commander

Arauco is another type of plywood that is close to void free and much less than marine ply. Dozer and I and others also use 2 to 3 coats of high quality spar varnish to seal the wood and then put vinyl on top. No issues that I am aware of at this point. Just another option for you to look at.

J.

STARCRAFT16SS

Petty Officer 1st Class

what kind of seating is going back into the boat???
If you are thinking of pedestal seating...look at the rating for the pedestals..
some are rated at only 5 mph...seems like for the drivers seat .. maybe all the seats being used while moving
...you want to be able to lock the seat from rotating while moving at high speed...
if using pedestal seats and the base is counter sunk into the deck...plan where you want them...
pay attention where the boat ribs are...so you will have the clearance for the bases if they are
located near the sides of the boat...instead of screwing the bases down..I used stainless steal bolts with T-nuts on the
underside of the deck...if using the t nuts..you need to know where your pedestal bases will be and install the
t-nuts before you rivet the plywood deck down...
I tend to go super heavy duty..probably way over-kill....I used 3/4 inch and doubled up where the pedestals were going..1&1/2 inch..
deck is rock solid but probably heavier than it might need to be...I need to loose weight..over 250lbs....
did not want to take chances...:cool:

STARCRAFT16SS

Petty Officer 1st Class

from what I've read in this Forum...if using epoxy...like the transom...the epoxy can not be exposed to the sun....
it does a good job of waterproofing..but does not have uv protection...bad to expose it to the sun...
people paint over the epoxy to protect it..I've heard marine varnish is not so good for waterproofing
but does give good uv protection...I'm thinking of replacing my dash..(hardwood..stained & coated with marine varnish)
and trying hardwood...staining it..then coating it with epoxy and then marine varnish for uv protection...
don't know how well it will work...but I love the look of wood and want it to show through...

my original deck was only 1/2 inch ...but there were no pedestal seats...which I believe can cause
more prying to the plywood deck

looking at your pictures...can't tell...did there use to be sliding doors/panels at the stern where the gas cans
and battery is stored??? some Supersports have sliding doors..others have a vinyl flap..others from the 60's ???:spider: